Any news on new Alphas?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Any news on new Alphas?

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:To be honest Kevin, I would be wary of buying any camera anymore without micro AF adjustments. In some ways I should have just stumped up the extra cash and got the A700, but the reports of AF issues scare me to death.
We are all different, but it takes a lot more than that to scare me to death. :)

My Canon DRebel/300D, KM 7D, Canon 30D, Sony A100, and Sony A700 don't have FF/BF issues. The 7D in particular had a problem with AF at wide angles, but not at middle and longer focal lengths. The other DSLRs do a bit also, but not as much. I learned to just zoom in a bit, AF, and zoom back out when that is an issue. For the last few years that has always worked and hasn't failed me. I don't think micro AF adjustments would fix that anyway.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun May 03, 2009 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I've done some screen shots and put up a front page post:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/0 ... ure-model/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's almost certain that the lenses will be launched with the camera, will be very low in cost and have no mechanical drive coupling (that is, the body have no mechanical drive). I think it is also possible that if video has been added, changes will have been made to the SSS system. Right now, the best sensor stabilisation for video use would be the Pentax system which is virtually silent.

David

Surely a lack of in body motor would be a disaster due to almost the entire lens range supporting screw drive only.
Secondly, if this happens on live view models, then they could do a D40 and whip it out of the lower end one too.
This would confirm my worst fears for A mount

Nothing wrong with micro motors for lenses, argued sony should have done this some time ago, but it's going to take a long time to add this to the range. The A200 proves the cost of an in body motor is not an issue, I think it would make sense to keep it long term, even with more lenses supporting in lens motors
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, of course it's to be hoped that future models do NOT drop the in-body motor as Nikon has done. I only raise the possibility. Prophet of doom. And all prophets of doom have been wrong in the past - we are still here :-)

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

well judging by the A700 manual. the AF drive is pretty substantial. and would be a hand assembled part for sure. It's all one part number supplied as a unit including the ribbon cables that supply power and control. if something happens to those cables that have to be replaced along with the drive unit... not available seperatly. although those flexible borads can be repaired
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:A thread on Dyxum includes claims that this camera has been seen, and that other models due for release include the A230, A380, A800 and A1000.
I am fairly certain that the A380 and A230 models suggested in that dyxum thread are plays on Airbus model numbers. The Airbus A380, for instance, is a 555' double-decker airliner.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

KevinBarrett wrote:
I am fairly certain that the A380 and A230 models suggested in that dyxum thread are plays on Airbus model numbers. The Airbus A380, for instance, is a 555' double-decker airliner.
Damn... I'll need a new camera bag :|
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I cannot believe that Sony will introduce a new DSLR without an "in body" motor. In view of their limited release of new lenses it would virtually be a body with one standard lens for a long time to come. Better then with an "up-to-date" successor to the venerable R1. My son is using mine and I am constantly reminded of how good that camera is despite the appalling EVF and small 2" LV. The Jpegs coming out of that camera needs little "tuning" and they are pin sharp with beautiful colour.
I am hoping for a real "cracker" of a replacement for the A700 with an upgraded APS-C sensor of at least 15-16 Mp. If Sony come up with the goods my A700 will be passed on within the family and I shall have one as probably my final DSLR purchase.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I always thought it was a tad strange for an otherwise very astute camera company like Nikon too abandon in body AF, it means you have to add at least some bulk too lenses that you and your camera bag didn't need, and buy an AF motor every time you buy a lens...just like with SSS, if you want it with C&N, you have too buy it all over again every time you purchase a new lens...hmm
Greg
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm pretty sure the removal of an in-body focus motor would be a concession also to help a camera's movie-making capabilities (motor=noise). This then provides us with our first big example of how video compromises regular picture-taking.

Long live the AF-motor!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

The moment movie making influences stills photography design, is the time to hang it all up and go home!
I have no problems with any makers slapping whatever stuff they want to on cameras, "but" only if they do not handicap a normal photographer's camera. I don't think it's possible to bring an all in one wonder machine out that can 100% satisfy video or still's shooters. Many compromises in handling and features means it is not easy.

Even if sony wanted people to play with video..there is no reason to remove the in body motor. I bet almost all A mount users would be strongly against such a move. But as we know, sony have an amazing habit of taking everything I have ever said or suggested, and doing the exact reverse! This leads me to think, they might have just done it. I hope I am horribly wrong.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I will never ever purchase a DSLR without an in-built motor.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

alphaomega wrote:I will never ever purchase a DSLR without an in-built motor.
My Canon 30D that I used to have worked pretty well and it didn't have an AF motor in the body.
bfitzgerald

bakubo wrote:
My Canon 30D that I used to have worked pretty well and it didn't have an AF motor in the body.

Hmm and when Canon went to AF bodies, remind me exactly how many lenses were screw driven AF ones?
Very different situation from Sony/Minolta.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, I would, IF it would work with my MD mount lenses! I never did, and still don't see the need for AF on an SLR. Just more things to go wrong. Of course, I buy cars w/o electric windows, too. Not a Luddite, just don't like auto-everything that adds expense, complications and more things to break.

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Hmm and when Canon went to AF bodies, remind me exactly how many lenses were screw driven AF ones?
Very different situation from Sony/Minolta.
I was replying to alphaomega. He didn't say he would never buy a Sony with no AF motor in the body. If Sony goes away then we can switch to Canon, Nikon, or some other brand. alphaomega won't consider Canon in that case just because of the AF motor not being in the body. Nikon may eventually be eliminated from his consideration too.