A500 and A550?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A500 and A550?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony have not done LV via main sensor, not yet, and I don't think they will. Again on video, they have resisted this so far..and I think knowing Sony's track record, I would imagine they won't be doing it any time soon. Of course..over an extended period of time, they may have to in order to keep up with rivals.

Looking at the model numbers alone, it is telling me that it's more likely we get LV models (2 suggests sensor differences), aka A350 type of camera, I think even sony knows the low end LV cameras have viewfinders that simply won't cut the mustard at a higher mid range body. Maybe we will get improved VF's on these ones. However, the concern is we get 2 better featured LV models, with a more consumer slant..than genuine stuff that mid level users want. Aka micro AF adjust..MLU, most of the features of the A700. I could live with a LV with a decent pentamirror, "if" the lcd is designed properly, and it does not inhibit use of the OVF (as the 350 does IMO), and it has a good feature set aka mini A700.

If not, then I won't be looking at these models either. And I sure hope Sony keep the better battery for these ones, and I would prefer CF (but this isn't a major issue) But too early to say on this now, frankly I don't care for the LV designs presented so far, I simply want a more traditional SLR type camera, and I think Sony is moving away from users such as myself.

Worst case scenario is 5 models on the market that won't fit what I want, and a new A700 at some point in the future that is priced at a point higher than I would be willing to pay for. Might be an idea to get an A700 at some point shortly..else I could be left in the cold! Saying that, if Sony don't have a more trad mid level non LV model for users, that might leave yet another gap. But I am grasping here, it's too soon to say. Other options include sourcing older models off ebay ;-) Now you know why I like film..ah life was just pretty simple :wink:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

KevinBarrett wrote: Live view wouldn't have to compromise the OVF if it were done off the main sensor. Look at the D300; same sensor but with live view, plus an optical pentaprism that covers 100% and magnifies it more greatly than the a700. Yes, please!

Other upgrades I'd want over the a700: 14 bit A/D conversion, micro focus adjustment, and a faster frame rate. (All stuff that the D300 has :( )
Okey dokey, a D300 featured cam is a very respectable neighbourhood, I agree....but matey the dang thing is more than double the price of an A700...you might have to consult with the 'chief' before you start getting serious about spending that amount of moolah, just too have a "to die for OVF" +LV and lens AF tune, extra on top of what the A700 has.
Greg

ps. Funny how I don't seem to have hardly any focus problems with my antiquated A100..well not that I've noticed anyway...the thing can focus (and expose) accurately in almost dark conditions (as long as it's got a flash with a red beam on it, so it seems).
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

When the D300 and a700 debuted, they were only a couple of hundred dollars away from each other, but it is the a700 that has dropped significantly in price. I will bet Sony would rather make a $1600 camera and sell it at that price throughout its production life than have to trim it's price down. And I would really prefer my next camera to remain competitive for as long as the D300 has. The a700 has remained competitive in price, but that means very little to the early takers.

I would hope that when Sony replaces the a700 they replace it with a model that is at least as well featured as the D300 is now. Of course, the new model will have to be competitive also with whatever replaces the D300!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I know where you would like the A700 development direction to go Kevin and I agree (except for the price) it would be nice to have an A-mount direct competitor too the Nikon 100 series cams, but it was pretty much widely agreed at the time that the D300 was in a class of it's own, pricewise and featurewise, I don't think there is even an equivalent in the Canon realm, probably the closest is the 5D Mk II, but then that's a FF so that would be like comparing apples and oranges...no common baseline too work from to get any meaningful/worthwhile result.
I'll take your word on the price thing at release over in your area Kevin, but over here when the D300 came out a couple of months or so after the A700 it was about half as much again...and Sony Style Australia weren't overly generous with their pricing either from memory, I think they had it listed at release at $2400 Aud. for the body....definitely not cheap, and for someone too trundle over and buy a D300 would have set you back somewhere around 3.5 big for the body....here that is, definitely a cam for those who are very serious about their photography. :(
Greg

ps. Alas, despite how desirable the D300 is, it still falls short though in one important area....nil SSS... :mrgreen: