K5 scores extremely high DxO mark

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: K5 scores extremely high DxO mark

Unread post by Mark K »

:mrgreen:
My last contact of using a33 five hours made me change my idea..that the constant AF via this SLT is great, at least for my style of shooting kids
Today, I brought my newly acquainted 70-300G mounting on an a850 trying to get indoor photos of my kid. With ISO 3200, a850 is simply just not that good. This reminds me of cameras like K5/D7000 or upcoming A7xx, if I can wait that long.
bfitzgerald wrote:I build my own pc's and have done for some time now. Apple make nice stuff but bottom line is bang per buck you're paying well over the odds for what is essentially a pc hardware in a nice case with their own OS. Nice and all but terrible value for money. If it works great but I've less choices with Apple (Intel only) That's my point on that hence I would never buy an Apple computer myself.

They also seem to have a habit of not allowing easy access to batteries which is a glaring design oversight IMO. The A55 is pretty nice, bit small..some strange choices (erm 3:2 aspect ratio yet they don't have a VF of that native size..odd very odd) EVF is pretty good really, for an EVF I'll give it that. But for landscape, portrait photography 10fps is redundant and of no real use. So a big headline fps was never going to make much difference to me on that side. I'd have to agree with Carls's A33 review on AMW on this one..nice but it could have been better. Really annoying about no ISO in the VF yet again (even more odd esp with the EVF), again barren and bare customisation wise.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

The painful howling is diminishing.
The tone is softening.
He has been to the mountain top.
Coming out of the closet.

"The A55 is pretty nice..."
"EVF is pretty good really, for an EVF I'll give it that."

It's only a matter of time now.
I wonder if we'll ever know when he takes the plunge.

Ed
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I said it was pretty good, but not outstanding really nowhere near as good as some make out hype wise..but then a few mins play in a shop in never enough. Personally I wouldn't buy an EVF over an OVF model, but that's not the main problem with Alpha cameras. The same old niggles are there from years past. (which I won't list again as you all know them!)

I found this from the Dynax 7 information page:
"Predictive Focus Control
Multi-Dimentional Predictive Focus Control System is capable of tracking abrupt changes in speed and direction, such as U-turns, while maintaining accurate focus"

I'm not convinced SLT is needed for good AF performance and subject tracking
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

bfitzgerald wrote:I said it was pretty good, but not outstanding really nowhere near as good as some make out hype wise..but then a few mins play in a shop in never enough. Personally I wouldn't buy an EVF over an OVF model, but that's not the main problem with Alpha cameras. The same old niggles are there from years past. (which I won't list again as you all know them!)
I'm not convinced SLT is needed for good AF performance and subject tracking
We fully understand. It's difficult to admit these things at first.

Little by little, step by step...

Ed
bfitzgerald

edrice wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote: We fully understand. It's difficult to admit these things at first.

Little by little, step by step...

Ed

Little by little what? Predictive AF has been around for ages
Neonsquare
Heirophant

Unread post by Neonsquare »

@Barry
Have you ever thought about the consequences of fast FPS RAW-Shooting combined with no mirror shake? Ever tried PhotoAcute's superresolution algorithm on some RAW files? The A55 by itself already shows new use cases for multishot modes: Noise reduction, Dynamic Range Increase, Panorama, 3D. With a Software like PhotoAcute, you can do some of this things in RAW too (noise reduction, DRI/HDR, object removal) and you can combine multiple RAW-Shots into a single superresolution picture. DRI/HDR and superresolution sounds like things that may be interesting for landscape photography.

You can do this with others cameras too, but one nice thing with the SLT is that they actually provide something like very fast FPS multishot modes with "always on SVA".

Does your Pentax Kx allow SVA and serial photo modes at the same time or is SVA restricted to 2s-shutter?
bfitzgerald

I have seen that software and I know what you mean. Mirror slap is mostly a problem with longer focal lengths or higher magnification within a certain range of shutter speeds. 2sec MLU is a reasonable thing to have in most cases.
One of the grumble points is the restricted bracketing range of these bodies which won't please raw HDR shooters. I'm not one myself so it's less of an issue. But a simple firmware fix would work wonders here.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

SLT is a very promising technology..and how this translates into higher optical quality is yet to know. K5's score partly reflects the potential of a newer generation of CMOS sensor which leads me to wonder, if a possibility of the existence of sensor at 24x36mm
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes it makes one wonder, a 30 or 35MP FF camera with the latest sensor technology and sensor management firmware would seriously challenge the MF cameras...it wouldn't be long before those guys would be asking for some new sensor backs and firmware updates to justify their original outlay...a bunch of MF lenses ain't chickenfeed; we think Zeiss and G lenses are expensive, (they are actually).
Greg
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

mike2008 wrote:Blah blah blah. There are 100's of cameras that don't fit your purposes barry, why only pick on the A55?
Maybe because he is jealous? His Kx isn't even close to A55, not even AF points in OVF :) lol
bfitzgerald

OneGuyKs wrote:
mike2008 wrote:Blah blah blah. There are 100's of cameras that don't fit your purposes barry, why only pick on the A55?
Maybe because he is jealous? His Kx isn't even close to A55, not even AF points in OVF :) lol

I don't do jealous never have. I admire great photos and photographers but I've never been one for gear love. There are a few thing I could pick on the K-x with as it's not perfect by any means. But for my needs (the crucial point here) it's a far better more rounded offering than anything Sony have on the market.

I don't need 10fps (nor anywhere near it), don't really care about AF video, and stuff like smirk detection and sweep panoramic are not even on the might be interested list. Don't knock Pentax they actually do respond to users..they do FW updates, they addressed their jpeg problems (Sony have not), they put a lot of customisation and thought into their products. They are not aiming for the same market Sony is, that's why I like what they are doing..they make good solid products for photographers.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Recent published image samples from DP Review, comparing K5 with A55, D7000 and 60D also prove the DxO mark is at least partly correct.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

Mark K wrote:Recent published image samples from DP Review, comparing K5 with A55, D7000 and 60D also prove the DxO mark is at least partly correct.
In what respect?

Ed