I hate to say it..but

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: I hate to say it..but

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Sonolta wrote:Pako style...5DMKII + 85 1.2 L (NO IS) Final dance of the evening handheld under the stars...extreme lowlight sample.

http://www.vimeo.com/4878151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Sonolta
my style?
I have no style on video, because I haven't start doing motion yet ;-)
Then, for this subject I'll prefer it sharper and contrasty (just a little)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It looks like the next thing everyone will want is pushbutton power zoom and Auto full time AF...I guess, what is the price of a commercial digicam...somewhere between $10,000-$30,000 from memory...to get comparible picture performance that is, so what is available now in DSLR video represents pretty decent bang for the buck, for sure.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The thing I've always found interesting about human culture is, down through the ages in all sorts of cultures, just what is considered wude and taboo etc. some cultures 'kiss' by rubbing noses, in some the sight of a bare ankle, (or was it elbows, I disremember), was extremely naughty, there always seemed too be some 'hang-up' in the woodwork somewhere, the pendulum swings back and forth between liberalism, puritanism and some weird fetish...and so it goes, in the end who cares, sooner or later we are all going to be dust at some point, then nothing will matter.
Greg

ps. But Kevin does have a point, in view of current acceptable behavioural parameters, full nudity is taboo....in front of the children anyway.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sonolta wrote:Not too many children shooting D90's, 500D's or 5DMKII's and posting in here! Kevin and I disagree on many things...the definition of crummy, ill-suited, and mega-gross quickly come to mind and we are talking about on this thread alone. :shock:
Actually the layout/design of a DSLR does make it fall into the ill-suited category when it comes to video I think, but with the right attachments support etc. it is actually really good, that 5D Mk II video with the attachments, was outstanding, so I am going to revise my opinion of video in DSLR's and the usefulness of it.
All I am saying is that he could have asked me nicely to remove the link...instead he went for the "Official Board Warning"... :roll: If I were moderator I would worry about things other than full frontal artistic nudity that is buried deep within a video, that happens to be a relevent link that is buried deep within an obscure, off-titled, V-DSLR thread.

It's no biggie...just a little 'real' conversation to go with the videos tonight. :)

-Sonolta
At first glance I'd have too agree, on face of it the official board warning sounds severe, because you did issue a warning about nudity in your intro, so those who are offended by nudity didn't/don't have to watch it, but then the overall governership/rules of the forum has in the rules that nudity shouldn't be posted either....
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Don you would have too admit the DSLR wasn't designed with video in mind from the start so even though it can abviously produce cine quality video (5D MkII) it does not have the dedicated video controls that a full on Movie/commercial/digicam has, I've already mentioned two, no power zoom and no fulltime AF whilst shooting, so what I meant was the ergonomics of the thing, but with some attachments and some support even just a pod the thing is transformed.
BTW the 35mm adaptors are I gather used for DOF reduction, most small formats suffer from too much DOF, even good ones with 2/3 video chips, that's why they are popular from what I can see.
Greg

ps. Don I personally couldn't give a Tinkers cuss about the video.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I meant the video with the nude subject, and get off your high horse.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Don are you going to go right thru the night over there it must be late, surely.
Greg

Haw! I just realized 'clip' as in clip clop :D
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I'm thinking that now there might be a price reduction on big and medium cine cameras soon, seeing as now a film project doesn't need too outlay so much money for huge cameras and crews for so much of the shoot, not when there are those 35mm (Redrock) adaptors plus high class DSLR video, all at a fraction of the cost.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sonolta wrote:LOL...It's 4:40 AM...I'll be sleeping in late as I have a game to shoot out-of-town tomorrow...ooops, I mean tonight. By the time I get home from the game, off-load the pix with a set to DVD and a set to HD, quick review the pix, edit a dozen or two of the pix, write an intro article/story, and then upload the pix to a gallery the night will be gone. In-other-words I will be staying up all night tomorrow night as I do on many game nights....I am usually very productive at night, and some my best editing work is done in the quiet late night hours...I am often up editing pix or working with pix and websites until almost the crack of dawn, especially when working on new or fresh projects. My wife of almost 25 years has an ever-changing schedule....like tonight she did not get home until after 1AM, so to get any quality time in with her some days I must stay up late. Some other days of the week she is off at 4-5 pm so it just depends on what schedules we have. I spent several years in the US Navy where often I would be working on less than 4 hours of sleep. If I can get 4-5 hours I am good to go...as long as I can get some caffeine in me that is. 8)

-Sonolta
Ya gotta slow down occasionally and smell the roses, otherwise you'll pop a gasket at some point. :shock:
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... asics.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never blown a head gasket myself..but I know a few boy racers that have :mrgreen:
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Theres stock agencies out there that deal in short motiion clips. so at least there is a place to sell what you do.

http://www.motionkit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lol ... do your head gaskets in 6 easy steps.. you could be done by lunchtime!!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry, but although I do not NEED video I certainly want it and I'm about to jump for either the 500D (if they provide a firmware update similar to the 5D MkII) or the D5000. There is a quality to the results from these cameras which makes an entirely different type of video possible. They are not suitable for shooting the kids playing at home or chasing the pet dog on a beach, anyone who thinks they replace a domestic camcorder is going to be seriously disappointed. But they do stuff no camcorder can do and I would like to explore some of that.
I still have 3 Canon mount lenses and I am thinking about getting a Canon 500D so that I have something to use them on. I don't think I would use the video mode, but would probably give it a try just for grins. I have discovered something a bit disconcerting about the 500D though. I read in a review that the 500D raw files vary between 20mb and 30mb each, depending on subject and ISO. It seems to be excessively large for a 15mp camera. I am also currently using the 12mp Sony A700 and my cRAW files are about 12.5mb. I am confused why the 500D with just 3mp more has raw files that are 7.5mb to 17.5mb larger. Any ideas? I suppose Canon doesn't compress their raw files, but I seem to recall when I had the 30D and 300D that I read that Canon *does* compress.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bakubo wrote:I am confused why the 500D with just 3mp more has raw files that are 7.5mb to 17.5mb larger. Any ideas?
Maybe more bits per pixel? 14 or even 16??
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

More noise I suspect - less compression efficiency due to the very noisy 15+ megapixel image. And it is, even by Sony standards, it's just that Canon owners don't seem to notice the noise!
David
alphaPDX
Heirophant

Unread post by alphaPDX »

David Kilpatrick wrote: They are not suitable for shooting the kids playing at home or chasing the pet dog on a beach, anyone who thinks they replace a domestic camcorder is going to be seriously disappointed. But they do stuff no camcorder can do and I would like to explore some of that.
That's always been my fear with dSLR video for the masses: newbies who see depth of field as "most of the image is out of focus!" and spread their misunderstanding as fact. I was reluctant to give up my P&S for losing video, now I'm just as reluctant to take it back - how weird is that? :roll: I expect I'll get it whether I seek it or not - I definitely want Sony to keep up! - and when it's there I too will explore. I feel that nobody really has a great grip on this part of the market, so a well-reasoned and full-featured video implementation can make up for 6 months of delay.
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff