HVL-F58AM flash gun

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
paul_32
Acolyte

Re: HVL-F58AM flash gun

Unread post by paul_32 »

I'm interested in the setup of camera and flashes, and your subject.

What's the advantage of a wireless setup?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

One of the main advantages of WL is, no cables between the camera and flashes for people to snag, trip over etc. If you are in a studio situation and there is only the photographer and subject it probably won't matter too much, as long as the subject can still "see" after being "flashed" for a while, upon leaving the set after the session is over. But if there are people milling around there is always a chance that someone will knock over an expensive flash or camera after snagging a cable. (I've heard some can knock them over even without cables) :roll:
The other advantage is, you can use the camera in P or A mode (even S mode too I think, without checking, would be handy for outdoor/daylight/balance fill, backlit groups etc.) as well as M if you so desire.
Greg
ps As an aside, and while I think of it the 5600HSD/F56 flash unit, if used outside, has a great propensity for switching itself too HSS mode, so one has too watch it like a hawk in this regard (much reduced power), and can result in underexposures, especially when taken back inside, (it doesn't 'always' switch itself back to normal flash again, I've noticed on occasion, even with low ISO and low shutter speed).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I am posting this from another thread, copying the info: we seem to have flash discussion under DSLR System instead of flash, and in a thread which was really related to images from the A900 - but that's how it goes.

Here is an example with the 5600, 3600 and 42 all in a row, being wirelessly controlled using mode CTRL2 via Custom Setting CO3 on the 58, which is attached to the camera and used as a bounce flash controller. The two-group ratio possible is only between the camera (CTRL) and the remote flashes (RMT). The 42 flash is always in the RMT group, and can never be assigned to RMT2; the 56/5600 and 36/3600 are also always in RMT group but can only be fired with the controller set to CTRL not CTRL+ (you get CTRL mode as stated above - adjust Custom Setting 03 to CTRL2, and the plus sign will disappear from the CRTL+, meaning you are now in CTRL mode for two groups only - on-camera and off-camera).

The controller's ratio has been adjusted here to change the level of bounce flash, relative to the fixed TTL output of the remotes. Each remote will give power in proportion to its GN rating. The 56 and 36 make a natural 2:1 lighting ratio, and the 56 with 42 is a bit closer. It's easy to work out - think of 56 as enough light for f5.6 when the 36 gives enough for f3.6 and the 42, for f4.2 - since they use slightly different coverage angles to compute their powers, it is not strictly accurate, but enough to help you get a working lighting ratio without needing further controls.

When the 42 is used with an additional external 58, is always in the Group 'RMT' and the controller is always in the group 'CTRL'. The extra 58 can be in 'RMT' or 'RMT2' groups, but never also in 'CTRL'. Further 42s can not be in 'RMT2', you must have TWO 58s to be able to use X:X:X ratio setting. If you buy two 42s, thinking the 58 can now vary the power of these it doesn't work according to the manual, but I have not tested it.

I could probably draw a Venn diagram to describe this complex-but-simple behaviour. Whatever the case, to get the best from the A900 or indeed the A700 (the 58 must be used on it to get X:X:X or X:X ratio control, the built in flash can not do it) you need either 58/58/58 or 58/48/42 as a set up.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: I'll be very interested,

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Yagil wrote:when someone will provide a comparison of the Sony 58 and the Metz 58, Including W/L capability, of course.
The Metz has the additional promise of firmware updates, and the no-pre-flash mode which is a great plus for me (although, in effect, It's the same technology that my father has used with his vivitar 285 flash on Konica T3....). If the Metz will have a f/w update that will alow it to do grouping, that would be probably a killer app, given the price difference.

BTW, has anybody tried to connect the old Minolta flash controller to an A700/900 and see what happens?
I guess it was Mathias, on this forum or in the Minolta Yahoo groups, that tried the Metz 58 at Photokina, and the Rep told him the firmware for the A900 is a Beta, so they don't know yet if all the functionalities (groups...) will work on it.

The Minolta wireless controler doesn't work on Digital. Sony have to come with one (for free) for the A900

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Thanks, Pako!

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

well, maybe the A900,000 will offer backward compatibility... I'm still waiting for OTF metering.
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

HVL-F58AM AWB and the A700

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

I have a question. Since upgrading to Version 4 firmware on my A700 my AWB when using flash has been rendered useless. This makes editing the images from an event a nightmare because you can't stick a grey card in every shot. I have a problem report opened to Sony that has been sent to Japan for fixing.

I've read that the 58 has the ability to capture WB information and send that to the camera. Does anyone know if the A700 has the capability to receive and use the WB information coming from the HVL-F58AM flashgun? How is the AWB on the A700 when using this 58 flash?
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The A700 is fully compatible with the 58's AWB/WB enhancements. I have not seen any colour shift since firmware v4 but I am using a 58 only.

David
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

Hey David,

Thanks for the response. My color problems are with my 56... but in version 3 firmware AWB when using flash was very reliable.
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com