A700 & A350 with Minolta Auto 360PX Flash?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

A700 & A350 with Minolta Auto 360PX Flash?

Unread post by alphaomega »

I still have a working Minolta Auto 360PX flash I used on my X700s. Can this flash unit be used on my A700 and/or A350?

If so what adaptor will I need and what functions would be working?

There is a "Flash Hot Shoe Adapter for Minolta Dynax Sony Alpha" being advertised on ebay for small change. Has anyone tried it? The advert by Virtual Villages seems to imply that it will work with a Minolta legacy flash fitted on to a Sony DSLR.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A700 & A350 with Minolta Auto 360PX Flash?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It will sync, it will not signal flash ready to the camera, and the exposure is not TTL but must use the flash's external sensor.

I have the perfect accessory for this - the Off-Flash Sensor. It plugs into the 360PX, has a spiral cable lead which goes to a sensor that mounts directly on the camera prism (or in this case, on the adaptor). You then get TTL-like performance with the freedom to position the flash where you like for close-ups or bounce.

Yours in return for a getting a picture into Photoworld Gallery, if you want (I am now looking for stuff to consider!).

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Thanks for the quick response David. Whatever transpires I will certainly post some pictures on the Gallery first of A350 and then of A700 efforts.
I have dug out a box entitled Minolta Cable OC - never even opened. It has a spiral cable and an adaptor that would fit a flash shoe at the one end and a round male marked Cable OC at the other end. I wonder if that is of any use?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Correction to my message above. I have now tested the Cable OC and it will not fit the Alpha DSLR. It is designed for the old X700 flash connection only. Sorry about my haste.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There was, and is, a replacement Cable OC using the new shoe. It will plug directly into the socket of the 360PX, but you still will not get TTL of any kind.

David