New A100 owner

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
lednam
Acolyte

New A100 owner

Unread post by lednam »

How much does the camera noise reduction affect IQ? Do you recommend turning it off when shooting jpeg (fix in photoshop)?
Other recommended setting would be appreciated!

Kind regards!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The general high-ISO etc NR can't be turned off on the A100 - it only applies to exposures longer than 1 second, and it is dark-frame subtraction (this can be turned on or off). DRO seems to have more effect on image quality. For top quality, NR on/off seems to make no difference, but using DRO+ definitely has some effect on noise and detail.

On the 7D/5D, my own opinion is that sharper results (even when using RAW) are obtained with NR turned off, as in these cameras it is high-ISO/general NR which is being referred to in the menu control.

When shooting JPEG, it's probably best to leave it on, because the NR is closely linked to the JPEG processing. The general quality of noise freedom in A100 JPEGs beats almost any RAW process, but compression is fairly high and NR tends to smooth out precise detail. The 7D/5D JPEGs are much better (on their best settings).

David
lednam
Acolyte

Unread post by lednam »

Thank´s for a very good answer!

I will now do some tests on the new camera, also buyed Tamron 18-250. I´m excited to see what results I can get from my old Minolta 200/2,8 ...

Lednam