New Memory Sticks

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

New Memory Sticks

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: New Memory Sticks

Unread post by 01af »

The same has just been announced for the SD memory card format. I guess CF cards will develop to those specifications silently, which no particular announcements required.

-- Olaf
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I've been waiting for the memory capacities to go up and the price down so that we can finally make the switch to flash memory for computers. I just updated my laptop my replacing my 120 GB drive with a 250, at a cost of $85. When I can put flash memory in there of that capacity, even at twice that price, I'll do it.

Of course, having a 250 GB CF card in my camera would mean I could shoot a few more shots at a time!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sounds like a pr response to the SD group and their multi TB SD cards.

I was hoping sony had seen enough sense to drop the format entirely..their continued presence in the market will be snubbed by myself ;-)

But being serious, this is for video people, I cannot imagine any real need for capacities this large on still cameras.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote: But being serious, this is for video people, I cannot imagine any real need for capacities this large on still cameras.
Not right now, but wait until you get an 80 MP camera!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

This is also for the new gen cameras that will take pictures in a different way.

I don't like SD. Micro SD is a piece of junk. The adapters to SD don't always make good contact. Memory Stick, incl. M2 is more rigid. Sony should stick with the stick.
bfitzgerald

Micro SD is simply the same kind of thing as the MS Micro M2 card. Never had a problem with the adaptors.

I will say SD has some trouble going from normal to SDHC, that was not handled well. But the fact remains, Memory stick is only of any use for sony products..and that is the real problem, nothing wrong with it as such, just SD is FAR more popular..

I hope the MS dies out, and sony learn their lesson once and for all, don't buck the trends with your own unpopular proprietary format. I have a personal boycott on all MS only devices, I won't go near them at all, and forget cybershot too..unless something exceptional came along, I won't be buying one based on memory stick alone.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Of course not, but I have products with all these flashes and M2 is more rigid than Micro SD and MS is more rigid than SD, and I did have problems with Micro SD to SD adapters. You are right that one product would be better; this is another Bata vs. VHS war, same players, same winners, same losers, but as I said, except for price, I like the Sony product better.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The best argument I ever heard for memorystick is that there are more cameras using the MS format for memory than cameras using the CF format. Even if there are more cameras using SD than MS, the argument should also prevail against the CF format.

I personally know of a family of 8 that are all using Sony P&S cameras specifically for the common memory format. They've got just about every grade of Sony camera that's ever used MS, and when one of them graduates to an SLR, I'm sure it will be an Alpha.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

Not everyone has an interest in other Sony products, I don't rate the cybershots much myself, though of late they have got a fair bit better.
Simply an argument of practicality more than anything else. And with so many other makers using SD for compacts (and some for DSLR's..), it's a kind of slam dunk reality that is hard to ignore. Honestly, every media device I use is SD..so why would I buy a non SD compact?

As for CF..well if we were Mr Spock I guess the world would only have one memory format..as it is, I can live with 2 for the time being..but 3..nope.

I think its also clear Sony themselves know MS isn't a selling point for DSLR's, because not one of them is MS only..good reason for that, it would hurt sales.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I agree a MS only DSLR would be a retrograde step for Sony.
However I have just bought a Sony 8GB MSProDuo to permanently fill the second slot in my new A700 for those "emergency" moments when the CF shows 1 frame remaining. At just under £30 it is a similar price to a good quality CF card and will take 318 RAW+JPG frames (remember that is nearly 9 rolls of film!).

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

CF pins can be bent in the camera. MS is a better design, naturally also better than SD.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

By your logic SD shouldn't exist, since Memory Stick all ready existed.

Sony worked with Sandisk and created memory stick. Later another company worked with Sandisk to create SD. Why should have SD been created when MS was all ready here.

MS is the second oldest living flash memory format we have, only CF is older. Sony worked to create a smaller format without going nuts. Sony hardly bucked a trend when they made it.

It's not like Sony was trying to block folks from using MS. other just decided to make yet another format. I don't use SD or MS. but I have really nothing against MS. My little experiance makes me prefer MS if I had to chose, better form factor than MS.

I personally want to see SxS take off. Another Sony-Sandisk (thus the name I would say), creation, though reality they didn't do much, it's just an expresscard. Others make the same thing.
bfitzgerald wrote:Micro SD is simply the same kind of thing as the MS Micro M2 card. Never had a problem with the adaptors.

I will say SD has some trouble going from normal to SDHC, that was not handled well. But the fact remains, Memory stick is only of any use for sony products..and that is the real problem, nothing wrong with it as such, just SD is FAR more popular..

I hope the MS dies out, and sony learn their lesson once and for all, don't buck the trends with your own unpopular proprietary format. I have a personal boycott on all MS only devices, I won't go near them at all, and forget cybershot too..unless something exceptional came along, I won't be buying one based on memory stick alone.
bfitzgerald

The fact MS came ist, has little bearing on the current situation.
Bar a few defunct Konica compacts, I am not aware of any significant use of the format, by other makers.

The situation today, is that MS is just a sony product. SD is a widely used cross manufacturer product.
It might have a bit of life in it, but that is only because sony sell a fair few compacts. They are not the only maker hanging on though, XD is even more loathsome than MS..and yet Olympus refuse to give up.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'ts a wonder that MS didn't become more widespread thoughout the camera industry, rather than going to the trouble of reinventing the wheel...SD, XD etc. what was it, Sony charging too much for the MS??
Greg