Sub zero VS CMOS noise ...

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Sub zero VS CMOS noise ...

Unread post by InTheSky »

Hello,

I was thinking tonight, about using the beautiful condition we have outside in Quebec this time ( -30c today ), to do some experimentations on the CMOS technology. But, just before trying any test and probably colling myself outside, doest any of you have ever trying to measure this ?

I wanted to shot some sky picture, but unfortunately Montreal City is pollution for the beautiful color. (i will need to wait for Lac-saint-Jean sky in North forest for good view). But, i have some subject on the ground too :-).

For now this is just idea for testing, but if you have time to share any experience, this will be kind.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sub zero VS CMOS noise ...

Unread post by Javelin »

I've shot in -25C for about 2 hours. but wasn't paying attention to ISO.I was also using flash for them too so maybe ISO 800 max :/ your getting the weather we had last week and week before ... good luck. I was speaking to a girl that works at a place off peel street and she got her hand stuck on the doorhandle of the building which caused her some damage so be carefullw with wet hands.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

when i was a teenager, i remember in my born place (Normandin, in North of Lac-Saint-jean, Quebec) that on the winter the temperature was -41c on a night, and i have to go outside to change my father car of place in the parking and thinking i was tough (at this age it is normal :-) ), i went outside without glove. Result : i burn my hand on the steering wheel of the old Buick of my father ! The pain only happened a few moment return in home and the next day. (we learn from mistake they said :-) ).

I have went outside yesterday for playing again as part two with the sigma bigma, and i didn't take my glove resistant to wind, the
result, after 30 minutes my hands order me to come home :-).

A good question there, what is your technique to secure your camera when you enter home ? On my side I'm bringing two plastic bag and take off my memory card before entering home and covering the camera with one bag seal and after that I'm placing that in another bag seal. and I'm leaving the camera alone for about 1 hour (or more depending if the camera is still frozen).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I have a giant zip lock kind of bag made for clothes. it's about 60cms square. my whole pack goes in there or just the camera and lens depending on what is cold and leave it for an hour after comming inside. Sometimes I do the same thing going from warm to cold too. I have some large desicant bags i put im my pack too. sometimes it can't be avoided (getting condensation) and it seems to work well if I leave my pack closed everything seems to stay dry