Battery recommendation - NP-FM55H

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
AndyG
Acolyte

Battery recommendation - NP-FM55H

Unread post by AndyG »

In view of the extortionate price of an official NP-FM55H as a spare for my A100, I've been looking round at equivalents and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I'd rather stick with a known brand (e.g. Energizer) but am open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Andy
AndyG
Acolyte

Re: Battery recommendation - NP-FM55H

Unread post by AndyG »

I thought I'd got a genuine Sony (Japan) one from a UK eBay seller. It never lasted as long as the one that came with the camera and has just died (charger light flashing).

I can find numerous 'un-named' equivalents for around £14, with a Hama branded at nearer £30 and this from a reliable supplier I've used before: http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/So ... ttery.html

Cheers,

Andy
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Hama and Delkin should be reasonably safe. My China-brand NP400 cells for the 7D/A2 have not survived as well as the genuine KM ones. So far, I've managed to get a decent stash of NP-FM500H Sony batteries for the A700/900/350 by grabbing some bargains when they appeared - at only twice the price of the Chinese clones. I have one cloned NP-FM55MH for the A100, it is probably not as good as the real one, but since the new type fit the A100 anyway I have put those away. No point in risking taking an NP-FM55MH type with me, when it will not fit the newer bodies.

David
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Battery Cautionary

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

Honestly, since having a nearly disasterous fire while attempting to charge a Chinese 'equivalent' battery for a Sony point and shoot camera, if it isn't the real deal, I refuse to even consider it. I've never tried any subs for the F828 or A900. I was very lucky, as I was at home when it lit off. Damage was limited to some wall paint, the Sony charger, and an outlet box. Never again! :evil:
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

it's probably important to get the charger for the 3rd party batteries from the company that makes them. Li-Ion batteries can be dangerous from overheating if they aren't charged properly, if something melts away and exposes the lithium foil to air/moisture it'll combust.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I don't agree about the charger - some are as dangerous as the replacement batteries. I have a multi-cell Ansmann charger and it's possible to insert a cell of the wrong type with poles reversed, there are so many positions for the different batteries designs. The other independent charger I have is so basic I doubt any safety cutout is incorporated. The twin Sony charger, on the other hand, is exceptional - it switches off automatically and swaps to the second cell once the first one is charged, and turns both off once both are charged. Many of the third party chargers just keep the same current going for ever.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

A long time ago, I recall someone posting pics of one "generic" that he took apart and compared to a genuine Sony battery. It looked kinda sad on the inside, but on the outside, you couldn't tell a difference. I also read comments about the performance not being as good. I decided to shop for an official Sony battery, even though it was going to cost me. Expensive, but if it lasts longer, that needs to be factored in as well. Of course, I couldn't find the FM55H for my A100, but bought the FM500H, which seems to last a bit longer, so I like it.
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

So I got a good deal on a NP-FM500H rather than another NP-FM55H as they're supposed to be compatible with the A100. Trouble is, no-one told my A100 which complains that the 500 is an incompatible battery :(

I have f/w v1.04 - is this still current? (thought occurred that the A100 might need an upgrade to recognise the newer battery...)

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Andy
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Maybe the problem is that you have LATER firmware - our A100s worked fine with the new batteries and so have many others. The A100 is not supposed to be able to recognise battery types (its batteries are 'Stamina' not 'InfoLithium'). So that is really very strange.

David
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Strange indeed!

One of the guys in the office has an A100 - I'll get him to check his f/w version with a view to conducting an experiment...

Cheers,

Andy
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

Just got a new A100 from Argos Clearance on eBay for dad [fw 1.02] - whilst his battery is charging, thought I'd try one of mine that I use in the A700...

...first one I tried came up with the rejection message - then realised it was a SIDO "Chinese-Copy" - so tried an original Sony - and that works fine...

Hope this may help...

Cheers

IDM
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Hmm... interesting. My NP-FM500H has all the Sony labels and packaging down to the hologram label on the packaging and the multi-lingual instruction sheet, however it was bought from an eBay store in Hong Kong so could be a copy - albeit a very good one!

Cheers,

Andy