A100 exposure problems

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
colin brenchley

A100 exposure problems

Unread post by colin brenchley »

I recently purchased an A100 to go on holiday as my 7D did not return from the repairers in time. So without the comfort of putting samples through my PC I took 3500 shots on holiday in Japan. I found the rear screen difficult to assess if exposure was correct and therefore bracketed on a the critical shots. The exposures were generally fine when there was no sky. When some sky was included particularly on bright sunny days regardless of the exposure (Multi-segment,spot etc) the shots overexposed and the detail in white clouds none existant. On setting the bracketing the underexposed shot was seriously underexposued. I never seemed to get a happy medium. Note I shot in JPG all the time. I found that in virtually all shots,particularly those with an element of sky in, I had to adjust levels in PS. Overall I found the accuracy of metering poor compared to my 7D. Can anyone help please or have I got a "Friday afternoon" camera!
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

My experience with the A100 is that for subjects with a high proportion of sky in them, it needs 1/2 to 1 stop + exposure compensation, but because I always shoot RAW I can adjust later - not much help to you now, I know. However it does sound like you have a problem - what is the bracketing increment set at?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I would suggest to activate the DRO, since you are shooting JPG all the time. On the upper knob (left side) there is an inscription D-R, just turn the knob on it and push on the Fn button which is situated in the middle of the same knob. On the screen you will see 3 modes (Off, D-R and D-R+). Try the third one. It'll help you a lot.
Good luck and happy shooting.