ccd and cmos sensors

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

ccd and cmos sensors

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi All

I was just checking out http://www.theregister.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and came across this http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/29 ... lcd_panel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, sharp is playing with 5 colour per pixel LCD, red,green, blue, cyan and yellow, they say they get 99% of the colours defined by the Pointer colour space and its screen can show colours like sea water, brass and rose petals that conventional LCDs never get quite right. Would we gain any thing from having "5 colour per pixel" sensors?

Cheers, stephen
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: ccd and cmos sensors

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Curious--I wonder what the filter array would look like?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There have already been experiments with four colour sensors, from the Leaf backs and Colour Carnival experiments to Leica and Panasonic 4-colour arrays - I think even Sony has tried one.

They certainly make more sense than RGGB. Leaf described the fourth colour as 'Teal'. I have a feeling it went with CMY not RGB.
David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

They have enough photosites anymore, they could probably do a 9 color bayer filter (3x3 grid). Maybe have some of them be just luminance
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Sony itself has done it!

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I think the F828 had two variations to the green, if I recall correctly. (My Sony V3 [also a P&S] was a bit less-featured, and while often compared to the 828, due to being released in the same timeframe, it did not have this feature. Oh well.) Sounded like a good idea, but it's interesting that it hasn't been retried by Sony.