Digital Noise (grain) in dark objects with A700

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
videoguy
Acolyte

Digital Noise (grain) in dark objects with A700

Unread post by videoguy »

I have been shooting (mostly F58AM flash) using DR+ Lv 2 or more and am getting very noticeable noise in dark objects and shadows, but only if the subject is not WELL lit by the flash. By not using DR+ Lv's, I will eliminate this noise but I prefer shooting using Lv+ as it gives a more pleasing contrast range and flash illumination (if I do not underexpose the subject). By shooting using DR+ only, I have to push my A700 with flash and exposure compensation to obtain a decently expose picture. I am currently shooting (bounce flash) in M mode on the camera (1/125 sec, F8), and TTL auto on the F58AM because I can get a good exposure by using this combo. I was shooting in the other modes until I discovered that: 1) shooting in S mode the A700 exposes with a F4.5 aperture almost all of the time (which gives you NO depth of field); 2) shooting in A mode (I like F8 or more for depth of field), but the camera will fire at 1/60 sec almost all the time (which is to slow for candid shooting); 3) P mode forget it, who knows what I'll get in shutter speed and F stop.
Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up the A700 to eliminate this noise problem other than by NOT using DR+ Lv 1, 2 3,4, or 5, and can still obtain a good flash exposure ?? "Despeckle" in Photoshop will help some, but that only softens the picture, which I do NOT need.
A good note: The DR+ Lv works very good in sunlight situations.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Digital Noise (grain) in dark objects with A700

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

DRO+ will correct under exposed flash by anything up to 3 stops. It is the cause. Flash power is often over-estimated especially when using bounce. If you use a typical lens - f3.5-5.6 or so range - you MUST shoot at ISO400 or even 800, or any pix in a typical room will be underexposed.

DRO+ will try to correct this, even if that means the shadows are at ISO 3200 equivalent.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Thanks for this Don. Direct one-to-one help is useful and I hope the OP can comment on your assistance in due course.

David
videoguy
Acolyte

Thanks for your reply - we (mostly myself) learn through criticism and by other photographers viewing our pics, that's why I'm very grateful for this Photoclub site. You are absolutely correct - that pic is blown away - mostly thru carelessness on my part (I must sit back and review my PP results with a much more critical eye). I shot a group pic past Thursday and shot it in RAW/JPEG (A700). With this RAW shot I see what you mean, I'll have more latitude in PP. I'll check out the NiPro+ and install on my CS3. Will get back with you next week after I sit down and seriously work on your review.

Videoguy (dave)
videoguy
Acolyte

I cannot find your NIPro+ software on the web. Can you pls help ?? I'm anxious to try it.
ps. did I see a PS cs3 plug in for Sony RAW images ?? or do I have to convert to JPEG or TIFF before going to PS ??

thanks,

videoguy dave
videoguy
Acolyte

WOW !! I purchased (last week) the "Neat Image Pro +" and it is awesome ! It is profiled to my A700, a 32 bit, standalone and plug in for PS CS3. What I like is that you can tweak the amount of NR to your liking in both the "Standard" and "Advanced" mode. This software can make a digital image almost look as clean as good old film. Thank you Sonolta for introducing me to this, and I would recommend other Photoclubalpha folks also take a look at the software (they have a free test download so you can see the application). I won't need to send you any other examples of my photos as I can see for myself how this helps tremendously. I'm also shooting more in RAW and without using the DRO+ in JPEG (unless I have a special application for DRO+).
I'm really impressed with your samples using the "Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro" lens. The lens does not have good reviews but I see your excellent results. So I'm tempted to purchase that same lens. Any comment ??
Thanks again for your great help.

Videoguy
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, Neat Image is quite good. I have been using for quite a few years. It also helps a lot with film scans. Another well regarded noise reduction software is Noise Ninja.