Who has pre-order a Sony's HVLF20AM Flash like me ?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
TallPaul
Acolyte

Re: Who has pre-order a Sony's HVLF20AM Flash like me ?

Unread post by TallPaul »

Great thanks. I am asking around the office for anyone going to the US at the moment to see if they can bring me one back, but that seems like a reasonable alternative. I like to support the local resellers though ideally if possible, but it seems that not many have the HVL-F20AM advertised yet. I asked Warehouse Express some months back and they had no ETA for the flash or pricing.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've just ordered an HVL-F20AM from the same vendor. My experience with Hong Kong sellers has been positive all the way.

David
TallPaul
Acolyte

Unread post by TallPaul »

I am tempted... if it arrives in 3-4 days like it seems braeside's did, I could use it at my friends wedding next weekend. Royal Mail strikes permitting!
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

I've also taken the plunge, also ordering from Hong Kong for £85 incl P&P as the nearest any UK vendor can get is £119 + P&P. Hope that the promised postal disruption doesn't have any effect............ Looking forward to being able to use the A900 with wireless flash!

Philip
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

My flash arrived this morning just 4 full working days after ordering. Packaging was a little thin, just a brown envlope and a bit of bubble wrap, but the box was undamaged and the flash works just fine. Have had a brief play just to make sure it controls my 56's, which it does perfectly. I can't get over just how small it is though................

Philip
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Ditto - arrived today, special delivery, no customs charged - fibre pack envelope and a layer of bubble wrap, really all that is needed. Ultra small, neat little drawstring pouch to let you pop it loose into bag spaces without worrying. I put lithium AAAs into it and the recycling was very fast. Checked the performance - the bounce flash will expose a portrait/couple head and shoulders well in a normal size room with 9ft ceiling, f5.6 at ISO 400 (a bit heavy, ISO 640 probably optimal).

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

how well does HSS work on it with your A700?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

HSS or wireless? HSS does not work at all with the 20. It locks out all speeds faster than 1/250th. Wireless works with the A900, but not with any other camera - tested that.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

ahh. when I saw the demo model they said it would provide HSS then I forgot to actually try it.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Javelin wrote:ahh. when I saw the demo model they said it would provide HSS then I forgot to actually try it.
To be clear, you can trigger another flash wirelessly from the A900 (only) and that other flash can be in HSS. The 20AM cannot itself be used for HSS, (just like any Sony popup flash).
David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

InTheSky wrote: I have modified to 5400HS to support the new digital protocol, and I hope this will work with the 20AM.

Frank
Could you give more detail on what is involved?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

harvey wrote:
InTheSky wrote: I have modified to 5400HS to support the new digital protocol, and I hope this will work with the 20AM.

Frank
http://www.voitzsch.net/index.php/en/fl ... -converter
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
braeside
Grand Caliph

harvey wrote:

Frank

I'm not exactly clear what you want to do? - Control the 5400HS wirelessly with the 20AM on the A900?

You can't use the 20AM off the camera because it has no sensor for wireless communication if that was what you were thinking.
David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

braeside wrote:
harvey wrote:
I'm not exactly clear what you want to do? - Control the 5400HS wirelessly with the 20AM on the A900?
Yes, I wanted to know if/how I could do that. I have a 5400HS.

Harvey
braeside
Grand Caliph

I imagine if you have the 5400HS modified for 'new' wireless operation it would work with the 20AM because the 20AM can control the Sony & Minolta wireless flashes. It works fine with my 3600HS D flashes.
David