CCD SuperHAD II from Sony?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

CCD SuperHAD II from Sony?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

photorumors.com wrote:I received the following anonymous tip about the new full frame (35mm) CCD SuperHAD II sensor with 34.8 mega pixels. It is expected to come out the next year in a high resolution studio Alpha camera. This camera is expected to be the same level as the Leica S2 (but much cheaper I guess). No anti-aliasing filter, electronic shutter with high flash sync with a new anti-blooming structure. Also, new Carl Zeiss and Sony G prime lenses will be announce with this camera. There is some more information on Sony’s website for this CCD SuperHAD II sensor.

I will say it again: Sony is very aggressive in the DSLR market and should not be underestimated. They already have capture some significant market share and imho this trend will continue in the future. The big question is who will be the market share looser(s)?
Does anybody know the source of this new full-frame Sony sensor rumor being circulated by Photorumor.com?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin

Re: CCD SuperHAD II from Sony?

Unread post by Javelin »

it's interesting that the rumour is for a full fram CCD not CMOS.
KevinBarrett

The images on photorumor cannot be displayed here, but I've linked them below. The most tantalizing bits, to me, are these:

14bit A/D Converter
Native sensitivity ISO 50-3200

The suggestion is that this technology would lend itself to studio uses. To finally get 14 bit A/D conversion would be like Christmas, and to be honest, I find myself wanting ISO 50 more often than ISO 12,800.

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploa ... HAD_II.jpg

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploa ... D-II-2.jpg
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

oh so it's a CCD .. they have an electronic shutter circuit for it and the sensor can read out 3.4frames/s, could be this isn't for dslr's at all. maybe we will get our rangefinder with a ff sensor and a sony sign?
KevinBarrett

Ah, the rangefinder speculation...do you mean a true rangefinder or a rangefinder style similar to the new Micro Four Thirds cameras from Panasonic and Olympus? I wonder just what Sony would "do right" by that format that the other manufacturers aren't doing.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi kevin,

What advantages would you see in your work if you used ISO 50? Could you elaborate please?

Thanks,
Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

the form factor is kind of blured now. this CCD would make another R1 style or a full frame F series camera just as easily. it would be nice if they made it witht he MD lenses in mind. The plainness of the A900 and A850 makes me think it might be possible. but Sony generally has some hook in their line like the F series was with the articulating bodies. If leica can get 5k for that new one then Sony could make it pay for a lot less. I wonder about Leica. this is not a mechanical camera anymore. the romance was in the fact that their machines were machines and the elegance was in the fact that it was mechanical. as long as there is film to put in it it's not outdated. now as soon as the electronics mature into another generation it's not going to seem so great where the old ones are still current. even my new old SRT is elegant in it's own way and remains so because it can still compete with modern film cameras. Hows the RD175 looking these days ?
KevinBarrett

I think if Sony were to "do it right" with a rangefinder-esque form factor, they could make sure it could adapt to and autofocus all A-mount lenses. Full-frame could certainly be possible, particularly with an electronic shutter eleminating some bulk. If it could adapt to A-mount lenses, then adapting to MD lenses wouldn't be too far off either.

The first company to offer a short flange-back camera with a 36x24mm sensor is going to clean up--it will be (or could be) the foundation of a universally adaptaptable modular camera back, adaptable across systems to accept nearly every 35mm lens made. MFT is already there, but with a 2.0x crop-factor sensor...maybe that's where Sony could "do it right."

Shoot, you could make one and not make any lenses for it, just a set of adapters, and be done.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

You can get a shower shutter speed without having to stop down. With such a sensor, folks probably would prefer this as they probably can't stop down too far as you will start to see some defraction issues kick in.

Plus just general quality improvements from having even less gain applied to the signal.

A big issue if this is true, is Sony better have done some changes to deal with AMP noise. It's not a 1K entry level body if true, it's something that cost a good bit, so they better take a path that deals with that better.
aster wrote:Hi kevin,

What advantages would you see in your work if you used ISO 50? Could you elaborate please?

Thanks,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Phototraveler,

That clears the matter for me.

Yildiz
PhotoTraveler wrote:You can get a shower shutter speed without having to stop down. With such a sensor, folks probably would prefer this as they probably can't stop down too far as you will start to see some defraction issues kick in.

Plus just general quality improvements from having even less gain applied to the signal.

A big issue if this is true, is Sony better have done some changes to deal with AMP noise. It's not a 1K entry level body if true, it's something that cost a good bit, so they better take a path that deals with that better.
aster wrote:Hi kevin,

Thanks,
Yildiz
destrianlives
Initiate

Unread post by destrianlives »

Yeah... at 34mp... the noise will be phenominal! it'll make the alpha a100 noise look like little blessings! Man, Sony needs to prove overall that they can increase mp and maintain or better yet decrease noise for me to be a believer that more MP is what anyone needs. I understand the premise... make a MF competitor... but who cares... MF is DYING!hiccup!
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

destrianlives wrote:Yeah... at 34mp... the noise will be phenominal! it'll make the alpha a100 noise look like little blessings! Man, Sony needs to prove overall that they can increase mp and maintain or better yet decrease noise for me to be a believer that more MP is what anyone needs. I understand the premise... make a MF competitor... but who cares... MF is DYING!hiccup!
We won't know about the noise until we see the results. Since it's 14 bit A/D not 12, I doubt the Bionz engine will be in it.

MF is dying? Somebody better tell Leaf and Phase One!

Dusty
KevinBarrett

The rumor is looking less and less legitimate. Compare the rumor pictures linked above with Sony's own PDF file from ages past.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
destrianlives
Initiate

Unread post by destrianlives »

Dusty wrote:
destrianlives wrote:Yeah... at 34mp... the noise will be phenominal! it'll make the alpha a100 noise look like little blessings! Man, Sony needs to prove overall that they can increase mp and maintain or better yet decrease noise for me to be a believer that more MP is what anyone needs. I understand the premise... make a MF competitor... but who cares... MF is DYING!hiccup!
We won't know about the noise until we see the results. Since it's 14 bit A/D not 12, I doubt the Bionz engine will be in it.

MF is dying? Somebody better tell Leaf and Phase One!

Dusty
Yea man, I think MF is dying. Sales are not going through the roof or anything. I think the overall economy combined with the stellar quality of 35mm DSLRs should be tearing into MF quite badly now. I think MF will have to be SUPER justified to get into now when you can get a Billboard Producing Nikon D3x for only 8k, Canon 1ds III for 6k, a Sony Alpha A900 3k, or good God in heaven a Sony A850 for only 2k. I think justifying a MF system is just gonna be the cause for them to go away besides the only other major advantage... (flash sync speeds)... which nikon addressed by accident with the Nikon D40/D60 shooting at 1/500 and 1/1000 a second. It really looks like as more and more quality imagery gets produced by the likes of Matthew Jordan Smith and the CaNikon squad with the higher resolution systems the less you can justify the 10k minimum meduim format investment. I know Leaf and Phase One are killers... but how many on this forum have to use them? Bad example... then try this... how much longer are we gonna put up with 60k Phase Ones? I just cant see MF growing.
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
KevinBarrett

As one who isn't in the market, and will not be in the foreseeable future, for a $60k medium format camera, I cannot comment on the viability of that industry. However, I know plenty of people who would never think to spend $0.5k on a camera, let alone $3k or $60k. Still, Lamborghini and Aston Martin make money selling $1 million cars and I would find a $50k car unfathomable.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --