DSLR A1R "professional"

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

DSLR A1R "professional"

Unread post by Javelin »

Part of this just turned up on DPR a bit ago.

Also mentions an HVL64AM flash. live view/ 1/12000 shutter/ DXO optics pro elite/WiFi/GPS/DUalCF but only ISO 3200 and the shutter is electronic.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8186/son ... icatio.jpg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: DSLR A1R "professional"

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Just one question: Sony is not using a Memory Stick? (instead 2 CF)... weird
And that makes this whole thing suspicious.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

This would appear to be a professional camera for studio shooters and maybe landscape/architecture (if in fact this is genuine stuff). Not for sport hence the max 3 fps. I doubt professionals would be interested in memory sticks and, therefore, Sony may have taken the logical step of supplying 2xCF. This camera is designed for top quality at low ISOs hence ISO3200 limitation. This could be a major threath to medium format other than maybe the 59Mp versions. It will be interesting to see if such a camera materialises and what lenses accompany it. I would have thought that a T&S lens would be mandatory. If it performs well we might see an aPS-C version at 18Mp or thereabouts for low ISO applications. That would suit me.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

If it's true can you imagine the noise ;-) lol

35mp seems to be a bit OTT even for a FF sensor, did Sony not put up a chart on CZ lenses saying they just about resolved 24mp on FF? What point going higher?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

bfitzgerald wrote
35mp seems to be a bit OTT even for a FF sensor, did Sony not put up a chart on CZ lenses saying they just about resolved 24mp on FF? What point going higher?
I have not seen any serious reviews of the Canon 7D yet but it will be interesting to see if any reviewers try to assess to what extent the best Canon Glass (zoom & prime) can do justice to the sensor size. The A900 statements by Sony could be real or marketing speak indicating an optimum match of lens to sensor size. If this is a real prospect then it will be a different tune that the CZ & G lenses can do justice to this sensor and compete with MF on IQ as well as being far more mobile and versatile. Time will show if this is a fake or real prospect. If true (and an A700 replacement is forthcoming as well) it will give Sony a nearly complete DSLR line-up from beginners, through enthusiasts, semi-professionals to true professionals. The exception being the professional sports photography side dominated by CAN/NIK.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

at least 2 spelling mistakes ...
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Reads like a wish list and less like a publication from a manufacturer. In several places the author is too clear to illustrate his intentions for this dream camera. What is the occasion for this material? Is it a press release? Is it from the side of the box? Is there an equivalent page in Sony Alpha stationary that details the a500 and a850 specifications?

Also, there's no way Sony would supply two batteries, a vertical grip, or an HDMI (HMDI? lol) cable with a camera.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hmmm even at three frames per second, 35MP RAW + JPEG x/fine...that sure would be shifting some ones and zeros....smokin... :shock:
Greg
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

Very interesting. An elaborate hoax at worst, and in line with rumors.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
KevinBarrett

α900 dimensions: 156 x 117 x 82 mm
A1R dimensions: 162.1 x 173.5 x 86.4 mm

If the A1R is already 56.5 mm taller than the a900, how much bulkier will it be when it is wearing this "VG-C1AM Grip?" :lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

KevinBarrett wrote:α900 dimensions: 156 x 117 x 82 mm
A1R dimensions: 162.1 x 173.5 x 86.4 mm

If the A1R is already 56.5 mm taller than the a900, how much bulkier will it be when it is wearing this "VG-C1AM Grip?" :lol:
I trust that the supplied dimensions are WITH the vertical grip! :wink: I am still pretty darned sceptical, but if it is a hoax, it is the most elaborate such hoax I have seen.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
KevinBarrett

DSLR A1R Image surfaces!

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

alphaomega wrote:...I doubt professionals would be interested in memory sticks and, therefore, Sony may have taken the logical step of supplying 2xCF....
If the main negative side of Memory stick is the speed, then in this wish-camera it is more than enough, as its concept is not quick shooting but the opposite. Also, if it were true, than it would've been a wise step to include Memory stick in it, thus enrolling pros to use MS, don't you think?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
destrianlives
Initiate

Unread post by destrianlives »

Its bogus. It says it comes with a grip and 2 batteries. Good try guy. Do the Nikon D3x or Canon 1Ds Mark III come with additional meat and potatoes? Hell no! If you do get a grip with one of those... its built in (something I've wanted Sony/Minolta do do for decades!). F A K E! Go back to CCD? F A K E? Though having shutters with flash up to 1/1200th would be a dream come true... keep dreaming! Aint gonna happen! Absolutely everything a Sony shooter could want is in that thing! Come ON! Give it all... in one camera? F A K E hiccup!! Fake like a Fish Steak!
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

It has to be fake, I came up with the A1R name over at Dyxum 2 months ago. I want to sue someone for ripping off my ramblings for use in their rumor!

By the way, the 2 battery thing is believable. As it comes across sounding like it has a built in grip, yet it's using the same battery as the other models, so in all likelihood it takes 2 batteries, so that would make sense. The pro Nikon/Canons use jumbo sized batteries, so they don't need 2.

Also, spelling mistakes mean nothing. In the real world, spelling mistakes happen, and sony is really good at mistakes in their info. Still, remember the leaked Oly E-3 presentation a few years back, full of spelling errors and so forth, many folks said it must be fake because of that, and of course it was very real.

That said, I don't think this is real. The feel of the spec sheet (how things are said), just doesn't come off right. Stuff like "must be installed at factory" for OSX is just confusing.

But at the same time, I think these are possibly a pretty good stab at what such a camera will be. I think someone made this up, but they took a pretty reasonable approach at it. Much of it spec wise is similar to something I would dream up. But at the same time they put a few hints in there that it's not right. Like listing the transfer rate for wireless at twice the rate that the spec actualy works at.