Interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony Alpha

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony Alpha

Unread post by Winedarksea »

Below is the first of two installments of an interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony's Alpha division, as translated, very well by all indications, by revdocjim, who lives in Japan. The translation first appeared on Dyxum, and represents one of the fullest & most forthright statements by a Sony official about its Alpha line to date. I'll post the second installemt soon after I do this one. The entire interview is too long to post the whole thing at once.

The original article is really quite interesting so I started working on a translation this evening. I got about a third of the way thru it but now I'm running out of steam so I just post what I have done so far and post the rest when I get to it.
 In round 2 of our camera manufacturer interview series we spoke with Mr. Katsumoto of Sony, now that it’s been a year since they completed their first full lineup of cameras and are expected to be taking on new challenges.
 Last year Sony released the A900, completing their first full lineup from entry models to a high end model. This year they’ve refreshed their entry models and added the A550, which sits a step above the other entry models.
A year ago Mr. Katsumoto stated that Sony had now produced a lineup worthy of earning them recognition as a full fledged camera manufacturer. So what’s next for Sony?

Q. A year ago you said that Sony intended to shift from merely producing for the purpose of continuing a camera legacy to taking on the challenge of creating products of completely new value.

A. Beginning with the A100, our release of the A900 last fall marked the end of the first round for us. It was a very significant period for us, as we designed, produced and marketed products that spanned the entire price range.
This year we started out the second round with the release of the A330 and A380. Our goal is to create a product that makes it ever easier for an absolute beginner to learn how to take photos.

Q. Specifically, what’s the scenario you are envisioning with regard to your users?

A. The mechanics haven’t really changed very much from the A300 and A350. But we’ve created a graphical user interface that is designed to easily assist the beginner who wants to try using the various controls. For instance, “How do I adjust for nice bokeh?” We designed the camera to enable the user to learn some of the most basic techniques and concepts rather easily. So far our feedback from first time users has been positive, stating that the system is easy to understand.
But that’s not enough to satisfy our more experienced users. So we introduced the A550 with advanced functions like higher speed continuous shooting, high ISO capabilities, quick live view and micro focusing for the more advanced user.

Q. When you first started the alpha business you placed a great deal of emphasis on meeting the needs of Minolta users. But now haven’t we reached a point where your users are increasingly Sony users? How do you plan to meet the needs of those who have purchased Sony products as their first Alpha product?

A. You’re right. We are seeing an increasing number of native Sony users. Especially this spring we saw a lot of new users who know nothing about Minolta join the ranks. On the other hand, among those using our middle class and higher models we estimate that it is about half and half between those who bought Sony because of their Minolta lenses and those who are first time Alpha users.
Our intentions are very straight forward. We want to offer a product that is easy to carry around and fun to take photos with. We want people to enjoy the kind of photography that used to require high levels of knowledge and experience. Personally I am using the A550 right now for my own hobby photography.

Q. We hear that sales have been pretty good overseas but from our vantage point here in the Japanese market it’s hard to see how the bigger picture is going. Can you fill it in for us a bit.

A. Worldwide we are presently over the 10% mark in sales of exchangeable lens cameras. Our most successful market is Europe. In England, France, Holland, Switzerland and Austria we are closer to 20% in most cases and as high as 30% in some. And while the total sales volume is rather small, our market share in Latin America is particularly high. In Mexico we are the top selling brand. We are also doing well in Asia with about 20% of the market share in China and strong sales in Korea, Malaysia and Singapore.

Q. You haven’t mentioned the U.S. Are you having the same troubles there as you’re having here in Japan?

A. Yes, we are still in the single digits in both Japan and the U.S. and see that as a priority issue. Our main reason for success in Europe is strong marketing channels. During the past 3 years we’ve been able to forge strong ties with retailers, received increasing display space and been able to effectively inform retailers of the unique qualities of the Sony product line.

Of course we’ve attempted to do the same thing in Japan and the U.S. but in both cases the large volume retailers hold a large share of the retail market. We are given very few opportunities to teach the retailers about our product, our marketing strategies, future plans for lens releases etc.

Q. Well maybe, but it seems like there are some pretty significant other reasons for the lack of success here in Japan.

A. When we ask consumers what they expect from Sony cameras what we hear is, “We want something on the leading edge of technology that will hit the market with a boom.” We believe that we need something that really stands out and says, “This is a Sony!” Last year it was the A900. And this year we’ve put our everything into the A550, but I think the market is really looking for something of a higher class than that. Actually what they really want is a camera that has radically new and breathtaking features.
Another important factor is that while we have really tried to make something that is small and light, we still haven’t broken past the boundaries of traditional SLR cameras. Micro four thirds cameras have entered the market and we probably need to offer something radically new as well. Unless we have a product that really stretches, or even breaks the SLR boundaries it will probably be difficult to compete with our rivals in this incredibly tough Japanese market.

Q. At last year’s Photokina you said that with the A900 your company was ending the period of following in others’ footsteps and taking one some new themes. Can we expect to see major changes to the Alpha image in the future?

A. Rather than fight over existing shares in the market we hope to expand the very market itself with new uses and new functions for our products. But of course, we have no intention of marketing products that fail to please our installed user base, but rather ones that will allow them to happily take on new challenges.

Q. We’ve repeatedly heard rumors about a mirrorless SLR. Is Sony actually working on one?

A. Small body size is surely one of the big merits of the mirrorless design. But you also end being forced to rely on contrast AF. We’ve been using contrast AF in our video cameras for a very long time, but feel that contrast AF is suitable for video. But whether it’s possible to get contrast AF to work for the kind of quick, almost instantaneous AF required by an SLR remains to be seen.
 This is not Alpha strategy but rather just my personal opinion, but I believe there are a variety of viable applications for mirrorless SLRs depending on how the consumers want to use them.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Re: Interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony Alpha

Below is the remainder of the interview:

Q. So if you do develop a mirrorless design it’ll mean designing a new mount as well won’t it?

A. I think both options (using the present mount or developing a new one) are real possibilities. But the alpha mount is our default and we will stay with it no matter what. Our first priority is to keep developing that line. But at the same time we will not rule out the possibility of developing a secondary line of mirrorless cameras. But we also won’t make any promises at this point. We simply haven’t made a final decision.
More importantly we want to keep improving on our optical view finders. And while the A500 is an entry model that sells for less than 100,000 yen it’s got HDR, good high ISO, high FPS etc.; pretty much everything you could want in a mid-level camera. Never the less we feel there is still room for improvement. And even with regard to IQ we want to raise the standard, even if only in small increments. Our goal is to be able to offer functions and IQ normally associated with professional models even at this level.

Q. Isn’t it true that Sony’s current live view system won’t really work for video? How do you plan to solve that issue?

A. We feel we did a pretty good job of covering still photography cameras over the past 3 years and feel that it’s about time to address the video issue. We already have a lot of video technology and know how so we hope to make significant contributions by applying what we have to this new market. I can’t really discuss specific technical matters but our goal is to develop a product that is just as easy to use as a normal camcorder while securely maintaining good still photography capabilities and taking full advantage of all the lens options for video as well.

Q. While it’s widely accepted that video functions have drawn attention because of all the lens options and superior IQ in comparison to camcorders. At the same time it really isn’t all that easy to truly master video photography on a DSLR. Are you hoping to address that issue as well?

A. I agree that the real appeal of DSLR video is the excellent S/N and the lens options. Those who have really mastered this application are in fact creating much more than records. They are in fact, creating art. So naturally those users will demand the functions needed for their work. But at the same time I believe there is still a need for basic, simple and user friendly video applications. That’s where our handycam knowledge comes into play, enabling us to develop a camera that is a DSLR but can also work like a camcorder.
I’m going to hold off on answering your question about the compatibility of our present live view technology and video, not because it’s a secret or anything, but because we are still considering all options and don’t want to prematurely narrow down the field. We will be the last ones to implement video into our DSLRs but our goal is to develop a product such that when a user goes out and buys a “normal” entry level model they can effortlessly begin shooting video footage from the very first day.

Q. The Alpha lens line up for digital ready full frame lenses is really quite solid but here in Japan Sony has chosen to not even release the A850. Can you tell us a bit more about your plans for full frame bodies.

A. We can’t really comment about the A850 and domestic sales because it’s the opinions of the sales division that gets prioritized in making those decisions. As for the A900, it has been widely accepted mostly by landscape photographers. The 24MP sensor and the CZ and G lenses make for a very appealing product for landscape photographers. On the other hand it probably isn’t nearly as appealing for sports photographers. So it’s not perfect, but it is a very good product for the type of photographer that likes to really pour himself into each frame. We intend to continue to broaden the appeal and value of our full frame line up in the future.

Q. Well then, what about a high spec high amateur level body.

A. I’m not going to promise a release during the coming year but that is what we are planning on. It’s hard to make promises about bodies because things change with regard to the various devices we put in those bodies. But one thing is for sure; there definitely will be a replacement for the A700. Without a solid top-level model to dream about our users will eventually cease to dream themselves. We definitely intend to have a high amature high spec camera that invites people to dream dreams.

Q. In closing, can you give us a brief summary of what kind of camera Alpha is envisioning in the coming year.

A. We intend to release products that break new ground technologically. It will look like an orthodox camera on the outside but the contents will be very new and exciting. In terms of functions and quality it will be a very competitive product so stay tuned!

ADMIN NOTE;
the post has been edited with all translation merged (added).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Thanks a million for this very detailed and ideomatic translation. It is one of the few I've seen which makes Toru Katsumoto sound as he would wish to sound (he is pretty good with English but may have been using an autoprompter when I have heard him speak).

David
Winedarksea
Heirophant

It seems to me that I remember (through your coverage) that he was in Edinburgh last year when the A900 was announced. But perhaps it was someone else.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Katsumoto-san was in Edinburgh. Here is our report:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/09/1 ... ce-part-2/

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks to windedarksea for the translation - a very interesting read.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Interesting, but unconvincing, I honestly think that this guy is not suitable for the position he is in, he does not understand enough about the market he is in. That might sound a bit arrogant, but the mistakes are so obvious, that anyone that does not see them, shouldn't be in such a high position.

He said

"More importantly we want to keep improving on our optical view finders. And while the A500 is an entry model that sells for less than 100,000 yen it’s got HDR, good high ISO, high FPS etc.; pretty much everything you could want in a mid-level camera"

Afraid that kinda killed it for me, no it does not even have half of what some of us are looking for in a "mid" level body. And the 0.80x OVF is nothing to shout about either, it's ok..but you pay the price for Sony's insistence on using fast AF LV. I would put money down that Sony have not had a great year sales wise, and that these new models won't have a major impact in th e market. Sony need to forget about this "Sony like" dumbing down (his words), it's not going to work..not in DSLR land.

Toru Katsumoto has IMO not done a good job, and the division would be far better off without him.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I actually read that interview on DPReview this morning. The bit that really interested me now was Mr. Toru Katsumoto's, comments on a potential replacement for the A700
Q. Well then, what about a high spec high amateur level body.

A. I’m not going to promise a release during the coming year but that is what we are planning on. It’s hard to make promises about bodies because things change with regard to the various devices we put in those bodies. But one thing is for sure; there definitely will be a replacement for the A700. Without a solid top-level model to dream about our users will eventually cease to dream themselves. We definitely intend to have a high amature high spec camera that invites people to dream dreams.
It would appear that we are more or less promised a replacement for the A700 in 2011 (although they aretrying for late 2010). The positive thing is that Mr. Toru Katsumoto seem to realise that Sony need to cater for the high end amateur market and probably will be aiming for a 7D "killer" with workable video as well as top class still capability. The bad news is that it may be up to 18 months away.

It really is a shame that Sony did not "patch up" the A550 to be an interim replacement for the A700 with MLU, DOF, intermediate ISO settings, P shift and an ISO range from 100 to 6400 with ISO 100/200 to equal or beat the A350 without losing the improvements above ISO800. They could have kept the A500 "as is" to cover the gap between A380 and an enhanced A550. Indeed what a shame.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

What I read from this is that they are chasing the emerging markets and in that process trumping Canikon in latin america by accident. And that in the NA and euro markets Canikon is so entrenched they are just not going to fight that battle at all. Let them have it. It's hard to fault that logic. Unless you want to use unlimited resources and buy the market away from companies so entrenched the better thing to do is to ensure the market emerging with the largest potential puts you in first place. Asian markets are going to dwarf the rest of the world and Sony's name carries a lot of weight there. No wonder they won't listen to us, Those people don't have a huge SLR history and really put little value in whats been done in the past. or the tradition behind it. This is the Honda with their Civic CVCC of the camera world. In NA everyone made fun of those cars and insisted they wanted more. but 25 years later every kids dream is a Civic with a juicecan hanging off the back. (thank god it wasn't scooters!)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Javelin wrote: This is the Honda with their Civic CVCC of the camera world. In NA everyone made fun of those cars and insisted they wanted more. but 25 years later every kids dream is a Civic with a juicecan hanging off the back. (thank god it wasn't scooters!)
That Civic CVCC that they started with and the Civic of today are light years apart. Nobody in NA would want one today unless they're a car collector.

The problem with the emerging markets is that there is little disposable income. Someone invests in a camera the way you do in a house! Buy one, treat it kindly and keep it forever. In Europe, NA and Japan, they buy one and if they like it step up, buy accessories, buy another, etc. Total sales per person are much higher.

Granted, Henry Ford with his Model T (Honda and the Civic mimicked him) found out that marketing a product to the masses can build you an empire. But neither company is doing the cheap starter car today, the time for that is over. True, there's an Indian company that wants to do the same thing, but continuing oil price rises will defeat it in the long run. Can't have a $5000 car and pay $8/gal for gas!

Emerging markets using digital cameras limits the camera maker, as the lack of disposable income means that to buy a camera, I have to also have (or have access to) the computers that make it worth while to have a DSLR over a P&S. With a P&S, I take the card to the local mart and use the kiosk to print my pics. With a DSLR, I can do that, too, but w/o the software to correct my RAWs - or even JPEGS - I lose most of the advantage, and therefore justification, for buying the high end camera.

Dusty
Richard Peters
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard Peters »

This was translated by "revdocjim" from the Dyxum fourm web site. Just want to make sure we acknowledge Jim's work and translation expertise.
Richard
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Richard Peters wrote:This was translated by "revdocjim" from the Dyxum fourm web site. Just want to make sure we acknowledge Jim's work and translation expertise.
Richard
Yes, many thanks to Reverend Jim.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Javelin wrote:What I read from this is that they are chasing the emerging markets and in that process trumping Canikon in latin america by accident. And that in the NA and euro markets Canikon is so entrenched they are just not going to fight that battle at all. Let them have it. It's hard to fault that logic. Unless you want to use unlimited resources and buy the market away from companies so entrenched the better thing to do is to ensure the market emerging with the largest potential puts you in first place. Asian markets are going to dwarf the rest of the world and Sony's name carries a lot of weight there. No wonder they won't listen to us, Those people don't have a huge SLR history and really put little value in whats been done in the past. or the tradition behind it. This is the Honda with their Civic CVCC of the camera world. In NA everyone made fun of those cars and insisted they wanted more. but 25 years later every kids dream is a Civic with a juicecan hanging off the back. (thank god it wasn't scooters!)
I think that you partially misread Mr. Katsumoto. The emerging markets he is talking about are not just geographic. They include hordes of people entirely new to the dslr market, all over the world. Remember, the dslr market doubled from 2006 to 2008, and has remained essentially level even in this dismal economic year. Furthermore, they clearly are not ignoring the European market, and are doing extremely well there, as Mr. Katsumoto said. It is in the US and Japanese markets where they are having difficulties, which I believe they see as being as much related to product as to other factors. In other words, I think they realize that they will have to have products with dramatic new technology to break the stranglehold canikon has on the markets in Japan & the US. I look forward in the next few months to a new A7xx that will have the entire camera world talking, as Gustav has told us.
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Dr. Harout wrote:
Richard Peters wrote:This was translated by "revdocjim" from the Dyxum fourm web site. Just want to make sure we acknowledge Jim's work and translation expertise.
Richard
Yes, many thanks to Reverend Jim.
And I add my thanks once again to revdocjim for the arduous job of translating this interview from the Japanese, and doing it so well. Hear hear! to the Reverend Doctor Jim of Japan!
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Unread post by PedroDuarte »

I just hope they get a good A7xx .

My plans are all around starting with the A550 and in the future go to the semi-pro range :)

Let's seeeeee :)
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07