Have you seen this Wifi memory card

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Muzics
Acolyte

Have you seen this Wifi memory card

Unread post by Muzics »

Sony should take note with this WiFi memory card product as it would be so cool for the A DSLR system
I can you this now.. whats the hold up with updates for firmware and cool gadgets for existing equipment

The Eye-Fi card is the 1st wireless memory card. It looks, stores media, and fits into cameras just like a regular SD/SDHC card. On top of that, the Eye-Fi card has built-in Wi-Fi that uses your wireless network to effortlessly transfer photos and videos.

[http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/basics]
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Have you seen this Wifi memory card

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sure, they're a neat thing, but do a little research into the read/write speeds of those cards. They aren't advertised on the company's site, and resellers don't quote them either. Methinks there is tremendous compromise going on in the card's purpose and capabilities.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

A neat gadget perhaps ... but how difficult is it to slip out a card and put it in a card reader? I rather suspect that it would actually be quicker, given the likely download speed of these cards.
Roger
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

As Roger says, despite them looking a neat gadget, I have always thought I'd rather buy more / bigger cards. I suppose if you were really minimalist, and didn't want to carry a card reader + cable with you, then one of these would be a good idea. I suppose that once wifi/bluetooth or whatevere become the norm then cameras will just have internal memory and all these fiddley cards/formats will become a thing of the past. In fact, when you think about video cameras, they have had internal hdd or solid state for a few years now.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

These types of cards have been around for a while now. I remember reading last year about a guy who had one set up to auto upload everything to his photoblog. His camera was stolen, but when the perp popped in to a cafe with fre wi-fi, his photos got uploaded!

Don't recall if hes was able to use any of that info to trace down the thief.

Dusty