Freeze your sensor for top high ISO results.

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Freeze your sensor for top high ISO results.

Unread post by alphaomega »

Here is an interesting entry http://thephoblographer.wordpress.com/2 ... -high-iso/ for all those that have problems with high ISO noise. Apparently "The noise in the digital sensor is a direct product of stray particles (mostly electrons) in the sensor. Freezing the sensor (like is routinely done in pro astronomy as mentionned by Richard Seiling) is a good way to reduce the sensor noise."

So no more complaints about high Sony ISO noise because here is the ideal solution. Just bring along a portable freezer and gloves.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Freeze your sensor for top high ISO results.

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Because the original post comes from 4Chan, I must say, don't pass this along unless you've tried it yourself and can confirm not only that it works, but that you camera survived. It has all the markings of a horrible practical joke.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

great... now were all going to have to witness fights over the shape of the freon grip and proprietary freon canisters
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

KevinBarrett wrote:Because the original post comes from 4Chan, I must say, don't pass this along unless you've tried it yourself and can confirm not only that it works, but that you camera survived. It has all the markings of a horrible practical joke.
Madness. Even without trying it the worries mount up...

Operating range of my camera is 0-40C.
I would be surprised that the battery would work at really low temperatures.
As soon as you take it out from the cold you will get condensation all over it.

I would leave this for the astronomers who are in hot locations and can get water cooled CCDs
to use.

Harvey
prjohn
Acolyte

Unread post by prjohn »

Just a thought, if freezing your camera produces better high iso results. Then is it possible that Sony is pushing the bionz processor to maximise speed to the
detriment of the sensor. Is it just possible that the excessive heat created by the processor will lead to a hotter environment affecting the sensor and resulting in poor high noise images?
The world is your playground, why don't you play?

Sony A500, Sony 16-105mm, Minolta 70-210mm f4, Tair 300mm f4.5, Pentacon 50mm f1.8. Carl Zeiss jena 135mm f3.5.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

The physics is right. In solid-state circuitry, inherent noise is a function of absolute temperature (°K).

0°K = -273°C. You can't lower the temperature enough to make an appreciable difference and have the rest of the camera work.

I suppose you could mount a Peltier cooler to the back of the sensor. hooked up to a huge battery in your back-pack.

Sensor cooling is routinely used to earth-based astronomical telescopes...it's sorta automatic on the Hubble.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3