CIPA 2009 sales figures are out

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

CIPA 2009 sales figures are out

Unread post by stevecim »

CIPA 2009 sales figures are out, below is a extract

basically PnS sales down
but DSLR and lenses are up , nearly 10% of the total digital camera market. almost 2 lenses sold for each DSLR sold.

I found this line interesting.
"exhibiting solid growth in categories with higher added value."

Does this suggest higher end DSLR sell more than lower end? or that people buy lower end DSLR quickly upgrade to high end models?

Nearly every lunch break at work, I go for a walk and end up in camera stores :) In the last 3 months, I've seen a lot of people buy Nikon D3000, in some stores staff tell me D3000 are there biggest seller by a long shot.

<quote>
While this represents a year-on-year decrease of 11.6% compared to 2008, when shipments
exceeded 119 million units, a breakdown by product-type shows that, although shipments of
digital cameras with built-in lens (i.e. compact digital cameras) reached 96 million units, a
year-on year decrease of 12.8%, shipments of digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lens
(i.e. digital single-lens reflex cameras, including Micro Four Thirds System and
interchangeable unit cameras) reached 9.9 million units, a year-on-year increase of 2.3% and,
additionally, shipments of interchangeable lens for SLR cameras reached 16.1 million units, a
year-on-year increase of 2.8%, exhibiting solid growth in categories with higher added value.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Re: CIPA 2009 sales figures are out

Unread post by stevecim »

looking at more detailed reports at CIPA web site

DSLR shipped for month Dec 2009, where up 133% on Dec 2008 in Japan, but in the rest of the world sales where up 187%

and Nov 2009, units shipped where 130%+ for "rest of the world" and around 95% for Japan, compared to Nov 2008.

Looks like "rest of the world" is more interested in DSLR than Japan.,

looking at 2005 figures, PnS shipped for Dec 2005 was ~5,148,000 SLR 307,000
" " Dec 2009 ~6,102,000 SLR 984,000

Hugh growth in DSLR sales. hopefully the increase demand for DSLR will keep pushing Sony to bring out new models.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

DSLR sales are strong, but note they add these new Micro 4/3 models to that.

M 4/3 seems pretty strong in Japan, but not as much elsewhere.
Sales should increase even more this year, as things improve.
The D3000 is selling well, for two reasons. It's "cheap", and has "Nikon" stamped on it. It's not a particularly great camera, worse high ISO performance than the D60, adds little bar more AF points. I was shocked it got a HR on the well known review site. Nikon are incredibly boring entry level wise, but being cheaper than most helps here. Even Thom Hogan won't give it a thumbs up. I expect Canon to do something a bit more interesting shortly.

It's also thumping the A230/330 range. I put this down to not just the Nikon brand, (which is a factor), but the fact the D3000 looks like a more normal DSLR.

As for Sony, they have to get these assumed A600 and A700 models right on target, no stripping down, no weird designs, just high performance and competitive in spec and price v rivals. The market does not embrace strange and odd looking cameras, that's where Sony went wrong with the entry models.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:DSLR sales are strong, but note they add these new Micro 4/3 models to that.

M 4/3 seems pretty strong in Japan, but not as much elsewhere.
Sales should increase even more this year, as things improve.
The Panasonic GF1 (with the kit lens) was out of stock at Adorama and B&H for a while, probably because they are selling more than expected in Asia. This is a really nice camera, as an object and the quality of the pictures is desirable as well. And it does 780P 25/30 fps video. I'm about to go for one of this cameras, but I'll wait until PMA and see if Sony will bring an answer for this market.
Ah! forget about the EP1/EP2: impossible to focus! any PS focus better, faster and accurately, in any light conditions.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I bet they will have something. I've changed my mind on this one. At ist I thought they would keep the same mount, but now..I am thinking Sony might do a "mini mount" and possibly provide some kinds of adaptor for lenses. We'll see on this one.

They might trim down the entry models, but I would not expect them to wipe all of them out (bit risky, as Canikon can show DSLR's can still outsell these new mirrorless wonders, and greatly)

One to watch, I have little interest in EVF non mirror models myself. But some might..
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: One to watch, I have little interest in EVF non mirror models myself. But some might..
Think this way: is like a Leitz/Minolta CLE, but digital.
and 1080P
I know DK will love it. And me too!

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;