PMA rumours?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
RubberDials
Heirophant

Re: PMA rumours?

Unread post by RubberDials »

I would be very surprised if the 500mm lens seen in mock up a few months back wasn't announced. There surely must be a 24mm as well.

Not sure about an a700 'replacement'.

Whatever happens none of it will be available immediately - the 70-400 and 30 macro both took months to arrive. The 16-80 was announced a year before it became available.
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

bakubo wrote:.... I waited over 6 months after the KM 7D came out before I bought and over 6 months before buying the Sony A700. Naturally, I then discovered problems with both. :(
To balance the scales - I've had 4 Sony dSLRs and none gave any problem at all. I currently have the a900 which has not faltered in 14 months. :D
Roger
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

rogprov wrote:To balance the scales - I've had 4 Sony dSLRs and none gave any problem at all. I currently have the a900 which has not faltered in 14 months. :D
I hope you don't have any problems. The control dial problem has already been reported in the A900 also though (and A550). Good luck!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I've noticed that my A700 in my limited use of that camera so far, seems to use it's battery charge faster than either my KM5D or the A100 does, so that gets me wondering if the system in the A700 is drawing more current than the earlier models, it seems so, possibly due to the larger processing engine, but that might also cause those potentiometers to degrade at a faster rate as well...
I have had one little glitch with the A100, dust in the shutter button, it's a very close fit to the housing and the smallest dust particle can cause it to partially jam/not return properly, it's easily fixed though, you can rotate the button with a sharp needle quite easily by dragging on the edge and blowing on it at the same time, this cleared the dust out of mine and have had no trouble since.
The pots are a different story though, once the contacts are smeared there isn't much choice but to replace them, although I've heard that some electronic contact cleaner can help.
Greg
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

With the Sony press conference now only a few hours away, I hope that Barry F and those who have expressed their concerns will be somewhat pleased with the outcome.

And those knockers on auto whine - who cares anyway ?
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

Greg Beetham wrote:I've noticed that my A700 in my limited use of that camera so far, seems to use it's battery charge faster than either my KM5D or the A100 does, so that gets me wondering if the system in the A700 is drawing more current than the earlier models, it seems so, possibly due to the larger processing engine, but that might also cause those potentiometers to degrade at a faster rate as well...
I have had one little glitch with the A100, dust in the shutter button, it's a very close fit to the housing and the smallest dust particle can cause it to partially jam/not return properly, it's easily fixed though, you can rotate the button with a sharp needle quite easily by dragging on the edge and blowing on it at the same time, this cleared the dust out of mine and have had no trouble since.
The pots are a different story though, once the contacts are smeared there isn't much choice but to replace them, although I've heard that some electronic contact cleaner can help.
Greg

My A700 gets an unbelievable number of raw shots on one battery charge--about 1000 sometimes.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I use my three all the same, RAW+ExFine or +Fine, and yes if I just shot RAW I suppose I would get 1000 RAW out of my A700 battery but there wouldn't be much charge left....I think it depends on how much and how long you use the rear screen, (and those who use the popup flash would use more power on top of that), but then I still use them all pretty much the same habitually anyway...I often put the A700 battery on the charger as it's often down to 84% with not a lot of use and put in the spare battery, (which also could be a problem), the spare could have been re-charged too long ago (a week or two) to have a residual full charge even though it shows on the rear screen at 100%.....but I still think the A700 uses it's battery charge at a faster RATE than either of my other two cameras.
Greg
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

I don't use the pop-up flash at all (I mean, I've never used it), but I do make rather liberal use of the LCD, to check what I have gotten, and to show others. I record only the full raw files.I think my batteries last longer that it was claimed they would. My understanding is that the A5xx cameras are the best Alpha cameras in this respect.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Well, here is the latest from www.sonyalpharumors.com
“ANAHEIM, CALIF. (PMA #2220), Feb. 21, 2010 – Sony is exhibiting an array of innovative digital imaging products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2010 International Convention, including a concept model of the new compact α (alpha) DSLR camera system that employs an Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor, which provides full AVCHD video capability.

New concept α products being shown include an ultra compact model with interchangeable lenses, additions to the α family (including a successor to the α700), along with new TX5 and H55 Cyber-shot® cameras, new printers and other accessories.

α DSLR Camera

In addition to the current DSLR-A230, A330, A380, A500, A550, A850 and A900 digital SLR cameras, the following concept camera bodies and interchangeable lenses will be exhibited. Current interchange lenses, including Carl Zeiss® and G lens products will also be on display.

* Concept model of an ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system that packs the quality of a DSLR camera in an extraordinarily small body, along with interchangeable lenses
* Mid-range concept camera for advanced users (a successor to the α700) as well as concept mainstream models
* Prototype of a Super Telephoto Lens (500mm F4 G) with class-leading optical performance
* Prototype of a Distagon T 24mm F2 ZA SSM, new Carl Zeiss wide angle lens for superior shots of landscapes and sweeping vistas
It would appear that the source is genuine i.e. Sony. So we may at least get a glimpse of the long awaited successor to the venerable A700 if not the real thing.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Go Sony go :D :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Darn it! There's a rumor that the a700 successor will have dual live-view modes like the a500. I'm gonna be in a sour mood until I find out for sure.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

concepts and prototypes :? They had 3 years for the A700 successor and the 500/4, and still just prototypes :shock:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bossel wrote:concepts and prototypes :? They had 3 years for the A700 successor and the 500/4, and still just prototypes :shock:
My thoughts exactly.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is the "concept" PR:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/ ... 56463.html

Is this all there is?
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Note the top plate LCD on the camera at left and the dedicated AF assist light. It looks to have the same strap attachments as Sony's metal-bodied cameras. There's also a 24mm f/2 ZA T* SSM lens!

Promising, but clearly mock-ups or prototypes.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --