PMA rumours?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bossel
Viceroy

PMA rumours?

Unread post by bossel »

Anything? One keeps reading about a EVIL camera and 10 new lenses, but has anybody heard anything more substantial?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: PMA rumours?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

On "Sony rumours" they were mentioning 2 mirrorless cameras. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Did I mention my interest levels in mirror less cameras on a scale of 1-10 is around -10 ?? :P

I'd advise a good trip to the shot, grab a Panasonic G1, and have fun using it in low light, it's not much fun!
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Anybody wonder when we'll see a pro-spec mirrorless camera? I know the format was born out of ambitions to make interchangeable lens cameras more compact, but it doesn't have to mean anyone who invests in such a system should have to give up the benefits of a full-featured SLR. What about a PC port and a fast X-sync? Or what about a more substantial grip with front and rear command dials? I doubt we'd see these things from Sony (they only exists on their FF cameras anymore), but they would be a nice surprise from whoever introduced them.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony phased flash out on the expected EVIL and went to a light bracket/shoe for the white LED auto focussing light, right next to the bracket/shoe for the boom mike...or a dual purpose shoe perhaps.
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Seems like the Leica M9 would be a good candidate. Of course it's not AF and I don't think there are any real zooms, but if they added Live View to the rear screen you'd be there.

Dusty
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Don't need to wait for PMA to find out what Canon have up their sleeves:
Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera Body plus Free Battery, 10EG Gadget Bag and 8GB Card
£799.99
In my inbox from Warehouse Express as introductory offer.
Free LP-E8 Battery, 10EG Deluxe Gadget Bag and SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC Card (worth £189.97) The Canon EOS 550D digital SLR camera takes many of the features found in professional cameras and squeezes them into a smaller, more consumer friendly body. The 550D's 18 megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor is paired with Canon's advanced DIGIC IV image processor to give users superb image quality, unlimited creativity and Full 1920x1080p HD movie capability. The sensor and processor combination offers ISO settings of 100-6400 (expandable to 12800) and the clever in-camera noise reduction technology further improves the EOS 550D's low-light performance. The 3 inch Clear View LCD screen with 1040k dot resolution provides remarkable clarity for both composition with the 550D's Live View Mode and for reviewing your images and videos
Right Sony, what have you got to offer at a comparable pricing level? Please do not provide us with any more cut down offers at excessive prices.
bfitzgerald

Actually, I ran across a number of brand new Canon 40d's on ebay for £500.

If you're not megapixel driven, nor care about video..that's a damn fine buy for most ;-)

I hope we see an A6xx, but we cannot bank on it, nor can we assume the Sony "simple" chop it down people have not had a go at it.
I'll also take this moment to ask Sony to re-consider their policy on not giving users rear lens caps on their purchases, nor hot shoe covers either! Yeah, tough times at Sony land.. 8)
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bfitzgerald wrote:... on ebay for £500.

If you're not megapixel driven, nor care about video..that's a damn fine buy for most ;-)
Sounds like good ol' A700 to me! Go get one you'll love it.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bossel wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:... on ebay for £500.

Sounds like good ol' A700 to me! Go get one you'll love it.
:lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry Fitzgerald
Actually, I ran across a number of brand new Canon 40d's on ebay for £500.
I actually managed to procure a new A700 for £500 to replace my old one "cascaded" to my son. When that was purchased I rejected the 40D on account of sensor size (10Mp and 1.6 extension factor) and lack of SSS. At that time Canon appeared to "rest on their laurels". I have no doubt that the advent of Sony in the DSLR space shook Canon out of their slumber and we have seen the results in a string of new DSLRs with more mega pixels and features galore. I still do not own a piece of Canon equipment but it is a company to be greatly admired for their innovation. I remember reading some time ago that 60% of all their products were less than three years old.
Whatever Sony comes up with (A700 replacement and/or A600 series, they need to compete successfully against cameras such as the EOS 7D and 550D.
bfitzgerald

Canon have always had this old "more megapixels" trick, they just went a bit quiet with some models (40d included)
You watch, the 500d will replace the 450d as the "cheaper" Canon, then the EOS 550d will have mega sales, 18mp and full HD video, just too tempting to say no for some. Then we have the EOS 1000d replacement, if they do one, that should kill off any of the entry Sony range.

Canon also know how to get current users to upgrade, and it's worked a treat for them over the years.

I think if you look at the line-up, Sony really need an A7xx, AND and A6xx. A7xx will probably be £1000+, maybe even more, that puts it near D300s levels (and it would want to match that), that leaves the gap from the A550 to the new A7xx, which is too important to ignore.
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

Didn't DK say something like he had been invited to a Sony press conference at PMA, and to the exhibit area afterwards? But I haven't heard him say anything about it since. Has anyone heard anything from him about PMA?
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Winedarksea wrote:Didn't DK say something like he had been invited to a Sony press conference at PMA, and to the exhibit area afterwards? But I haven't heard him say anything about it since. Has anyone heard anything from him about PMA?
Actually, continued silence from David on this subject would be the best indication that he knows something interesting is planned for PMA, and that he has an indication of what that may be. Most people who are provided information in advance of a press conference are done so under the terms of a Non Disclosure Agreement in which they promise not to disclose that information to others until some specified time.

Of course, it could also be that David has no actual information about what will happen at the press conference and is just refraining from wild speculation. As one of my favorite authors is fond of saying when people ask what will happen in an upcoming novel, "All will be revealed . . ."

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David had a few thought out loud here, (if this link works)
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 401#p34401
Greg