Sony A850 vs Canon 5D Mark II ? Need Advise...

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bvalenzuela1
Acolyte

Sony A850 vs Canon 5D Mark II ? Need Advise...

Post by bvalenzuela1 »

Hello Team - This is my first post here in PhotoclubA and was hoping some folks will provide some guidance in regards to my next big purchase. My quick 1 sec dilemma: I have the A700 which I want to upgrade to full frame. I currently own the following Sony lineup:
A700,
A700 vertical grip,
100mm f/2.8 Macro,
70-300mm f4.5-5.6 (Gseries),
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8,
HVL-F58AM flash and
HVL-F42AM flash
So far, I've been really happy with my A700 but I am looking to upgrade to full frame maybe the A850 and potentially get the lens that I really like Zeiss 85mm 1.4 for potraits. After just going over some of the stuff, I am now confused if this might be a good idea to maybe move into Canon world since their noise on their 5D MarkII is better than Sony's full frame. That is one of the main reasons and also the added features that Sony don't seem to have which is a bonus: Live view and video recording. I was looking at the reviews and the A850/A900 did pretty well except in the noise category which they have them at ISO 800 below for clean shots. I shoot a lot in low light and the noise situation with my A700 is a constant struggle for me. When putting it through noice reducing softwares I constantly get the plastic look and loose of details. I really like everything else about the sony except the crappy software that comes with the camera, I render it useless. It seems like Sony will not be releasing any firmware for the A700 to address noise or anything else... :( I was talking to some folks and they advised in selling all my gear and get a Canon since I am about to do a hefty investment on Sony's lineup. I feel like I am somewhat invested but maybe not that deep? And might be a good time to skip over to Canon? Or do you guys think that with the lineup I have is probably best that I stay with Sony? As you guys can see, I am pretty much on the fence giving up on Sony??? Any word of wisdom… I guess I am having a hard time with the thought of parting with my gear and starting with a all new system… What would you do if you were in my shoes, etc…
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony A850 vs Canon 5D Mark II ? Need Advise...

Post by Javelin »

Have you tried the 5D mk2? I think you'll be disapoited especially in the AF. If you can;t wauit and noise is realyl that much of an issue the D700 is a far better camera I just don't know the lesnes
bvalenzuela1 wrote:Hello Team - … What would you do if you were in my shoes, etc…
bvalenzuela1
Acolyte

Post by bvalenzuela1 »

I did try it briefly at B&H... Felt different in my hands getting used to the buttons sine I am used to Sony's.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Post by Dr. Harout »

Definitely not Canon. I won't say no to Nikon, but think twice since you'll have some great Zeiss lenses with AF capability and most of all we still have that SSS. Personally I would pick A850. As for low light photography, think of exposure compensation to the right and some good software. They say LR3 is excellent.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett

Post by KevinBarrett »

The Sony will give you the advantage of a truly premium viewfinder, brighter and larger than that of the Nikon D700 or EOS 5D I or II. Also, you get image stabilization and AF Zeiss primes. If you're venturing into portraiture or eventually studio, the a850 offers a significantly faster flash sync speed of 1/250th sec. vs 1/160th sec. for the Canon 5d MkII (canon advertises faster than that, but doesn't deliver). The Sony will still be faster with SSS turned on and a sync speed of 1/200th sec.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

Post by Danjojo_Resurrected1 »

A lot of people report being unhappy with the 5DmkII and running back to Sony or Nikon for full-frame. You might want to spend some time looking into the Canon forums at dpreview and elsewhere and seeing what people disliked.

Most you will see people talk about strong banding and color problems they believe caused by a high mega-pixel sensor that wasn't ready.

I believe Sony is going to focus most on full-frame and the new e-mount/NEX line, the next full-frame might have HD video and be a large jump in price though.

People saying Sony will go over 20mp with APS-C and over 30mp with Full-Frame very soon. I would find a new lens to scratch the camera-goodies purchasing itch, try out some new photography style, and wait just a little while to do the full-frame jump.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Post by David Kilpatrick »

I've used the 5D MkII three times now at different stages of firmware development, for testing. While it does offer some benefits over the A850 for clean imaging at medium ISO settings when generously exposed (400-1600) it offers none at 100-320, and the perceived gain at 2000-6400 plus the bonus 12800 have limited value because of the levels of pattern noise which can not be corrected.

I have found the 5D MkII sensor to be out of plane with the typical field of Canon lenses, resulting in odd zones of reduced sharpness with popular lenses even when well stopped down. The Sony 850.900 sensor is far superior for plane flatness and matching to the Sony/Minolta lenses in general.

Given the lens you already have I'd go for the A850 any day. It is also a far more weildable camera if you are used to Sony/Minolta ergonomics.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Post by pakodominguez »

Hi,
If you expose to the right, noise is not an (big) issue with the A850. The only advantage the Canon 5DII have over Sony A850 is video and a wider system.

Since apparently you are near NYC, what you can do is rent an A900 kit (with 24-70; 70-200 and 85; plus the 58AM) at Adorama rentals and try it before you decide -I think it cost a 100 us$ the day and you can take it Friday to Monday for that price. Call and ask for Miguel for more information.

The only subjective remark I'll do is that color-wise, Sony is way better and easier to work with for portraits -I don't like Canon colors and if one day I'll have to rent or buy into another system, it will be Nikon unless Canon change their color approach.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Post by Greg Beetham »

From what I've read (not a lot), and statements I've seen by owners (a few), I get the impression the D700 is easily the pick of the bunch for low light, (if that's what you want the camera primarily for), it has the same or similar sensor that the D3 has, but keep in mind it's only 12MP, not a huge amount of pixels on a FF sensor by todays standards, I'd give this a read first.http://www.bythom.com/nikond700review.htm (the D700 has quite a complex user interface according to Thom)
The A850 would easily be the superior camera for portraiture/glamour etc. (Zeiss lenses on 25MP FF) working in a studio situation. So you really have to decide I guess, which is more important too you, low light performance or studio type work. (you could get em both maybe) :mrgreen:
Greg

ps. From opinion by people who know what their talking about and have used the 5D MkII, I'd steer clear of it myself, not one of Canon's best that one, odd really, when they usually build pretty good stuff by all accounts.
bvalenzuela1
Acolyte

Post by bvalenzuela1 »

This has been great info guys and I really appreciate the support... I think I am going to stick to Sony as I do really enjoy shooting with it and really like the Zeiss lens lineup we currently have. I am looking forward to picking up the Zeiss 24-70 2.8 and the 85mm 1.4 :)
Does anyone here have any of these glasses? If you were me considering I already have the tamron (which I want to sell to get the zeiss 24-70), which one would you get first? :) I've tried the 85mm and oh boy.... all I have to say, blown away... But then again, the 24-70 gives me the walk around zoom. So now I am on the fence and also don't know if the tamron 17-50 with A850 would be a good combination.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Post by Birma »

The Tamron SP 17-50/2.8 is designed for an APS-C sized senor (e.g. A700) and so I'd have thought you'll will miss some of the image on the FF A850. I don't have the A850/900, but if I was upgrading and had your lenses then I would go for thr 24-70 to give me something wide to normal. Your 100mm and 70-300 would give you some reach on FF.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

Post by KevinBarrett »

The Zeiss 24-70 will be a staple for you, whereas the 85/1.4 will be an occasional use lens. Also, I'd wait on the 85mm because there happens to be another option on the horizon for that focal length--the Sigma 85/1.4 HSM--and we've yet to see how it compares to the Zeiss.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bvalenzuela1
Acolyte

Post by bvalenzuela1 »

That makes a lot of sense Kevin... Thanks... As much as I love the 85mm I am just concern (for the price) how much use I am going to get out of it. Birma thanks for pointing out the caveat with with the Tamron. Now, I've been researching the exposing to the right technique and I have to say, that I have to start getting used to it. I did a test shot at home and it did help with the noise when turning the exposure down instead of up... The question I have is when using FLASH TTL... Besides cranking your flash exposure compensation to expose to the right and pumping lots of light, can I just keep the normal flash exposure for accurate shot and just bump the exposure compensation up to the right? Is this a better technique than trying to expose to the right with flash? My test shot was pretty good when shooting ISO 1600. Pretty clean... :) Gotta love the internet.
bvalenzuela1
Acolyte

Post by bvalenzuela1 »

These are first test shots with ETTR technique at ISO 1600:

Before:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ToNQkOQuqzpfXeefGqTVIg?feat=directlink
After:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d-fbvL44nx-UgttmCaiOHg?feat=directlink

Is this the approach most folks take when dealing in situation they have to crank up the ISO? Feedback?