ByThom with Love

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
dynax800si
Heirophant

ByThom with Love

Unread post by dynax800si »

What about this STRANGE article by Thom :|
Sony Sensor Shakeup?
July 26 (commentary)--I've heard from multiple sources now that Sony Semiconductor is about to drop FX sensors from their lineup. What I'm hearing is that high management in Sony is saying that full-frame cameras and sensors aren't bringing the payback necessary to make them long-term profitable. This is essentially forcing Sony Imaging to consider dropping future plans for full-frame cameras (A850, A900, and follow-ups), though I'm sure we'll still see some FF products from them that were already in progress before the stream of sensors dies out. Some of the sources for the rumor appear to be Sony employees who are lobbying for keeping full-frame in the lineup. They seem to hope that news of the impending decision on the Internet will generate a wave of protest that Sony management can't ignore.....
The whole thing here - http://www.bythom.com/

:evil:
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: ByThom with Love

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I don't think so. APS-C is here to stay, but FF, medium format are here too.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Racing programs aren't profitable for car manufacturers either, but they sell cars.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

Bad news. I was hoping to upgrade to FF someday in future. If A850 is the last FF, people like me will be forced to switch and I'd hate selling my zeiss 135 1.8
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
Dr. Harout

Wait and see the next Sony FF.

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

While it's possible that Sony might pull out larger imaging EXMOR CMOS sensors, it is equally possible (indeed, probable) that alternative technologies will enable full frame cameras. It is also very likely that another fabricator would simply take over the Sony FF technology and continue the supply, but from outside Sony itself. Nikon might actually take this on, after all, they built the production line for the FF sensors which Sony uses! And they use similar equipment, themselves, to make their 12 megapixel sensors.

I think Hogan is scaremongering because he has a couple of D3X bodies he wants to sell and would like the price to go up...

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

New Chip fabrication is awfull expensive to just decide one day.. before it's paid off.. to pull the plug. I think it's more likely that Sony isn't supplying the FX sensors for Nikon cameras and come to think of it isn't that what the guy is saying? maybe everyone is just reading into it that Sony is not going to have FF because someone said no more FX sensors from Sony?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:While it's possible that Sony might pull out larger imaging EXMOR CMOS sensors, it is equally possible (indeed, probable) that alternative technologies will enable full frame cameras.
How hard it is to make a FF sensor from 2 APS? it is not the way the RD3000 was done?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Would be pretty astonishing if it's true. Guess we'll just wait and see.
Dr. Harout

Having FF is a way to attract APS-C buyers (yes, I mean it).

Just to clear this a bit: suppose a photo enthusiast who wants to buy an APS-C DSLR. If a company doesn't have FF cameras then that guy is more likely to buy a product from someone who has FF (even if he/she doesn't have any intention to go to FF yet), because he/she sees a probability of upgrading to FF sometime in the future (a dream maybe, or call it unrealistic, but yet there's that slight feeling that maybe someday he/she will acquire a FF).

So market wise (mind you, I'm nil in marketing) Sony would carry on FF production, or even as David's pointing, someone else would for Sony...

Having to many models is good. I remember in Soviet time there were few so called automobiles... we used to say some kind of machines which were definitely not tractors but also not yet automobiles. :wink:

Flickr
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

Javelin wrote:I think it's more likely that Sony isn't supplying the FX sensors for Nikon cameras and come to think of it isn't that what the guy is saying? maybe everyone is just reading into it that Sony is not going to have FF because someone said no more FX sensors from Sony?
If Sony stops supplying Nikon with FF sensors that actually will be very interesting move from them, but unfortunately is hardly likely to become a fact.
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

pakodominguez wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:While it's possible that Sony might pull out larger imaging EXMOR CMOS sensors, it is equally possible (indeed, probable) that alternative technologies will enable full frame cameras.
How hard it is to make a FF sensor from 2 APS? it is not the way the RD3000 was done?
The RD3000 had a relay lens as well, and with a prismatic surface right next to the sensors could split the image with an overlap. The sensors were optically and physically 'butted' together and then the file was digitally stitched filling in a missing pixel or two.

I sold an RD3000 I got, for experimental use for a few pounds, as the two halves were different brightnesses. Either the optics had got shifted, or the calibration was wrong. Since one half also looked unsharp I think the relay lens and prism assembly was damaged.

It would not be possible to use optics like this in a regular DSLR, but they might actually be able to join smaller sensors and calibrate them as perfect matches. Unlikely. It's the calibration which would be the biggest problem.

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I think that Thom needs to chill out about Sony full stop. Last month he was stating that the D90 replacement would not be using Sony sensors as well. Maybe it is just his own paranoia about "his" company being a victim to Sony in long term or it may reflect a concern inside Nikon from groups that are worried about where Nikon is going.

I would think that Nikon management have many more likely threats to their long term viability than the fact they are using Sony produced sensors in many of their cameras. And most of those concerns should be about Nikon itself.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Per Sonyalpharumors Sony has just released two FF lenses, these being
Zeiss SSM 24mm f/2.0: Fullframe lens of 9 elements in 7 groups and 550 grams, and
Sony 85mm f/2.8: Fullframe lens 175 grams.
There is also a 35mm DT lens.
Interesting that Sony (and CZ) should release more FF lenses if there are plans to drop FF sensors altogether. I guess that if Sony (as also rumoured) have a A900 replacement with 30/32Mp and video in progress, then I would say that they could probably lay off further costly FF sensor development as most FF users would probably be happy with such a sensor and the Alpha division could continue with FF using just this sensor for PRO DSLR requirements.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

An 85mm f2.8 lens? Is that serious or a joke? lol
f1.8 yeah but not f2.8 that's far too slow for that type of lens.
A 35mm DT lens is again questionable..there is no place for APS-C only primes IMO..no doubt el cheapo build quality with a nasty SAM motor ;-)

At this stage nobody knows what's going on but we'll know soon enough if nothing shows up FF wise or they simply warm over the current FF bodies (A850 was not simply a slightly cut down A900)