Sony increase production of Exmor and Exmor R sensors

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Sony increase production of Exmor and Exmor R sensors

Unread post by alphaomega »

Have a look at this news release from Sony http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press ... index.html Excerpt:
With the investment announced today, Kumamoto TEC's CMOS image sensor production capacity will be further increased, and Sony will strengthen its ability to meet the expected market demand for "Exmor R" used in smartphones as well as a wide range of digital imaging products for consumer and professional use, including compact Digital Still Cameras. In addition, Sony will increase production capacity for mainly large sized "Exmor" used in Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras.
Strange announcement if Nikon are departing from sourcing APS-C and FF sensors from Sony. I am puzzled.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony increase production of Exmor and Exmor R sensors

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

You are very entitled too be puzzled alphaomegs, I got puzzled in approximately 2006 and I haven't really improved much since.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I am still convinced that Nikon gets its sensors from Sony. Somehow I believe that Pentax will rely on Sony too in the near future.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Perhaps they see their market share going from 10% to 20%.

Dusty