A900 and lens combinations.

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
philekelly

A900 and lens combinations.

Unread post by philekelly »

I have replaced my Minolta with an Alpha 900, primarily so I could still use my:
-AF APO G 80-200MM Zoom lens and
-AF APO G 400MM prime lens
I understood these lens tho compatible only utilise 11mp of the 24mp available from the sensor. I didn't realise they do not capture the full viewfinder view and instead the viwfinder has small corner markings to indicate the shot captured.
This is a real pain when having to shoot quickly with moving wildlife. Is there any way around this?
If I opted for the Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6,3 DG OS HSM lens woulsd I have the same problem?
Thanks
Phil
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A900 and lens combinations.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You are mistaken; the Apo G lenses are full frame, and work normally on the A900. Only the DT type APS-C lenses activate a reduced image area. The Sigma is also full frame but with that excellent Minolta glass, you don't need it.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

You don't have something set right. These are Full Frame lenses, and will cover the FF image circle. They should act just like they did on your film cameras.

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I guess Philekelly just mixed up the terms APO and APS-C (that could happen with any of us).
So allow me to welcome you and the same time envy you with such wonderful lenses.
Enjoy the forum as we are all good guys here. David runs the place but lately he's having difficulty keeping focus with his NEX-5 on his palms, but that's OK he's wonderful.
As for Dusty, he always wanted to become a pirate but faith turned him to a good gardener and always in dust, and that's where his nickname was born.
Ah, and don't forget to post some of your shots here on this forum.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Welcome to the forum ! :-).

I can confirm you that the A900 work at 100% fine with the Bigma 50-500mm (I'm still using this lens).

But I'm agree with David, with the 400mm ... I will probably stay with this lens to take long reach picture. The 50-500mm is a good lens, but really not good compare two those two Minolta lens you have. (but the 50-500mm is always on my A900 for outdoor walk in the forest where I don't know what will happen to take on picture).

Old tests ... but still valid for the Bigma on the A900:
http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/bigmaa900

Regards,

Frank
P.S. if in case you start not using enough the 400mm I can be interested ;-)
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It occurs to me - have you accidentally set the forced APS-C crop in the menus?

'Spanner' setup Menu 4 - first item - APS-C Size Capture - make sure this is turned to OFF

David
philekelly

Unread post by philekelly »

Thank you all for the responses.

David wins the prize in that the APS-C capture mode was turned to on. I have no idea how this came to be!hiccup!!!

Thanks again.

Phil