Sony Alpha 55 (A55) Test Run!

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
darrencf
Acolyte

Sony Alpha 55 (A55) Test Run!

Unread post by darrencf »

Had a chance to test out the Sony Alpha 55. One of the cool things I like about it is the speed (10 fps) and that it does HD video recording. Here's a picture I took that utilizes the high speed.

For more pictures taken with the Sony Alpha 55: http://www.darrenf.com/blog/first-ever- ... 55-slt-a55
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Sony Alpha 55 (A55) Test Run!

Unread post by alphaomega »

I like the jazz band video clip. This camera will take off and the complainers about ghosting and what have you will be left visible in the rear mirror only. I look forward to seeing more visuals from this camera. I think Sony is on to something. Thanks for showing.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Darren I saw your image after a link was posted somewhere here abouts - really interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures and reviews.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Biggator
Acolyte

Unread post by Biggator »

Great shot. How'ed ya do it?
darrencf
Acolyte

Thanks for the comments!

@Biggator
What you need is a tripod and a fast camera like the Sony a55. You will need to make an estimation on how far your subject will land to get a good composition. Once you are ready, tell your subject to go and do a continuous burst at 10 fps as the subject leaves the ground.
Do this several times then select your best shots and combine them using Photoshop. I do not know of a short cut to do this. I edited each layer individually.

Hope this helps :D
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Good job Darren and great examples to see the potential of the A55. You are not just helping me to wait for this camera ;-).

Thanks,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
darrencf
Acolyte

@Frank.
Thanks man. Btw, since you are a current a900 user, why not wait for the next full frame? Since the A900 is already discontinued, I sense a successor is probably coming in the near future. If that happens, you'll probably get similar features on a Full Frame body. I doubt it will be 10 fps like the a55 but who knows O.O
David_Allwood

Unread post by David_Allwood »

Hi. 2 years ago I bought a secondhand A350 to get myself into digital photography after a long lay-off from film-based work (using a Minilta XGM). I've now got a Sony G 70-400 telephoto zoom which is great for photographing animals and birds from a distance but the frame speed of the A350 is too slow and the shutter plus mirror noise is quite loud. The A55 sounds great on paper: 10fps and no mirror noise. But I'm worried about the lack of control on the 10fps setting - the camera decides both shutter speed and aperture. I presume I can set the film speed but what algorithm does the A55 use for aperture & shutter speed. Currently I keep the aperture wide open to shorten the depth of field and so get the fastest shutter speed to stop any motion - clearly this is important for birds in flight. Has anyone any experience they can share?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Hi David, welcome. It will do exactly that - zoom to 400mm, and use auto ISO, and it will always shoot wide open and try to get a fast shutter speed. In fact that's the problem for other uses, the 10fps setting tends to see the world as an action target from the start. There is no risk of it setting 1/30th and f/16...

David
David_Allwood

Unread post by David_Allwood »

David
Thanks very much for the prompt and helpful reply. I the the A55 can go on my wish list now! But you've intrigued me by identifying the fast shutter speed as a potential problem. When would you wand 10 fps but not want the stop any motion. If I wanted blurred birds wings, I'd be less worried about needing the full 10 fps and use the standard speed or aperture priority settings.

Cheers, David
PS. Do you know if Sony are going to introduce any new bodies into the alpha range this year?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes. The new SLT Alpha is expected in midsummer - probably July. This has been confirmed by Sony, it's the camera everyone is calling the A77 which has a magnesium alloy body, size about the same as a slightly more streamlined Alpha 700, technology based on the A55.

However, they will not release:
The name
The pixel count (over 20 megapixels has been suggested)
The fastest shooting rate (a rumour of 15fps dates back several years)
The video format or other controls
Whether or not GPS will be included
Whether or not there is a new EVF with higher resolution

But they have confirmed that the SLT mirror will not be fitted with an optional lift/lockup mechanism, as requested by many users. It will stay in place and only be lifted for cleaning.

David