Can you make your A55/33/580 etc do this?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Can you make your A55/33/580 etc do this?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Turn the screen to view it, and get an upside-down picture - courtesy of Canon:
Attachments
canonupsydownscreen.jpg
canonupsydownscreen.jpg (109.9 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Can you make your A55/33/580 etc do this?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

It's a classic!
like the Rolleiflex that shows you the image inverted...
oh! wait, you mean this is a bug?
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

pakodominguez wrote:It's a classic!
like the Rolleiflex that shows you the image inverted...
oh! wait, you mean this is a bug?
;-)
http://instantbazinga.com/
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

That is weird. So when you push the LCD up against the back of the camera the image is also upside down? Or do you mean that you have turned the LCD upside down so that the image is also upside down? I assume if that is the case you can also turn the LCD right side up and then the image will be right side up?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

As you rotate these LCDs, there are switching points where the image flips. The A55 has one, the D5000 has one, and now the Canon 60D (rotating screens, that is). You can actually make the A55 produce an upsidy image but only with some contortion - it does not do it easily when the screen is in a position you might want to use.

The 60D, on the other hand, has a flip-point within a range of positions like this which you could reasonably want to use for shots. It's just typical Canon in this respect, a little more care taken with design would help.

Another classic Canonism of the 60D is that there is no marking on the camera for plus-minus over-ride. This is done by the rear command dial outer wheel, and this can be locked out (software locked, button press, not a lever like the 1D series). It works well - but they don't bother to label the control.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:As you rotate these LCDs, there are switching points where the image flips. The A55 has one, the D5000 has one, and now the Canon 60D (rotating screens, that is). You can actually make the A55 produce an upsidy image but only with some contortion - it does not do it easily when the screen is in a position you might want to use.

The 60D, on the other hand, has a flip-point within a range of positions like this which you could reasonably want to use for shots. It's just typical Canon in this respect, a little more care taken with design would help.
Okay, now I see what you mean. I have never had a camera that had a tilt/swivel LCD so was thinking just in terms of physical LCD positioning. I wasn't thinking about software that automatically reorients the image depending on the LCD position. I guess this would only rarely be a problem with the 60D, but I can imagine on rare occasions wanting to position the camera low like you show and in order to keep my shadow out of the lens's view I would try to position the LCD sort of like you have it. How much of a change from the position you show does it take to get the image right side up?
David Kilpatrick wrote: Another classic Canonism of the 60D is that there is no marking on the camera for plus-minus over-ride. This is done by the rear command dial outer wheel, and this can be locked out (software locked, button press, not a lever like the 1D series). It works well - but they don't bother to label the control.
Yes, that is how it worked with my 30D also. In use I liked it a lot and is really only an issue for someone not familiar with Canon cameras who picks one up at a store to look over. Once you know how EC works it is very easy.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

For the screen, it was possible to move it maybe 5 degrees and get the image to flip. It just happened to be upside down when I positioned it at first, and that made focusing a very blurred macro image slightly confusing!

David