Sony to invest $1.2 billion in CMOS production

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Re: Sony to invest $1.2 billion in CMOS production

Unread post by Scooterman »

bfitzgerald wrote:I'm saying nothing bar Bayer sensors are not going to last in the long term could do for a few years yet but they'll be phased out.
Sony are a major sensor maker but they are not the only one.

I've never had a problem with a Sony sensor in a camera as I've said before I think other photographic makers tend to do a more rounded and better job with the final product (IMO of course)
It does depend on the final user of the camera, those who want all the adjustable bits or the market that Sony have targeted the ones that are content to allow the cameras own settings to do a good job of things, so far I do feel that they have not done bad at all, A-55 and A-33, the price of the A-580 is half that of the Nikon 7000 and also the Pentax K5 so that allows me to spend more on the more important kit the lenses, as I have said before you can have the most expensive camera and no good lenses and you can never take good (clear) images.
Like my friend who has the Canon 7D he says there are far to many combinations on it to set it perfectly for each shot, he also has the 5D mk11, likes that one and is now in the process of selling the 7D and buying a new 1D mk 4 the camera I said he should have had in the first place, the one thing that Canon did right was to make the Pro D’s a 1.3 crop not 1.6 like the consumer level cameras, 7D and below I would have one now but the weight of one prohibits it for me.
I just hope that the A-77 is as good as being said, and perhaps they will be not just good sensor makers but end up as one of the top stills manufacturers as well.
We have had years of the others putting out NEW? I call them warmed over models year after year, now Sony and others have had a rethink and have shaken it all up, the time has come to the end of the ordinary SLR/DSLR cameras new technology will sell, always.
Yes there are other sensor makers, one being the ones used in the Kepler telescope, made in the UK, now that is surprising. :shock:
Regards
Richard
shootersdesireIN
Acolyte

Unread post by shootersdesireIN »

When i bought my 1st Nikon The D300 which @ the time was the best crop camera there was. I noticed when reading up on the D300 Sony produces all of Nikon High End camera SENSORS like the d3 series the d7000 and so on. When i compared images of sony and nikon they have a lot of similarity to them. Tit for tat i just traded all my Nikon gear for a new Sony slt A77 and a 85mm f2.8 lens.
I need the image stabilizer plus the LCD screen that tilts. the camera feels even better then the D300. Now after downloading and installing the 1.4 version the A77 is super, faster and works better in low light. All i need is a Sony hat and shirt :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Photoclubalpha black/orange 'Alpha Male' special T-shirts are still available, I do not have a wide choice of sizes, but either a Polo Shirt at £23 including post (anywhere worldwide) or a T-shirt at £18 (inc post). I'm afraid the T-shirt does have our web URL neatly written across the back of the shoulders...

David