Sony UK Service: A580 Back from AF Adjustment

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
dkloi
Initiate

Sony UK Service: A580 Back from AF Adjustment

Unread post by dkloi »

Just a short report on my experiences with having my A580 repaired by Sony Service in the UK. I hope this will be helpful for anyone else in the UK who may come across a problem with their Alpha. I rang up Sony just after New Year to ask about getting my A580 repaired. After I explained the problem (backfocus) they told me to send it in with proof of purchase and it'd be fixed under warranty, no fuss.

I have just received my A580 back from Sony Service here in the UK. Took two weeks from posting it off to getting it back, but in the end I think the results are worth it. I'm happy so far with the AF adjustment, looks like the backfocus has been eliminated and that it is now spot on. I'll have to try out my whole range of lenses but the three tested so far are quite accurate.

Another issue which seems to be improved is the metering differences of the OVF and both of the LV modes. Before the service, both LV modes would be 1 stop underexposed compared to OVF metering (even for featureless scenes), but now the difference is about 1/3rd which is small enough to make little difference to what I shoot (especially considering the useful histogram display in the LV modes to avoid clipped highlights).

The firmware has been updated to ver 1.11, haven't noticed any particular changes.

Sony kept me informed about the repair by text message, email and post, letting me know when they had received it and sent it back (with tracking), along with various bits and bobs of documentation.

The repair checklist includes:
CCD Alignment (it's CMOS but we know what they mean :-) )
Focus Performance
Depth of Field
Aperture Operation
Auto Exposure
Media Confirmation
User Control Function Check

No major dust bunnies on the sensor. All parts returned. Along with the camera was a feedback/questionnaire form about the repair so at least they're asking for customer suggestions.

So despite the inconvenience of not have the camera for 2 weeks (fell back onto the trusty A700), I'm now confident that my A580 is in better shooting condition than the average brand new A580, so there is some silver lining to whole saga.

Summary: Thumbs down for having to send it for adjustment in the first place, could have been slightly faster in returning the camera (but I'd rather have the job done right but slower, than rushed but bodged). Thumbs up for an efficient, straightforward, and effective service, all under warranty with no quibbles.

Cheers,
Daniel.

PS My Dynax 7D went for AF adjustment twice. Not only was the backfocus worse when it came back the first time, it died after an hour. My A700 also went back for adjustment of backfocus twice, but at least the second time they fitted a grid screen for free as recompense. I should be glad it only took only one trip for service this time, the derivative seems to be positive :-). Now maybe my next DSLR I buy won't need any AF adjustment out of the box.
Minolta AF 9000, Dynax 7, KM 7D, Sony A700, A580, A77, NEX-7
http://www.dkloi.co.uk
http://www.360cities.net/profile/daniel-oi
dkloi
Initiate

Re: Sony UK Service: A580 Back from AF Adjustment

Unread post by dkloi »

[Edit 3]

I done a bit more testing of the AF. Looks like the AF is spot on in daylilght. However, testing under compact fluorescents shows backfocus. This is unlike the A700 which AFs accurately under both conditions. Examples below with the 100mm/2.
DSC02996.JPG
AF under ambient daylight (dark room). Exposure f/2 1/40th ISO1600
(219.6 KiB) Downloaded 2438 times
DSC02995.JPG
AF under ambient daylight and fluorescent lighting. Exposure f/2 1/160th ISO1600
(199.5 KiB) Downloaded 2438 times
Note that adding the fluorescent lights to the illumination of the scene (lower image) causes the focus to shift. With no daylight illumination (e.g. when testing at night using only artificial lighting), the backfocus is about 10cm at 3m. Backfocus is also seen when illuminated using a powerful white LED torch.

This strong illumination shift was not seen on my A700 so I had not expected it on my A580. Sony Service has actually adjusted my A580 properly, except that the camera is not consistent with regards to lighting.

As to the reason for the backfocus, I can only speculate that it could be due to spectral response characteristics of the AF system, either lenses or the AF sensors themselves, or maybe there is a problem with flicker. Anyway, if you're testing the AF of your camera keep this in mind before jumping to any conclusions like I did.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

I see your camera came with the earlier firmware where as mine was the later version from new, 1.11, I can’t remember seeing a firmware update for the A-580 though.
My focusing system is spot on luckily, also very pleased with the results I am getting.
Looks like the one you had been a very early one in the build, although I bought mine as soon as the dealer had them in.
Sony Service in the UK is excellent so far for me.
Regards
Richard
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

My A580 is 1.11 as well. I have not observed any focusing problems, but then I have not used the camera a lot yet and only on infinity (I guess).
dkloi
Initiate

Unread post by dkloi »

Update: A580 back from the second repair. They replaced the AF module. They also calibrated the body to the two lenses I sent (at their request), 100mm/2 and Tamron 17-50mm/2.8. The letter they sent me said that my 100mm/2 has extreme backfocus tendencies. Funny, I never noticed it on my A700 or KM7D which have never been calibrated for that lens specifically. At least now these two lenses are now spot on with their AF in fluorescent or daylight.

The AF module replacement has improved the performance with my 50mm/1.4 (still not as good as with the A700 though). I now have to test it with my other lenses and compare the performance with the A700.

Cheers,
Daniel.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The A700 has an f/2.8 sensor, the A580 has f/5.6 (or 6.3 in practice) sensors. The focus shift with the 100mm f/2 could easily be enough to make it have extreme back focus tendencies wide open, versus f/5.6, due to aperture related focus shift - but f/2.8 would only have a slight effect. The 50mm f/1.4 also has aperture related focus shift, and would be expected to show a different focus point with an f/5.6 sensor, compared to an f/2.8 sensor.

David
dkloi
Initiate

Unread post by dkloi »

Yes, I'm favouring focus shift as the source of my woes. The Minolta 85mm/1.4 G still suffers from backfocus on the A580 under certain lighting conditions, as does the 50mm/1.7. It looks as if I'll just have to bide my time until a real successor to the A700 comes along with a large aperture AF system.

I might just have to upgrade the 85mm G to the Zeiss equivalent, I assume that Sony would have made sure the A580 worked with it properly.

Cheers,
Daniel.