What I would like in the 700 replacement.

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

If it is not to be a DSLR and almost definitely so, one thing would make me look at it with a view to a purchase, is the size, if it were very small and a battery grip could not be fitted I would give it a miss as I did with the A-55, and went for the 580, my hands like many others are on the larger side also my dexterity is not as good as it once was nor my eye sight for small close together buttons. (Texting is a nightmare) :?
If it is a reasonable size and as described by Sony (better than any thing on the market today) I would give it a go.
What would be your things that would be a must for you to want to buy one?
Richard
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: What I would like in the 700 replacement.

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

1/250 X-sync speed or better.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Everything the 580 / 55 has, plus: more AF points, and more cross type 2.8 AF points, increased DR, in-camera ND grads, twin control wheels, customisable dual card slots, change the strap points so the camera lies pointing downward when hanging from your neck, and wireless/bluetooth to work with my phone as a remote LV screen :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Scooterman says
Have a look here (reference from sonyalpharumors) http://en.akihabaranews.com/83788/camco ... ex-wonders
You can get some idea of what the A700 replacement will look like (and can do). Seems as if rear screen will be "fixed". I don't see a LV/OVF or EVF switch so maybe no LV. Can't make up my mind if EVF or OVF. Don't see a WB button so that will give Barry Fitztgerald something to write about (if true). Seems only one wheel at front of now familiar on/off switch location. I am a little surprised by this package.
This camera is not for me now that I have the A580, which can fulfill my requirements 100%. I am more exited about the NEX developments as I will slowly switch over to mostly NEX shooting as suitable lenses become available. "Quality in a smaller and lighter package".
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

1. Improved QC.
2. Improved QC.
3. Improved QC.
4. No firmware bugs, no bad parts, no brain dead oversights on basic functions.

5. Yeah, there are things that would be cool to have in an A700 update from the evolution over the last 3.5 years since the A700 came out too.

1-4 are essential and the most important. If Sony doesn't get 1-4 then I don't care at all what they do for 5.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Not been able to get access for 24 hours so could not immediately correct my mistakes above. The A700 successor definitely has two wheels. The transparent model has more buttons than the mock-up so I would put my money on one of these being WB. This is a SLT. Did anyone notice APS HD description of sensor instead of APS-C? This must be a new type of sensor.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

APS-HD has already been used to describe all sensors from the NEX launch onwards, and this speculation has already been laid to rest. It does not mean a new format. Of course, the sensor may well be new anyway, but in some other way.

I can't see Sony letting Canon have the only functional full resolution digital zoom for movie shooting.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I'd love to have about 64Gb of very high speed internal storage. Makes every bit of sense, especially so if the CF is omitted.
Then include a standard combined e-SATA/USB port.
Aart Roest
Acolyte

Unread post by Aart Roest »

First of all the A700 in my surroundings needs no replacement yet.
I bought it to take pictures, fast and undelayed, sure of taking the exact subjects chosen. Oh, I forget to add that my choice was a SONY because of the Zeiss lenses, which had been my favorites for nearly 30 years (in Contax RTS2). The A700 does this all without complaints. There are so many presets to choose from, accessible from many points, well thought, well judged, well produced.

I might like an improved Steady-Shot, a full-35mm-size sensor, a pre-view of the image-correction-settings before I take the picture. But this is already available in the A900. And remember I'm only after taking pictures. I'm happy as it is. I hope they continue at the same quality levels.
Aart