Sony vs Nikon Translucent tech

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
adakshi
Oligarch

Sony vs Nikon Translucent tech

Unread post by adakshi »

Just came across a new rumor from Nikon camp that Nikon patents translucent technology. Pics are in sonyalpharumor site.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/will-nik ... /#comments

Now in this diagram, when mirror is down, how does the AF sensors get light. If light is partially fed to OVF. Can anyone explain please. i thought Translucent and OVF cannot coexist as the mirror feeds the AF sensors all the time.

Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony vs Nikon Translucent tech

Unread post by stevecim »

I guess the same has a normal SLR, the only thing this new patent shows is that, when mirror is down , a small amount of light is passed through to the sensor, than the light is "increased" via software/gain on the sensor . I guess this would mean when the mirror is down and you want to take a image/video the sensor will have a reduced ISO range to when the mirror is up. i.e when taking a ISO100 image with the mirror down the sensor might be set to ISO800 to compensate for the lack of light, so you might find with the mirror down down max ISO might be iso1600 .

what I would like to see Sony do, is make use of their SLT design, since they have a fixed mirror covering the entire APS-C sensor, why not have a AF sensor that has sensor points covering the whole frame.

With the Can 7D, the light for the metering system comes from light leaving the OVF prism before it hits your eye. what would be good would be if you could also set up the AF sensors the same way. This way you could have OVF and fixed mirror at the same time?
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

My only guess here is that Nikon's translucent mirror is for video mode only, with the shutter moving out of the way for still photography.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would say from the Nikon diagram and features that this system relies on CDAF from the sensor, not phase detection, and otherwise behaves much like a Canon Pellix. I don't actually see why or how it could be patented.

David
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

David Kilpatrick wrote: I don't actually see why or how it could be patented.

David
Don't get me started on Patents , the rubbish that is being allowed to be patented is just crazy. These days if you wanted to produce a new product you need to employ 10 patent lawyers for every 1 engineer. Many of the biggest companies now use patents has away of securing market share and destroying all who stand in their path.
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I would say from the Nikon diagram and features that this system relies on CDAF from the sensor, not phase detection, and otherwise behaves much like a Canon Pellix. I don't actually see why or how it could be patented.

David
I agree with you. I couldn't find a reason to keep the mirror in the light path while doing CDAF. It defeats all purposes, dim OVF and less light hitting sensor.

Ayan
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I would say from the Nikon diagram and features that this system relies on CDAF from the sensor, not phase detection, and otherwise behaves much like a Canon Pellix. I don't actually see why or how it could be patented.

David
I agree with you. I couldn't find a reason to keep the mirror in the light path while doing CDAF. It defeats all purposes, dim OVF and less light hitting sensor.

Ayan