What is your opinion on "Generic" NP-400 batteries

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Alex 007
Acolyte

What is your opinion on "Generic" NP-400 batteries

Unread post by Alex 007 »

Hello my dear Buddies,

As I live in Israel, yesterday I ordered from a local photo store, another spare NP-400 battery for my lovely Dynax 7D body.

Looking very hard I found two original ones...but the amount of money is such high...that really as today I'm a pensioner such highly price...really I can't afford.

So I decided to acquire this "Generic" one named CTA...found that is made by Lemmar which for some years I knew that is an a good & reliable batteries manufacture.

What I worry a little bit...maybe I'm a little bit "Mad"...if can occur that will explode during charging or in use inside my lovely camera chamber?

Please, very heart fully want to read input/opinions on this generic made NP-400 type replacement?

Our lord will Bless you!

Peace,
Alex 007!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have a bunch of original and replacement NP-400s, not sure of the maker (just generic cheap Chinese) and to be honest, I can no longer tell which is which from the number of shots. I always carry two or three anyway. All the really matters is having a charged up spare.

David
Alex 007
Acolyte

Hi David,

Yes seriously I was (When I post this issue!), that maybe NOT a genuine/original labeled Minolta one will be "No Safe"...specially when I charge it.

During meantime, I change my opinion...now near 100% I'm sure that will work with NO problem at all.

I will write my check results after of get it, & how happy (Or NOT happy), I'm.

Thanks so much, David.

Peace,
Alex 007!
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

I have seven NP-400-type batteries for two Dynax 7D bodies, and I feel that's about the right number to have---i. e. three or four per camera body. Two of them are genuine Konica-Minolta NP-400, the others are 3rd-party replacements of three different brands.

When I bought the replacement batteries, genuine NP-400 were EUR 99, and 3rd-party replacements were between EUR 7 and EUR 40. I steered clear from the cheapest and got a few at about EUR 15 per piece. They work just fine for almost two years now.

The dangerous li-ion batteries usually are not the replacements made and labelled by reputable OEM battery makers, but the faked ones which pretend being genuine Konica-Minolta but aren't. So stay away from allegedly 'genuine Konica-Minolta NP-400' batteries at a tiny fraction of the usual price! As a matter of fact, li-ion batteries can explode---in theory at least---and they store enough energy to cause severe damage if they do. So they must be manufactured according to a certain minimum quality standard, and they must contain some sort of short-circuit protection ... so I'd avoid buying the very cheapest kind.

-- Olaf
Alex 007
Acolyte

Dear Olaf,

Yes I 100% agreed with you!

Here I can obtain a genuine one (The store who sell by Internet told me that is "Made in Japan!"), like my one that came with my Dynax 7D body...for near 84 Euro...which for me is to much.

The ordered one CTA made by Lemmar an a very old America batteries manufacturing will cost me near 17 Euros only...so it's NOT so cheap.

BTW...My received still good...really I don't comprehend myself...WHY...I order another one...maybe I think that soon will be much more hard to obtain them here in Israel! Who knows???

Thanks so much for your good advise,

Peace,
Last edited by Alex 007 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex 007!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The NP-400 is now also used by the Sigma SD14 and the Pentax K10D. It has a new lease of life after KM stopped using it, and every sign that it will be used for future Pentax cameras as the K10D is the first where they have abandoned AA/2CR3V (it is interesting that Sigma also abandoned AA/2CR3V, and originally used the same battery layout as Pentax - I wonder who is making the assemblies used for housing them?).

So we should all be able to get NP-400 types cells for a long time to come.

David
Alex 007
Acolyte

Hi David,

Really good news!

As I personally doing because my illness...I barely use my lovely 7D body...so with 2 batteries will be enough for a long while! :)

Thanks so much, for your information. :roll:

Peace,
Alex 007!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

the minolta one

Unread post by pakodominguez »

will last longer ... but cost 3 times the price of a generic.
voila.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex 007
Acolyte

Get it...photos attached!

Hello to all KM lovers,

Yesterday I received my ordered "Generic" NP-400 battery brand CTA (Lenmar), Made in China"

The "Contact Cover" was NOT supplied with the Generic battery, came with the Originally one Made in Japan...whatever as one os ALWAYS...inside the camera chamber body...so really I'm happy that at least I can protect the contacts on the spare battery.

Here; my link with 6 photos that I shoot!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Alex.Cozac/ ... Pgwj-iWf5I

Peace,
Alex 007!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Same goes for all the non-Minolta batteries I have bought. It is very important to keep the contacts covered, if they come into contact with a keyring for example you can have a serious risk. I once got burned through a pocket lining when an AA cell - much less powerful - managed to short out through keys in the pocket. The newer Minolta cells came with a flat protective cover goes on the flat side of the cell, which is not as secure as the end-cover that you show.

David
Alex 007
Acolyte

Have a nice day; my dear David,

Yes...I saw that all the newer Minolta originally made in China & NOT as mine that is in Japan, came with such less sturdy contacts protector.

BTW...just dropped a mail to CTA headquarters in USA...asking them if can have a "Gentlemen gesture" with me...sending me one contact protection?

I only can inform you...that took only one hour till the red light on my Minolta charger goes OFF...the battery was cool the charger a little bit warm...but yesterday was in my home an a hot day...so I hope that will be fine with this Chinese fabricated battery...I check also how"Easily" fit in my 7d battery chamber & is 100% exactly easy as the Minolta one...so NOW...really I'm extremely tranquil.

Thanks to all of our lovely forum members for all the advises on this matter!

Peace,
Alex 007!