Steady Shot?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Steady Shot?

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

So I am curious how does Steady Shot work and how well? Why? I am considering getting a nice zoom to shoot sports with. My daughters soccer games ect. But to fund it that would mean selling some of my Olympus glass. One being my 50-200mm, 100-400mm 35mm equivalent. Looking at a Sony or Tamron 70-300mm.
My E5 has in body stabilization that allows me to shoot fairly low shutter speeds with no tripod when using the 50-200mm. If getting the Sony 70-300mm means that I can't really get the job done without a tripod then I am just going to keep the Olympus glass.
The E5 sensor moves to compensate for movement how does the Sony a77 do it? i hear a slight rattle when I turn off the a77 just like my E5 just a little quiter. Does it work the same and will it work on third party glass?
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Steady Shot?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Yup, it's pretty much the same, but Sony's SS (Steady Shot) doesn't allow for the specific axis control like the E-5 does. The E-5 allows you to select from the following: Horizontal+Vertical, Vertical only, Horizontal only.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Re: Steady Shot?

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

Thanks Kevin. I was hoping that was the case. I see no need two rely on two systems. I am sure as well I will be gaining more with the a77 since I will be able to bump up the ISO over the E5.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6