A77 file handling (jpeg and RAW)

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
johna901
Acolyte

A77 file handling (jpeg and RAW)

Unread post by johna901 »

This is my third attempt to post this topic. My first two attempts (19/11/11 and 20/11/11) have not appeared. Am I doing something wrong or is my topic disallowed? Anyhow, here it is for the third time. Contradictory opinions on A77 file handling (jpeg and RAW) have got me confused. Blackriver (http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha ... 033417129/) says that the A77 does the best job of any camera he has used with jpegs but the RAW (files) are without a doubt the worst. Carl Gerrard, in the alphamountworld review of the A77 says that RAW image quality is a massive improvement over a single exposure jpeg. Can anyone make sense of these contradictory opinions? Both commentators were using firmware version 1.03.
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: A77 file handling (jpeg and RAW)

Unread post by Javelin »

He really picked poor phrasing. later on in the comments he talks about about what he means and that is that the camera is dealing better with the noise than he can with his external noise converters. People will learn how and software will get better at dealing with the noise. RAW is RAW.. they shouldn't be processed. in fact Sony took a lot of doggie-doo for having NR on their RAW files and having the nerve to tell people they did that on the A700. the new FW he is wanting to "improve his RAW files" if it happens, may add the NR back in and hopefully Sony just keeps their mouths shut about it.
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Re: A77 file handling (jpeg and RAW)

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

Coming from Olympus I can tell you the a77 Raw files handle easier than the Olympus ones I can bring up the darks much more without noise. If you protect the highlights while shooting you can fix a lot. Your friend is wrong.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6