Expodisc with A65

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Expodisc with A65

Unread post by digitalhecht »

I have a virtually unused Expodisc White Balance filter left over from my (now sold) Canon (T2i) kit. I am still learning my way around the A65 which I love so far. In lieu of the built-in custom spot white balance function, do I even need the Expodisc? If it is still useful, how do I use it with the A65? There doesn't seem to be the same process of using this filter on the Sony. Thanks in advance.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Expodisc with A65

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Just scroll through the WB options until you come to the symbol with a circle and two triangles which kind of say balance graphically, and you get the word SET. Place the Expodisc over the lens, stand in the subject position facing where the camera will be, release the shutter. This will set the balance, and you can save the result in one of three preset registers to recall at any future time.

David
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Thanks, David. I had to cross-check your advice. It turns out I have been using it wrong for years! This is apparently straight from the instructions:

"When photographing subjects under ambient light, it is best to stand in similar light as your subject and point the camera towards the main light source. If there is not a dominant light illuminating your subject, then it is important to capture the combined incident and refl ected light falling on your subject by pointing the camera back towards the location from where you will take the picture."

Cue face palm...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Using it from the camera position, towards the subject, is definitely a dirty fix when you can't move over into the subject position and aim back towards the camera. They suggest aiming at the dominant light source, which is of mixed merit. The special circumstances where the Expodisc works best are in situations with large amounts of reflected light, such as a group standing on a sunny lawn.

I don't know if you have read the review on the Photoclubalpha main pages:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/01/0 ... -dynax-5d/

I would still tend, with these devices, to try to get in the actual subject position not even just to turn round from the camera position and aim back. That's because WB is strongly affected by reflection off foliage, brickwork, carpers, interior decor, concrete, tarmac, beach, etc. This may be between the camera and the subject. So you should really move to the subject position, aim back to the camera position, and in my opinion keep the camera level do not aim up at the sun or sky, or you lose all the correction for colour casts in the shadows.

David
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Thanks, David. Very good advice!
bestfriend

Unread post by bestfriend »

I've had a selection of "7" series bodies over the years including XD7, 7Xi, 700Si, 7, 7D, A700 and now A77. Just for comparrison I put the 700Si next to the A77 as I thought the newer "7" series bodies were bigger.