Way Ahead for an Alpha550 System....

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
turps
Acolyte

Way Ahead for an Alpha550 System....

Unread post by turps »

Hi, folks - I'm a new boy to the forum, and I'd really value some advice.

I have now been working for over 2 years with my A550/Sigma 18-250 combination (with a SAL50F18 for indoors); this was my first DSLR, bought with David Kilpatrick’s advice. I have learnt much about technique from reading, practice and experimenting, and have captured many good images; my photographic interests are primarily in travel, nature & wildlife, and our family – the latter mostly our 4 young grandchildren.

In the next few years I expect to take a few more of our adventurous trips – the Everest region, Mongolia, Svalbard, Tibet and/or South Georgia. As each of these may well be my last to the area concerned, I am keen to maximise the quality of the photographs that I am able to take on these travels, but within sensible limits of budget (say, £1500 in all) and size (no enormous lenses). My image priorities are landscapes, especially isolating features from a wide landscape (perhaps 20-150mm focal range), wildlife (to 300mm), and more general work.

Generally I have been very pleased with the capability of the A550, but I am aware of certain limitations : the minimum ISO setting is 200, and I do get noise in some blue skies and shadow areas; and it has no mirror lock-up for macro shots, nor any AF ‘cross points’, nor video capability. Perhaps I should have waited for the A580; but I really needed a new camera for a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ adventure cruise to Antarctica in early 2010.

I have also been very happy with the Sigma lens, although it also has limitations - it is weakest at the long end. I have also missed a lot of shots of birds in flight; mostly my fault, and of the rest probably more due to the camera than the lens. There are also times when I’d like to have a more compact ‘walkaround’ lens.

What I need to decide is where to spend my money to best effect. I believe that my first step should be to upgrade my camera to resolve its limitations; I had assumed that it should be the A580 (which I think would be a significant all-round improvement over the A550), but these do not seem to be available in the UK any more. The A580 might be better in respect of noise, the A65 for resolution and perhaps for AF capability. (I wouldn’t go to the NEX-7, but I’d consider the NEX-5N if so advised....)

Turning to lenses, I think that my first step needs to be to decide between better zoom lenses and a selection of primes. Firstly, would I notice a real improvement over my Sigma with a CZ16-80? If so, then would I also notice any improvement with a cheaper lens - Tamron 28-75, or even Sigma 17-70?

As an alternative to a new zoom, I would consider choosing from a trio of primes; a Sony SAL20F28 for WA, and/or a Sigma 70mm macro for mid-range, and/or a Sigma 150mm macro for longer range (which could be extended with a Sigma 2x converter).

I would really welcome advice on these issues from those with experience – and especially from DK, if he can spare me a bit more time. http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/pos ... e=post&f=1#
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Way Ahead for an Alpha550 System....

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Shirley has a 580 and Sigma, and I don't think we would part with it readily. It is often better than any other combination - A77, whatever - and our Sigma seems to be excellent at the long end - all lenses like this do need to be stopped down to f/8 or f/9 rather than used wide open at 250mm. I have even considered trying to get a second 580+18-250mm.

The 20mm f/2.8 sony/min will do you no good at all - it's worse than the Sigma is at 20mm, and is really a full frame design. The Sigma 70mm is superb.

The 550 is more than competent, though. For your trip, I'd be very tempted to take the ultra light weight, very high quality options - Sony SAL 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2.8. Last week we visited four Med ports/cities, and I used a Sigma 8-16mm permanently on my A77 and an 18-20mm Tamron on the NEX-7. This was just about as good a combination as I could have managed but for mountain photography the high quality primes would be better. You don't need wide angles for alpine work, ever. Mountains look best with a portrait focal length lens, always.

Try to find a 580 if you can. It does look as if it will be the last camera of its kind from Sony.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

turps wrote: (I wouldn’t go to the NEX-7, but I’d consider the NEX-5N if so advised....)
I would advise strongly against the 5N, but very much so in favour of the 7.

The 5N performance with native lenses is rather very 'approximative'. While with that body you get good colours, low noise, acceptable-to-good corner performance, you also get some strange DoF inconsistencies and some quite unexplainable spotty CA where it simply should not appear.
I was particularly disappointed with SEL 18-200 performance on my 5N to the point that I started to think my lens somehow developed serious flaws.

Now on the 7 it's again the best superzoom in existence, performing just like a very decent prime in the 35-100mm range could; but it naturally is max-aperture limited there.
But the 7 doesn't work well with the SEL 16mm - there's a noticeable purple shift in the corners, mostly seen in the daylight conditions. Otherwise, the 7 produces the sharpest possible results with that lens.

While the 580 is definitely having the best possible noise performance, I'd still advise looking rather into the recent SLTs like a37/57. Their mirrors are always 'locked', they have the best existing MF-assist capabilities to help you with your macros, the 37 is also very compact and light. And they have much better AF with video.

David has already commented on the lenses quite well. I could only add a few bits.
Comparing against the Sigma 18-250, you may notice the improvement with those lenses in the following order: with CZ16-80 - sometimes, with Tamron 28-75 - always, with Sigma 17-70 - never.
I keep hearing only the best opinions on the Tamron 18-270 PZD; seems like it's at least as good as the Sigma, but it's also much lighter, though you lose the OS and the exceptionally flat focus plane of the SIgma.

There's also one particular lens that I never travel without. It's the totally manual Samyang 14mm f/2.8 prime. It's the best thing since the sliced bread, I'm serious.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Turps,

On ebay now....he has an A580
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/1_sam_7_12/

I like my A580 although in some ways it reminds me of the A100 (a bit plasticy and clunky).
I love the A77 with ISO50 even better.

The added benefit of getting a 580 is battery compatibility with the A550.

Best of luck,
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Found this as well while looking for a flashgun.

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDe ... isitetype=

Mike
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

Well, I've had my A580 since August last year, and I've barely used it. 100 shots max. Just haven't had the chance to use t due to to a change in jobs, and family commitments.

I'd be happy to sell it - boxed, with receipt/warranty, and 2 spare batteries, and the kit lens.

The shots I have taken with it have blown away those taken with the A290 (which tends to get a little more use, due the the wife having 'adopted' it.)

P.M me with offer if interested. (I'm in SE London/NW Kent, and you'd be welcome to examine it before committing.)
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Now there's an offer worth following up.
I'm sure there are quite a few people who will be interested in that.

Mike
Headcell
Initiate

mikeriach wrote:Now there's an offer worth following up.
I'm sure there are quite a few people who will be interested in that.
I think my low post count (23 at the moment :( ) may deter some people! Buying from a stranger on a forum... raises suspicions. Not much I can do about that, sadly, and trust has to be earned.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

why not put a for sale ad with some pics of the gear in the private sales section.

Mike
Headcell
Initiate

Will do!
turps
Acolyte

Unread post by turps »

David, Agorabasta, MikeRiach, Headcell and all,

Thank you very much for your advice - I know that I've been out of touch for ages, but I really appreciate your help.
Not that I've finally decided, but at least I'm more confident of the direction to look.....

Turps