Today's announcement: what are you planning to get?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Today's announcement: what are you planning to get?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

DK already stated (http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/1 ... -for-sony/) that he'll probably go for the NEX6, and that's it.

I'm Surprised David don't want the SEL 10-18 mm, that is the only thing that they announced today that I'm sure I'll get, but I guess is probably because David already have a similar Sigma lens.

I'll wait anyway until next year before deciding on buying anything else. The A99 is only interesting if I decide to get serious on video -unless AF is really spectacular and Flash performance improved substantially. The RX1 is definitely interesting, but it is not as pocketable as the RX100. In other hand, Sony apparently "forgot" to create a lens system for it -like both adapters for the SEL 16f2.8, that would make this camera even more interesting.

The lens on the RX1 lacks the bayonet for accessories that the SEL lenses have. Other than a fisheye and a wide angle adapter, a x2 tele will make this camera a "perfect" system. Well, not that perfect without an integrated viewfinder.

For me, the NEX7 is still the best compact camera available.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Today's announcement: what are you planning to get?

Unread post by artington »

I've pre-ordered the 10-18 and am awaiting the 18-200 LE. Good travel combo for the NEX-7. I'm particularly excited about tbe 10-18/4 because my most used lens on the A900 has been the Minolta 17-35/3.5 G which is a gem of a lens. If the 10-18 is up to that standard I shall be pleased indeed.

Agree about the NEX-7 being the best CSC although, if it was easier to hold, the OMD would come extremely close, mainly because of the great lens portfolio. Really pleased to see that Sony is finally doing something about expanding its lens range on both E- and A- mount. About time. How about a firmware update for the NEX-7 too, hopefully to include a facilty to disable the damn video button?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, the 10-18mm would be interesting, and it's almost affordable. What I tend to find is that if I need an ultrawide, I needed everything I can get - so an 8mm prime for example would be exceptional, or a 10mm prime if it did not cost the near-£800 which the 10-18mm will in the UK.

Here's my real issue - when I bought Sony after Minolta ended, I imagined remaining with one system. I did not see myself building two or even three separate systems. But in fact I ended up with three, in the form of full-frame, APS-C SLR and then NEX.

I don't NEED three systems. I used to have in the past three or even four - 35mm RF/compact, 35mm SLR, medium format SLR and 5 x 4. I was very glad to see things slowly getting simpler with digital, and the prospect that 35mm SLR as a single system would cover everything. I did not see that I would then build a video system (or components designed mostly for video) as I have no serious intent to be a video maker.

Such is the multiplication of systems now, just within the Sony marque, that I feel I am at my limit when it comes to keeping up with them. I can not possibly own and use the latest compacts, the latest NEX, the latest APS-C, the latest full-frame and maybe the latest video. If I do, I am seriously misplacing my loyalties as I am a general photographic writer and have always used multiple brands such as Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, Fuji, Ricoh.

Sony has made a decision not to count me amongst journalists, websites or publishers they wish to put into the picture whereas Canon, Nikon and others not only treat me/my company as a normal press contact. It's a strange situation.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

artington wrote: How about a firmware update for the NEX-7 too, hopefully to include a facilty to disable the damn video button?
I did learn how to avoid unwanted video clips -I jut hold the camera in a way the red button is not in the way. I don't remember anymore when was the last time I recorded an unwanted clip.

But Sony can probably change the way the red button behave, launching the video mode at the first touch, than start recording at the second touch (the way audio recorders works...)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:Yes, the 10-18mm would be interesting, and it's almost affordable. What I tend to find is that if I need an ultrawide, I needed everything I can get - so an 8mm prime for example would be exceptional, or a 10mm prime if it did not cost the near-£800 which the 10-18mm will in the UK.
Probably the American branch of the magazine can buy it for less expensive? ;-)
David Kilpatrick wrote: Here's my real issue - when I bought Sony after Minolta ended, I imagined remaining with one system. I did not see myself building two or even three separate systems. But in fact I ended up with three, in the form of full-frame, APS-C SLR and then NEX.
I understand. I avoided that issue by not buying on DSRL APS cameras anymore, and I would love a better NEX7 in order to use the A900 only for special jobs.
David Kilpatrick wrote: Sony has made a decision not to count me amongst journalists, websites or publishers they wish to put into the picture whereas Canon, Nikon and others not only treat me/my company as a normal press contact. It's a strange situation.

David
You are not the kind of "celebrity" they are looking for, too old school (and deep) probably?
Pako
------------
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Sony has made a decision not to count me amongst journalists, websites or publishers they wish to put into the picture whereas Canon, Nikon and others not only treat me/my company as a normal press contact. It's a strange situation.

David
If that's the case why not make this an open site? It's far more intelligent than any other forum I know and I for one find your brand of lateral thinking - addressing the parts that other reviewers don't :) - very refreshing and thought-provoking. Why stick to Sony? I'm sure sure there are plenty using this site who,like me, are not wedded to Sony systems in the way I was to Minolta. I already use a Canon 5DII for landscape work and nearly jumped ship recently to Olympus. I suspect that, much as I love it, the a900 and all my A-mount lenses will go at some point in the nearish future, particularly if the SEL 10-18 is up to scratch because the NEX is promising to be an all purpose system for me apart from tilt-shift work, for which I have the Canon (although Samyang's T-S entry might change that, we shall see). After all, the advent of eBay has made it mmuch easier to dispose of unwanted equipment than it ever used to be.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David wrote this:

We have also forgotten about those twin-lens compacts, with a switch to go from 35mm to 65mm (or whatever). Small sensor sizes, new lens design and ideas could make that concept work again.

In 1986 I bought the Olympus Infinity Twin which had a 35mm and 70mm lens. It was my first p&s. I still have it packed away somewhere.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Pako, why not make a pole?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Here's my real issue - when I bought Sony after Minolta ended, I imagined remaining with one system. I did not see myself building two or even three separate systems. But in fact I ended up with three, in the form of full-frame, APS-C SLR and then NEX.

David
Since most of my glass is legacy glass, I don't really have to worry (except for the kit lens) about FF vs. APS-C, so I consider it 1 system. However, now the A99 makes my legacy glass a handicap with the new focusing system, and the flash shoe is also changed.

So, if I buy a new A99, I get 14 bit vs 12 bit RAW +1, GPS, +1, and faster FPS I'll give it a +1 even though I don't need it, and +1 for the rear screen.

Subtract 5 for the 5 flash units I have with i-ISO foot, and another -1 for the EVF, since I like OVF. I have no need of, nor will I use video, so I'll neither add nor subtract for it.

If I also have to subtract a point for all the lenses that won't be fully compatible, I'm even further in the hole.

So, I'll get a good 580, 850 or 900 to keep my current system alive for a bit, and when prices go down, I'll grab a D600 or D800 and switch systems.

If the system is going to be switched out form under me anyway, I see no need to stick with the one I have.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:If I also have to subtract a point for all the lenses that won't be fully compatible, I'm even further in the hole.

So, I'll get a good 580, 850 or 900 to keep my current system alive for a bit, and when prices go down, I'll grab a D600 or D800 and switch systems.

If the system is going to be switched out form under me anyway, I see no need to stick with the one I have.
Older Minolta and Sony lenses won't be fully compatible? I have just skimmed the A99 info since I am not much interested, but I didn't know that. If it is true then no doubt the next version of the A77 and other Sony cameras will be the same. As time goes on the value of the older, less compatible lenses are likely to go down so you might want to start selling them off now, if you can.

I sold my 2 Sony lenses during the spring in Tokyo, but I still have all my old Minolta A-mount lenses and non-Minolta A-mount lenses. I doubt if I will bother trying to sell them since they aren't the top end lenses. Actually, I might someday get a low-end Sony (A37 or equivalent) just so I can still use them occasionally. It isn't a high priority for me though. I still have the A700 and A100 and 3 Sony batteries. The A700 still looks and works fine except for the occasional control wheel skipping. The A100 is also still okay, but I didn't even bring it to Hawaii this time so it is just sitting in Austin along with most of the A-mount lenses.

Minolta 70-210mm f4
Minolta 28-135mm f4-4.5
Minolta 35-70mm f4
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Sigma 24mm f2.8
Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro
Minolta 35-105mm f3.5-4.5i
Minolta 100-300mm f4.5-5.6i
Tokina 20-35mm f3.5-4.5
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think we need to remember that the flash system should be fully compatible with the existing wireless specs, therefore buying a new controller flash like the HVL-F60AM will not remove all the value of older guns, they will become part of the remote system.

Things which need to be considered about this camera include the LACK of a built-in flash, as with the A900, but no apparent sign of an HVL-F20AM like mini flash in the announced accessories, and no clear indication yet. The main AF module occupies exactly the same area as the A77, in fact appears to be the same, and therefore sits right in the middle of the full frame and does not offer much scope for focusing beyond a tight central cluster of points.

Also, Sony's literature says the on-sensor points cover the sensor. They do not, they are concentrated similarly in an area smaller than APS-C, about 13mm square, if dPreview's image is accurate.

There are so many things to like about the camera but maybe not enough to justify the outlay when, in my market, fees have dropped so low it's becoming hard to justify ANY hardware expense at all.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:
Dusty wrote:If I also have to subtract a point for all the lenses that won't be fully compatible, I'm even further in the hole.

Older Minolta and Sony lenses won't be fully compatible? I have just skimmed the A99 info since I am not much interested, but I didn't know that. If it is true then no doubt the next version of the A77 and other Sony cameras will be the same. As time goes on the value of the older, less compatible lenses are likely to go down so you might want to start selling them off now, if you can.
REF: http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/12/3506/
"From launch, new AF-D mode is supported by the SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL50F14, SAL300F28G2, SAL70400G and SAL500F4G lenses. More lenses will be supported via future firmware updates."

So, only some lenses are compatible with the new AF-D mode (3D tracking...) now, they said they'll add more lenses via firmware upgrades -we just need to wait and see which lenses they'll add.
Pako
------------
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:I think we need to remember that the flash system should be fully compatible with the existing wireless specs, therefore buying a new controller flash like the HVL-F60AM will not remove all the value of older guns, they will become part of the remote system.
apparently the new flash with adapter will be backwards compatible, but I haven't see yet an adapter that make previous Sony flashes compatible with the new Sony hotshoe :-/
Pako
------------
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I own the A850,A77 and Nex7 so I am all ready very overweight in cameras. And because I tend to hang on to most of my glassware, there is not a lot apart from the 10-18mm zoom that stands out as a buy me. I would like Sony to increase its CZ wides as a set of the 18 / 3.5, 24 /2.0 and 35 / 2.0 would get me back into buying mode. Not interested in a CZ 50 / 1.4 or paying $2800 for a 35 /2.0 with a "free camera".

However my on camera flash now consists of only one elderly Metz flash gun so I will be looking at buying something in 2013.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:So, I'll get a good 580, 850 or 900 to keep my current system alive for a bit, and when prices go down, I'll grab a D600 or D800 and switch systems.
The D600 was announced. $2099, 24mp:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d600/