Help me re-build my A mount system

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Help me re-build my A mount system

Unread post by agorabasta »

There's also the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, both with/sans OS. I think it's optically the best of them all, and a new enough design to have no issues with the plastic mount SLT bodies.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have tried the Sigma I think that it's a close call with the Tamron on optical qualities, but the asking price is basically the same as the Sony so that kind of makes it a less appealing choice. I know it's popular with Canikon folks with the OS being the main selling part. I'm not convinced the Sony is better than the Tamron on an optical level..you get SSM and nicer build plus a bit extra wide end.
I tried a Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 previously and the Tamron help up very well v that lens despite being a far cheaper optic. (optics that is obviously not build!)
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Barry, I remember you're saying you've got a sorta perfect copy of that Tamron 17-50. But don't you forget that is an exception, and a very rare one at that 8)
With the Sigma version you may expect much better copy equivalence, and, more importantly, there's a really flat focus plane, just like some real macro lens does.

The Sony 16-50 should be considered quite sub-par if the focus plane and cross-frame sharpness are of greater importance, but I really like the way it blurs the unsharp parts of the image - I don't exactly mean the bokeh, I mean the lesser blur that may be very irritating with some lenses; and it's very smooth with that Sony; I'd say its rendering of low blur is very 'classy'.
bfitzgerald

I know what you mean with blur it's subjective and I've used a few lenses that I like very much in this regard (the 90mm is a standout IMO for this)
Suggestions for a decent tele zoom and UWA appreciated!
bfitzgerald

Update I've added a boxed mint 70-210mm to the collection due to arrive shortly (I don't do a lot of tele work but it's useful to have) prices are somewhat lower than they used to be, as I sold the 100-200mm I needed to replace that lens (liked the 100-200mm a lot actually bar the min focus distance)
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Wes Gibbon wrote:That's one reason I prefer prime wide-angle lenses but of course they don't make them for APS-C sensors.
Are you kidding?
Are you only considering Sony a-mount lenses?
What about Samyang 14mm?
What about Sigma 19mm for NEX?
What about Sony 20mm f/2,8 a-mount lens?
What about Sony 16mm f/2,8 a-mount lens?
What about Sony 20mm f/2,8 NEX lens?
What about Sony 16mm NEX lens?
What about Sony 16mm NEX lens combined with 0,75x conv. lens?
What about Zeiss 12mm Touit lens?
What about all the other Samyang lenses?
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I don't think there is much to choose optically between the Tamron 17-50 and the Sigma 17-50. [although the Sigma 17-70 seems to get more praise than its shorter sibling]. Kurt Munger told me he thought the Tamron 17-50 non VC version was as good as the CZ 16-80, but only if you had a good copy! Photozone test on the Carl Zeiss found it to be a very good lens but not exceptional and said the Tamron was the better deal. Similar comments from Lenstip.
In the web site 'SLR-Gear', user reports gave higher marks to the Sigma over the Tamron. Some Sony zooms on the same site were rated very good by the users [although I some times think user reports miss the obvious at times].

The Tamron's price makes it a very attractive deal and not quite so good for the Sigma. However, the Sigma seems to fair a tad better with its auto focussing even at the long end and was a more consistant lens generally.
It was also recommended to switch off the OS on the Sigma if you are using it on an optically stabilised sensor body such as Sony and Pentax.

If I was in the market for a high quality standard zoom, for sheer versatility I would buy the Sigma 17-70.
bfitzgerald

I've a lot of time for the Tamron 17-50mm, which is probably my next lens purchase.
However it's slid down the urgency scale as got the 18-135mm and a 35mm f1.8 for nothing!
So I don't necessarily "need" the Tamron as I've a fast 50mm as well to cover the low light end of things.

Have to say though I do still like the lens and probably will pick one up it's too useful as a "one lens" solution for doing a day trip ie wider angles and low light. Even if the range isn't big. I would like to try the Sigma, from what I've seen there isn't a lot in it optics wise. Same for the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 they look close ish to my eyes.

I used to like the 17-70mm Sigma, not used the latest one but I found I really wanted that f2.8 for a zoom. The Sigma's a good lens no question but I like speed too!

Next up will be 2 lenses for me

I need a better tele zoom lens 70/100-300mm. Options are quite a lot in this range. I'm ruling out the 70-300mm G, Sony are off their rocker if they think they can charge nearly £700 for a normal speed zoom! Tamron or a 100-300mm APO might be on the cards, or maybe a real nice big beercan copy.

I probably will add a 24/28mm prime at some point these are quite affordable and useful, but not urgent

And this is where I get a bit annoyed at Sony for their lack of lens range. If I want a "fast" 85mm lens I've either to pony up £1100 for a CZ f1.4 (which I'm def not going to) the budget f2.8 is too slow for me (and I have the tamron 90mm so no point) and then erm that's it nothing else!

Yet you see a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G for £369. Why on earth Sony don't have a lens like this is a complete mystery to me, it would be a big seller for them. f1.4 is too pricey for most people, f1.8 is affordable and where a lot will run to. But nothing at all from Sony. Another option is to hunt down a Minolta 85mm f1.4 which isn't cheap, but is much more cost effective.

Being honest what I have so far is more than adequate, some of the lenses I can't bring myself to sell. Stuff like the 35-70mm f4 mine is like new untouched and a wonderful lens optics wise, but worth almost nothing. It would seem pointless selling that, same for the 28-85mm. If I were really minimalist I could actually use the 18-135mm as a standard lens and just put the 35/50/90 primes in the bag and bar long stuff I'd cover most of what I'd do.

Believe it or not I know one working shooter who basically has one FF Canon DSLR, one flash, 24-105mm lens and erm that's about it!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Barry
That all sounds quite sensible, it seems according to Kurt Munger that from his tests, the Sigma showed a better, more accurate and faster auto focus system than the Tamron. I have heard this from other sources as well.
bfitzgerald

I'm cautious about Kurt Munger for a few reasons.
1: Almost every lens he's review that I've used, wasn't conveyed well for actual field use (ie either he's a suspect testing method or something else is wrong)
2: He called the budget Sony primes as "good build", which is a stretch by most people's standards ;-)

I read his 18-135mm review before I had the lens and dismissed it as ho hum. When it turned up with the new A57 I was not even going to try it just sell it as a new lens. I'm glad I did try it because it was much better than his review suggested.

I treat photozone the same way, I've read reviews there that just don't tie up with field use on some lenses. I'd head over to pixel peeper and look at the real images people are posting to judge performance on a lens, and read a few sources/reviews to get a more balanced take on things. Lens reviews are quite strange in some ways, some lenses are not going to do well against a focus chart (UWA ones for starters), they might not give an accurate idea of how a lens should perform in actual use.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Help me re build my A mount system

Unread post by bakubo »

MarinaDots wrote:hi,

can anyone here help me in making the flow diagram representing orders going through factory? Ive attempted it to model it myself using system dynamics but Im not sure if what Im doing is right Can anyone here help? Or knows someone who can?
Hi Marina, welcome back! I see that you have followed my advice from a few days ago:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 418#p91380

It would probably be a bit more helpful though if your posts and questions were somewhat related to photography and cameras. It is hard to say whether anyone here will be able to help much with your posted query.
bfitzgerald

Wandering back on topic!

UWA lens pondering but not quite sure suggestions welcomed it's the most obvious gap I have in the system and I should address it
What I need is an UWA lens that is ultra wide on APS-C I don't mind paying a decent bit, though bargains can be considered
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

How about the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8? Are you wanting something wider or only looking for prime?
bfitzgerald

I was considering that lens which one do you have the first or the newer version? Any thoughts about the lens?
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I have the newer version. I've not used it as much as I thought I would but I'm still glad I purchased it. It seems like I have used it for night shots and astronomy shots the most. I also find that I almost exclusively use it at 11mm. If 16mm works, then typically the shot is with the cz16-80mm since it is the lens I usually have on the camera. Did you have a particular use in mind, or just anything wide? I might have a picture or two that would correlate. If it's helpful, these shots were all taken with that lens. Here are the settings respectively. They all have had some post processing done.

a580 11mm 30 sec @ f/5.6 iso 200
a580 11mm 600 sec @ f/8 iso 200
a77ii 11mm 15 sec @ f/5.6 iso 100