Help me re-build my A mount system

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Re: Help me re-build my A mount system

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

Wow! Those are great!
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

The second one is amazing. Almost like daylight but 600 seconds and star trails.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks guys.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Excellent shots thanks for posting those really general use but I know UWA lenses are more limited but they can be handy at times possibly interior shots (I get the odd commercial job here) sometimes a dramatic UWA can work at wedding receptions. Really only questions are how you find the optics? More over whilst I don't expect wow at F2.8 I'd want something usable and good stopped down a bit.

On the UWA lenses I have used you tend to stick to the widest focal length for some reason just the way it is. I'm not sure what alternatives there are Sigma have a few offerings I've not used any of them so I'm at the mercy of real world use!
the_hefay
Viceroy

I went out for a little photo shoot this morning and took a couple more shots with the Tokina hoping they might be of some use to you. They aren't the greatest shots and I'm by no means a good lens reviewer, but hopefully the geometry, level of flare, distortion, etc. shows through. They were all taken with my a100 since the a580 and a77ii have bent sent off for servicing. They all had the lens profile correction in LR and all had minimal pp. All were 11mm and iso 100. Here's the settings in order.

1/4000 @ f/2.8 Focus point is the first fence post so very close to the camera.
1/250 @ f/14
1/125 @ f/13
Attachments
DSC00055-1-2.jpg
swinging bridge
(426.83 KiB) Downloaded 4672 times
DSC00056-1.jpg
Through the steam
(380.28 KiB) Downloaded 4672 times
DSC00059-1.jpg
the supports
(386.33 KiB) Downloaded 4672 times
the_hefay
Viceroy

Here's one more that has the sun off to the left but outside the frame. I can't believe how crooked I hold a camera sometimes. The first is jpeg conversion in LR from the unedited raw file, the second is pp and straightened.

16mm (I thought I had one at 11mm but I don't)
iso 100
1/50 @ f/14
Attachments
DSC00057-1-2.jpg
unedited
(373.39 KiB) Downloaded 4672 times
DSC00057-1.jpg
processed
(450.42 KiB) Downloaded 4672 times
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

I like that lens!
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Super pictures, I had the Tokina 12-24 Mk2 on a Canon 450 and the pictures were excellent. They have come a long way since Cosina days
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely pictures. Cool views indeed :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks guys.
bfitzgerald

Thanks for the info and shots on this, from what I can see the Tokina looks like one of the better options for an UWA lens.
To throw things even more into confusion a pal suggested (quite logically) that as I have mostly FF lenses I should get a FF body. But I am not willing to pay the asking price for an A99 unless it came down a decent bit more

I don't doubt eventually I might get a FF body, but at the moment it's not a priority
I have 2 lenses on the "hit list" the UWA and probably a good Minolta 85mm F1.4 the Zeiss is just too expensive for me and due for replacement once those are in place I have a pretty much complete system bar a longer tele lens which isn't really needed (I'm up to 300mm here)
the_hefay
Viceroy

I think I only have 1 lens that is FF and it's an MD lens. So that decision is already made for me.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well, the original A7 is down to £799 and the A99 to £1349. :)

I have a MD 50/1.4 and a MD 135/2.8 - both beautifully made and make wonderful pictures. I only use them on my Nex bodies. I would really like to know how they look on the A7 FF bodes one day. :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Birma I saw the price drop, there is a temptation (that's a far more appealing price than the launch price) but still I'm not really sure it would be much fun for me. I've been playing with some mirrorless cameras and whilst it's been kinda fun it has pretty much reinforced my thinking from a few years back, once you start to mount heavier or faster/longer lenses the handling takes a bit of a nose dive it's just much more comfy to hold an SLR styled camera in these situations.

It's worth having one maybe but I would not move to an ILC system that's my thinking at the moment
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I see that the A7 in the U.S. is $1298 now and here in Japan it is Y109,000 ($924 at current exchange rate). Of course, in Japan Sony cameras have the menu locked so you can't change the language.