Need advice on choosing a full -frame SLR

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Need advice on choosing a full -frame SLR

Unread post by digitalhecht »

About 8 months ago, after being a Canon Digital Rebel user for the previous 5 years (had only a modest investment in lenses), I jumped ship to Sony Alpha a65. (Again, I have a modest investment in used Konica/Minolta lenses now.) It's a move I don't regret. But now I think I may be ready to step up to full-frame SLR. I posed the question in another thread as to the compatibility of my current APS-C lenses with the a99. The answer is that the camera goes into crop mode. So, here are my questions:
1) Will I see ANY bump in IQ using the stock/kit a65 lens or Konica/Minolta lenses between the a65 and a99, should I go that route?
2) I have read there is only a handful of compatible Sony lenses for the a99. Assuming this is true, what is the designation (other than much higher price) that tells me "This is a full-frame A mount lens"?
3) I am also considering a Canon 6D. I watched a good comparison video with the Nikon D600 and it looks like a nice unit. As in #2 (as I have owned APS-C Canon lenses before), besides price, what is the designation for full frame-compatible lenses for Canon?
4) My third option is the aforementioned Nikon D600: On the surface, it's the most appealing with a $2k price tag for the kit. But I am VERY wary of this product due to the now infamous lubricant on the sensor issue. In all the research I've done, there is seemingly one good review for every 5 or 6 bad ones due to this issue which Nikon is apparently not owning up to. I'd like to get some non-Nikon fanboy opinions on this issue. And as for the a99 and 6D, how do I know besides price, which are the full frame compatible lenses for this camera? There is no shortage of used lenses on eBay for any of these models. However, the sellers typically fail to disclose that they are APS-C lenses.
Many thanks in advance! With a total kit budget of about 3k (for now), I am not averse to waiting a bit longer if people here have a sense that the market is about to get flooded with full frame SLRs and APS-C's are on their way out for SLRs altogether (?)
Ed (Photo N00b in Perpetuity) :D
Edit: Interesting: The price of the D600 kit just went up by $500 at B&H, Amazon and Best Buy. I wonder if this means the lubricant issue has been fixed?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Need advice on choosing a full -frame SLR

Unread post by Birma »

Hi digitalhecht,

For Sony and Minolta lenses head to www.dyxum.com and check out the comprehensive lens database on that site - it says for each lens whether it is APS-C only or FF too. Often some lenses that were so-so on 35mm / FF are improved on APS-C as only the smaller and normally better central area of the lens is in use. There are probably similar sites for Canon / Nikon but I'm not aware of them.

I'm not an expert but I don't see why there would be any improvement in "IQ" with an A99 in crop mode over the A65. I don't think it is as simple as FF means better "IQ".
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

digitalhecht wrote: 1) Will I see ANY bump in IQ using the stock/kit a65 lens or Konica/Minolta lenses between the a65 and a99, should I go that route?
hard question to answer without knowing exactly which lenses that you have.
2) I have read there is only a handful of compatible Sony lenses for the a99. Assuming this is true, what is the designation (other than much higher price) that tells me "This is a full-frame A mount lens"?
All Sony Alpha-mount lenses are compatible with the A99 but maybe not all features of the A99 (AF-D is the 1 that comes to mind - however, this is a feature that no other body from any company has).
In Sony APS-C only lenses are signified by DT.
3) I am also considering a Canon 6D. I watched a good comparison video with the Nikon D600 and it looks like a nice unit. As in #2 (as I have owned APS-C Canon lenses before), besides price, what is the designation for full frame-compatible lenses for Canon?
again I believe that it's more a case of identifying APS-C only lenses - afaik in Canon they are EF-S.
1 difference is that whereas both Nikon & Sony FF bodies can use APS-C lenses (albeit in crop mode) afaik Canon FF bodies cannot use APS-C only lenses at all.
4) My third option is the aforementioned Nikon D600: On the surface, it's the most appealing with a $2k price tag for the kit. But I am VERY wary of this product due to the now infamous lubricant on the sensor issue. In all the research I've done, there is seemingly one good review for every 5 or 6 bad ones due to this issue which Nikon is apparently not owning up to. I'd like to get some non-Nikon fanboy opinions on this issue.
does it have the features that you want? does it handle like you want it to? Do the D800, 5D MkIII or A99 bring anything that you want?
And as for the a99 and 6D, how do I know besides price, which are the full frame compatible lenses for this camera?
Nikon APS-C= DX
Sony APS-C= DT
Sigma APS-C= DC
Tamron APS-C= Di II

Check the lens manufacturer's website.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Unread post by digitalhecht »

Thanks, Birma and Heidfirst. That list of letter designations for APS-C lenses is most helpful. It's becoming apparent to me that jumping into the FF SLR world might not be doable. While I could afford either a 6D or D600 kit, having to likely wait a good year before being able to afford another lens might be just too limiting for me. So I am leaning toward keeping the APS-C versatility of my current a65 kit and lenses. At the same time, I find myself very curious about the (also decidedly limited) RX-1! I could see myself getting one of those and still keeping my whole APS-C setup. Decisions, decisions...