Konica Minolta DSLR cameras

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Konica Minolta DSLR cameras

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks
I'm hoping some these issues you mention are improved/rectified on later models such as A38 A58 if that is the right designations for future models.

Its easy to critisize some of the performance and design but I find my little A37 far easier to use with nearly all the info I want in the EVF at the press of one little Fn button. The symbols and readings are large and easy to read, none of this can be said about my Nikon D5100, great camera, good build quality,great Jpegs, great IQ and a huge lens range to look at but it just isn't as nice to use as my A37. I'm wondering if new models of the A37/57 and others in the range will have SLT, may be NEX is the Alpha mount future.

I'm still looking around for those early cameras you mentioned, its only for nostalgia really.
I have always thought that 10-12MP is where some of the best performances with noise/IQ/dynamic range have been achieved, especially Nikon with a D80/90. I have no desire to go beyond 16mp.

Pete
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm only going on my own use, as I would use raw almost 100% on the A57 I find the image zoom button entirely useless for me (I'm ok with it for some but for crying out loud Sony let the user set it to something else!) Same for the ? button a waste of a button IMO and very unlikely to be used bar image deleting. These are not major deal breakers just niggles and annoyances that could have been addressed in development or with the latest firmware. A slightly more serious one is the oversight to have a flash ready indicator in the VF at ALL times not just in a couple of viewing modes.

As for the jpeg quality that has been a long running issue for Sony. Bad as my overall Nikon experience was, their jpegs are vastly superior to the mush that Sony put out. The other long running complaint is the sad 0.7 +/- bracketing even leaving HDR aside that's simply not enough for normal bracketing.

These are all things that take things down a notch on these cameras, not ruin them but show flaws in camera development and camera design. Handling is still decent despite this but it shows me Sony don't have the right team in place with Alpha to iron out this stuff (the jpeg thing is beyond a joke at this stage)

For the new models I don't expect a lot bar a new hotshoe and 24mp but it's possible they will address some of that as above. I personally don't think Sony do themselves any favours by not looking after their current/past customers more, this is bug fix stuff mostly and it's not being sorted out. The last firmware update for most models was disappointing and added mostly lenses to a database which I will never use anyway. (what's the point if the jpegs are so lame!)

Nobody knows at this stage what is in store for A mount. I can't say E mount has any appeal to me at all either in range or bodies. Some say Sony will dump A mount and offer an adaptor for lenses. But I can't see how this will appeal in a NEX type body. If that happens it will be a disaster for A mount users IMO.

Sorry to rant but A Mount users are second place to NEX ones. Sony added proper bracketing to the NEX 5N (three frames / 1.0EV, 2.0EV, 3.0EV) and sweet nothing for their A mount customers. So if the above happens I won't be "that shocked" which is why I've no intentions of making any serious investment in A mount
classiccameras
Viceroy

Totally aggree with your comments and I don't hold out any hope on next models to be much better. Apparently, the Processor/engine has been tweaked on the A37 to give the entry level market better Jpegs because thats what most newbies will use, I read it some where. I some how think this is being a bit optimistic. I haven't the slightest need for 24mp and if this is where they are going then I might jump ship, possibly to Fuji.
Nikon in my opinion and those of some reviewers found the 24mp Nikon D3200 to be more noisy at higher ISO levels than previous models. All I can see Sony doing with 24mp is introducing more aggressive noise control [as if it isn't enough already] to smooth out pictures leaving blurred detail, they already do this and have been critisised for it.
We shall have to wait and see.
Pete
bfitzgerald

They would want a bit more than a tweak on the jpeg engine it turns your APS-C sensor into a compact camera they're that bad!
The Fuji range looks quite interesting, heck of a lot more interesting than the NEX line in it's current for )for me anyway). I know Fuji have made the mistake of using the awful focus by wire, that's a turn off (another example of taking the wrong direction) other than that iron out some bits and the Fuji X range could be something that's worth looking at we'll see how that develops over time. NEX looks pure consumer to me even the top models just don't do it for me.

I'm not crazy about the 24mp models being honest. Fuji have some good stuff going down sensor wise. I might consider them as a viable option for me should A mount go down the pan.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Barry

Without wishing to offend any one, one comment made by a reviewer of the NEX system said the standard kit zoom fitted to a NEX body looked like a credit card glued to the end of a Coke can. No offence meant, just humour.
I have to aggree with your Fuji comment, I already have the Fuji X10 and i'm tempted to sell some gear and go for the X-E1 or even a X-S1 which is all I could afford right now.

Pete
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

The A100 (and A200?) had a CCD sensor. The race for mega high ISO seems to have left CCD behind in favour of CMOS. The A100 was/is great at ISO100 (or even ISO50 ;) ).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

ThankS every one for the useful info and comments on the KM 5D and Sony A100.

Pete
bfitzgerald

classiccameras wrote:Barry

Without wishing to offend any one, one comment made by a reviewer of the NEX system said the standard kit zoom fitted to a NEX body looked like a credit card glued to the end of a Coke can. No offence meant, just humour.
I have to aggree with your Fuji comment, I already have the Fuji X10 and i'm tempted to sell some gear and go for the X-E1 or even a X-S1 which is all I could afford right now.

Pete
Well the coke can and credit card comment isn't far off the truth. NEX bodies are very compact and small, then you put the 18-55mm kit lens on there and it's completely dwarfed by the lens, thus killing any of the "compact and small" incentive to look at it. The new 16-50mm lens looks better though more compact. I just don't like the handling much or menus they're not intuitive IMO. They've only recently discovered that people want a "exposure mode dial" in the NEX 6 (hello wake up time) then they put the video button in such a stupid place you have to scratch your head again!

With an increased range of compact pancake primes (and some faster ones) NEX could be worth a look if they iron out their handling issues. But for me Fuji have a much better understanding of photographers and their needs than Sony ever will. Once Fuji have fleshed out their X system it might be worth looking at, but I personally would still feel the need for a DSLR type camera, but I could make the X ones work for quite a bit of stuff.

Sony's trump card will likely be their FF NEX, but if they charge too much for it (as expected) it's not going to have the impact some think. If you can pay £1250 for a FF 5dMkII, the cost of a NEX body is going to be a good bit lower.