New Canon EOS 100D

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

New Canon EOS 100D

Unread post by classiccameras »

Any views on the new Canon EOS 100D, it looks about the same size as an A55/37. I guess it was only a matter of time before Canon shrunk a DSLR body down, I wonder if Nikon will follow.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: New Canon EOS 100D

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Meh. Does this replace the 1100, or is it a new line to challenge the smaller mirror-less market?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

It doesn't really looks much bigger...
http://camerasize.com/compare/#377,448
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

What happened to the story that the lack of mirror mechanism would make for smaller cameras? More Sony bullsh!t.....
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:What happened to the story that the lack of mirror mechanism would make for smaller cameras? More Sony bullsh!t.....
?
The new Canon 100D is less fat because the screen is fixed while the A37 have a tiltable screen. Then, the A37 needs to accommodate the AS mechanism. For the rest, the 100D, A37 or the Nikon D3200 are "about" the same size.
Pako
------------
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

OK, let's compare something more like-for-like:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#313,199

For the sake of 61 grammes, and a few millimetres each way, I'd still choose my a580 over an a57, just for a flappy mirror and a proper viewfinder.

SLT hasn't really made much difference when you compare this way.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The a55 is the best, and so will it be forever.
I'm quite serious - the totality of useful features in such a small and versatile body won't be beat any time soon, and that's not for the technical reasons.
The only thing really lacking is the focus peaking; but we shouldn't trust that for the critically precise focusing, anyway...
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:What happened to the story that the lack of mirror mechanism would make for smaller cameras? More Sony bullsh!t.....
Atgets_Apprentice's bullsh!t that is. Sony never said that. Register distance is fixed for any mount, so there is no way to decrease size. The only option is to design a new mount and Sony did, it is called Nex. My god... these people are idiots. This forum is dead and soon it will be gone.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Winkler Prins wrote:
Atgets_Apprentice's bullsh!t that is. Sony never said that. Register distance is fixed for any mount, so there is no way to decrease size. The only option is to design a new mount and Sony did, it is called Nex. My god... these people are idiots. This forum is dead and soon it will be gone.
Winkler, Sony says SLT’s are smaller lighter faster than DSLR’s here http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/slt-dslr-camera so it seems Sony did say that after all, except not applicable at the moment it seems, Sony’s smallest SLT the A37 is larger and heavier than the EOS 100D (but it could be faster in something perhaps) the tiny Canon (DSLR) also has a much better rear screen and a higher flash sync speed. (and the Canon flash system is reputed to work very reliably) http://www.dpreview.com/products/compar ... ony_slta37
Greg
Btw the NEX has an E-mount not a NEX mount.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Greg Beetham wrote:Btw the NEX has an E-mount not a NEX mount.
It's interesting to discover whether another person calls it "necks" or "any eggs."
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

KevinBarrett wrote:
It's interesting to discover whether another person calls it "necks" or "any eggs."
I think I’d be in the ‘necks’ category, if I had to choose that is. The ‘any eggs’ interpretation is a bit of a stretch I think, but who knows, if one was at a convenience store in Yemen where they were doing road works outside and you yelled at the checkout chick ‘any eggs’ you might conceivably end up with a NEX instead perhaps.
Greg
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

KevinBarrett wrote:
I prefer to call it "pointless"! :lol:
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm not into "tiny or small" cameras, I don't have a problem with this small Canon though some might like it. At least they're doing something a bit different.
It's a heck of a lot more interesting than the 700d which seems to be the most pointless model update I've seen for a long time.

Canon have the largest size mount of all the SLR systems so I don't think they did a bad job if you are into that small body thing.