Canon EOS 70D announced

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Re: Canon EOS 70D announced

Unread post by Heidfirst »

alphaomega wrote: Just looked at the Nikon product site for listed cameras (presumed current)
D7100, D5200 and D3200 definitely 24.1Mp
D3100 14.2Mp
D5100 16.2Mp
D7000 16.2Mp
D300S 12.3Mp
D90 12.3Mp
Maybe Nikon have forgotten to remove these sub 24.1Mp cameras or perhaps they are still offering the odd one below 24.1Mp.
there is a lot of unsold stock of previous generations still around. Nikon won't remove them until at least the stuff in their warehouses has gone.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You can scrub the D3100, D5100 and D90/D300s as said they're end of line and stock clearance.
Though I'd expect Nikon to carry on with some over lap for the next batch of releases such as the D5200/D3200 will be around for a while even if they get updated next year (or whenever)

They probably will keep the D7000 in production for a while as it replaces the D90 as a more affordable body with more meaty features. Canon tend to do this quite a lot esp entry range you can still pick up the 600d even though it's 2 models down the line v the 700d.

Bit of a lesson here for Sony too, as they have a history of ending products with sometimes lengthy gaps before they've updated with new models. I don't have a problem with "last years camera" being on sale. I think it's a good way to offer people choice esp bargain hunters. We'll see how Sony handle the next batch of cameras, but I doubt they will have learnt this basic strategy.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Any body got views on the new shortly to be released Olympus E-M1.

From pictures on 4/3 rumour sites it is still small like the OM-D although some people are saying its bigger, it looks like it will only accept 4/3 lenses via an adaptor and its also rumoured to be a sub £700 camera. Many Olympus fans were hoping for a new affordable 4/3 body but I think we can finally kiss the old 4/3 format good by. The old Exxx series were very good and took great pictures and had features the rivals never had, but It was never going to work from day one as it could not compete with the APS-C DSLR's and the bad press never helped either.
bfitzgerald

Initial thoughts are well again same stuff no built in flash for starters (pita for external flash control) when all is said and done it's just another micro 4/3 body.
Maybe a improved body wise hard to say at this stage, EM-5 was not IMO a comfortable body to hold or satisfactory handling wise maybe this is a bit better.

I never thought I'd say this but after the PEN E-P5 being so disappointing (no VF, no built in flash etc etc) I honestly think Panasonic are doing a better job with micro 4/3 lately (GX7)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I never thought I'd say this but after the PEN E-P5 being so disappointing (no VF, no built in flash etc etc) I honestly think Panasonic are doing a better job with micro 4/3 lately (GX7)
It has a builtin flash.
bfitzgerald

My mistake it does have a flash, no VF though which is criminal at this price point.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Initial thoughts are well again same stuff no built in flash for starters (pita for external flash control) when all is said and done it's just another micro 4/3 body.
Maybe a improved body wise hard to say at this stage, EM-5 was not IMO a comfortable body to hold or satisfactory handling wise maybe this is a bit better.
Someone made this comparison photo to show the relative size of the E-M1 and E-M5. It was scaled to make the photos comparable. His estimate is the E-M1 is 141 x 94 mm.
e-m1_e-m5.jpg
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52007419

I don't expect to get an E-M1 since I don't have much interest in it. The GX7 looks sort of interesting, but no plans to get one any time soon. If the new Panasonic IBIS works pretty well and other stuff looks good then maybe down the road I will get one. I like the shape and ergonomics of it better than the E-M5. Haven't held one in my hand though. If I was in Tokyo it would be so easy the moment they are in the stores, but in the U.S. it takes more effort and not worth my time.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Well it does look a tad larger than the E-M5 if the scaling is right. The controls and grip look more like a Panny G than a E-M5 and probably more ergonomic all round than the E-M5. I have no plans to get one even though I have a couple of Panny zooms stashed away in the loft from a distasterous spell with a Panny G-1.

For goodness sake, if it is that much bigger then why did they not make it a 4/3 mount. There are thousands of 4/3 users round the world all hoping for a new 4/3 16mp body, but its not happened.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

classiccameras wrote:Any body got views on the new shortly to be released Olympus E-M1.

From pictures on 4/3 rumour sites it is still small like the OM-D although some people are saying its bigger, it looks like it will only accept 4/3 lenses via an adaptor and its also rumoured to be a sub £700 camera.
I thought that the rumour was that it was a $1500 body - which will probably translate to £1500 in the UK & €1500 in Europe.
bfitzgerald

The new body has a grip which could make a real difference to handling. I felt the EM-5 was a bit boxy and had not a lot going on grip wise.
I know makers love to do this retro thing, but being honest I never found the non grip 35mm SLR's of the 70's and 80's all that comfy, esp not with any kind of weight lens wise on there.

Back to the Canon, I see onestopdigital is now selling the 70d and it's around £200 less than the UK price.
They're also selling the 6d for £1100 odd which is getting near to the point I might be interested in it. 7d's are being sold off there too for a not unreasonable £699 way less than the £1000 UK price they are demanding.

Have to admit there is some temptation here, Sony are just not affordable for FF. And I hate to say it but I just don't see anything they have that I want to buy right now. I've never bought a grey market body before but 2 things stick out.

One we're getting stuffed for UK prices by all makers (some more than others) No news here well known but things have to change a bit from all makers
Two, well if I offload my now fairly large number of A mount lenses and bodies I could probably get a 6d and enough to get started. Lots to think about.
Surely it's a worrying sign for Sony if some users are thinking of switching. Maybe I'll wait to see what they bring out next, but I expect high prices and I'm still not entirely comfortable with the EVF take on things.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:The new body has a grip which could make a real difference to handling. I felt the EM-5 was a bit boxy and had not a lot going on grip wise.
I know makers love to do this retro thing, but being honest I never found the non grip 35mm SLR's of the 70's and 80's all that comfy, esp not with any kind of weight lens wise on there.
There is an E-M5 add-on 2 piece Olympus grip and it is quite nice. Changes the feel of the camera a lot. We have discussed it here before. I never was all that interested in it though since I want small and light.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This thread started out about the 70D, but the E-M5 and GX7 have also entered into the discussion. Here is a pretty good comparison I saw today.

Panasonic Lumix GX7 vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Comparison Review

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panas ... view-22646
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Pretty good write-up about the GX7:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... view.shtml
classiccameras
Viceroy

Olympus are doing a deal on the 4/3 adaptor [probably to make it less painful for the 4/3 users] and a grip for first time adopters. Here they go again, carrot dangling to lessen the impact of the high body price. Its the same old stuff we saw when the OM-D EM-5 came out. No wonder Panasonic are cleaning up the M/4/3 market.
bfitzgerald

I'm not sure E-5 users will go for this, it's really not the same. Saying that the E-5 was pretty big, it also was not my cup of tea design wise either but the VF and build were good.

I called time on normal 4/3 when others did a retreat (LL for one back tracking on their predictions) I knew there was no way it could compete with APS-C.
I'm not sure micro 4/3 has the same fate, the bodies are at least small now, as are the "smaller" lenses. But I can't really see where it's going longer term. As for 4/3 users that's the second time Olympus has abandoned a mount which is why I have no respect for the company. Normal 4/3 stuff is now pretty much worthless adaptor or not

Back to Canon they'll wring as much cash out of the 70d as they can with the phase detect AF, no doubt it will appear across other body updates. Looking at the more recent information/shots it does seem Canon have not made any progress sensor wise or not that much. It will sell great though you can be certain of that.