Don’t scratch that FF sensor

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Don’t scratch that FF sensor

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I was reading the article by Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals where he was saying they don’t send a FF camera in for a sensor replacement anymore as it isn’t economical (the sometimes ‘rarely’ come back scratched from people trying to clean them) they just sell them for parts. Getting a FF sensor replaced can cost up to $1800. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08 ... -2012-2013
Greg
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Don’t scratch that FF sensor

Unread post by mikeriach »

I'm tempting fate perhaps, but in 5 months with the A99 I've had NO dust spot issues.
I have been frequently changing lenses even in windy and even dusty conditions so have been pleasantly surprised by this.
I always point the body mount down to try to avoid ingress.

My older bodies all needed cleaning after a couple of months with the Actic Butterfly.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

mikeriach wrote:...I have been frequently changing lenses even in windy and even dusty conditions so have been pleasantly surprised by this.
I always point the body mount down to try to avoid ingress...
Mike
That makes us two. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

There is a certain amount of sensor protection from dust due to the SLT mirror being in the way. That's one advantage over the DSLR.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

There is a slight problem with cleaning SLT mirrors should they get some dust on them, they are more fragile than SLR mirrors so one would have to be correspondingly more careful, but on the upside they are easily replaced by the owner should that become necessary.
On the other hand, if one should succeed in damaging an SLR mirror assembly the camera is virtually a write off, the mirror can be replaced if that’s all it needs but the mechanism can’t, the mirror box has to be replaced as an assembly which is a major job, the whole camera has to be stripped down and rebuilt.
In any case the dust on a sensor is mostly generated internally from the shutter shedding various types of particles and also lens extension and contraction sucking and blowing dust into the interior, keep an eye on the lens barrel when extended for any dust that might have settled on it.
And of course continuous high speed shutter action is worse for particulates on the sensor.
Greg