Camera status rating

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Camera status rating

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm not imagining this, but after reading many reviews over the last couple of years on the A57 A35/7 A65 and other camera makes, a trend has appeared from certain review sites.

At least 3 review sites seem to be openly biased towards Canikon and Pentax and rate the A57 as entry level as they did for the A35/7. The A65 was only upper entry level whilst Canikon and Pentax equivalents got higher status.

Other review sites with more balanced views rated the A35/7 as entry level and the A57 as enthusiasts level with the A65 upper enthusiasts level.

If you want to do a brand down give it lower status.
A lot of this goes on with review sites depending on which product is high on their list of favourites.
This is also very much backed up by the scores they give.
Just to even things out, there are quite a few sites which are not biased.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Camera status rating

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not sure where you'd put the A57, as a 5 series model tended to be above the super budget ones, and below the 6/7 series ones.
Actually it's probably upper entry level all things being equal. The A65 isn't a lot different really (it's not really a 6 series camera v the A57)

Different people define things their own way, some call upper entry mid level, that awful term "prosumer" which makes me cringe every time I hear it

This is how I saw the model numbering of A mount cameras over the years

2&3 series, traditionally the super budget Minolta bodies cut down built to a budget being honest I never had a lot of interest even in 35mm days.
4 series, got a bit better still entry but more bang per buck
5 series should have 90% of what you want at a not bad price. Better build, but not super build, better featured and whilst lacking in some higher end stuff has all the basics you want ie DOF preview, wireless flash etc etc. Upper entry or mid level almost
6 series was IMO near semi pro levels well the 600si was anyway
7 series def semi pro level, more controls, better VF, beefed up spec higher shutter and flash sync etc etc
8 series could have been a great spot for an affordable digital FF body, in 35mm days I remember the old 8000i, rather pricey it was too at that time
9 series pro level, tough build top dog all around, ala film 9, A900 etc

Couple of problems stick out here though
Both Minolta and Sony have played about with numbering in the past and it can be confusing at times.
A58 isn't a 5 series camera it's really a 3 series or at most 4.
Film 60 was a 5 series body bar the aluminium top place
A200 was despite being a tad cut down in some ways not really a 2 series body, more like a 4 one to me
I personally don't think a 9 series body should be anything other than fully mag alloy, that strikes the A99 down to an A88 ;-)

Not that it matters much.
With review sites I've mostly abandoned them in recent times just a casual glance. Is there bias? Well yes in many ways, it's a struggle to find a site that will take "gloves off" few do even IR gave glowing reviews of the A58 and defended the pointless Canon 700d.

I'll be honest I'd rather read a blogger/youtube posting about their thoughts ie a real hands on with the camera and I tend to visit sites like that to see what people are saying. Review sites have an audience to play to, as do printed publications.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

It seems that Dave at IR has given his Dav'e Pick to the A58 and the A37 and A57 never got a look in. Ok they are no longer made and the A58 replaces both, but he really only seems to base his best buy on the fact the A58 has more pixels, no other feature is mentioned to warrent the best buy status except may be the price. One or two other review sites have also given the A58 a good review but others quite negative.
As we all know, the A57 is a superior camera in most areas with the exception of the pixel count. I suspect the 20mp sensor is the same one as fitted to the A3000. This could be the standard sensor for future APS-C models.

Steve Huff's review of the A57 is quite interesting and is one of the more positive reviews out there. He praises Sony lenses to.
Totally aggree, the word 'prosumer' also makes me cringe and I would like to meet the Muppet who thought he was being clever when he introduced it to our hobby.
I had never heard of these words including 'entry level' when I was using 35mm. I remember asking my local camera shop what Entry level meant? It was a new language to me which I thought sounded comical and in a way unnecessary. I would rather use the word 'Budget model' when a camera was being described as entry level. That word 'Enthusiast', when they try to catigorize a customer for a particular model of camera is another rediculous term. We are all being pigeon holed into catigories.
Even Clarkson has used the dreaded entry level word on occasions when talking about a car. Sorry about the rant.
I give up.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like to look around at various sources to get a more balanced view of good stuff and bad things. I find "most" reviews ie the big sites and magazines are just too much of a push over to be of any use for a critique. IR has IMO slipped quite badly with some technical errors too (I pointed out the aperture ring isn't a load surface, heck these guys should know this stuff!)

Any site that can praise the 700d which is a 650d with a nicer mode dial is asking for trouble. I think it's time they started to pull the gloves off a bit more.
Interesting that DPR has so far not reviewed the A58, and look out for the A3000 review if that gets anything other than a drumming you know something is wrong.

Some of these celebs who are a bit odd ball, Clarkson and people like that. I don't actually mind because they have the guts to actually pan something if they hate it (right or wrong) there is way too much nicely nicely pampering reviews going on out there from many sites. So much so it's almost pointless reading the reviews bar a quick flick through. I've spotted numerous issues on cameras that DPR don't even mention, that's why I've more faith in a blogger who might have more hands on experience and isn't scared to say so (ie no advertisers to pander to)

IR and DPR need to clear out the dead wood and get some harder no punches pulled people on board, so do the magazines.