we are almost there: A900

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Maxxuman

Can the APS-C crop be disabled?

Unread post by Maxxuman »

So what I want to know (and I just posted something to this effect over in DPReview), is whether the APS-C cropping can be disabled? For example, several people (including David) have reported that my 11-18 can be used from 14mm up on full frame without vignetting. Will I then have the option of using it as a full frame lens on the A900, or will it recognise that it's a lens designed originally for APS-C and automatically use the smaller portion of the sensor?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: we are almost there: A900

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We just don't know that yet. Presumably the cropping - which I can tell you is shown clearly on the A900 focusing screen - is automatically invoked when you fit a DT lens. Whether it can be disabled as on the Nikon, will only be found when the right users get to experiment with the camera. Nikon users are already doing stuff like using the 10.5mm fisheye on full frame. From what I have seen (a finder and AF diagram) the DT format is an important aspect of the A900 design. I would even say the AF module has been designed for optimum use with the DT format, not full frame, if the graphic I've seen is genuine. I am sure it will appear in the next 72 hours from one or another sources, but it will not be coming from me.

There's no way the AF would be designed as it is unless they felt that APS-C 1.5X format use was going to be 50% of the value of the Alpha 900. It will be a 10.6 megapixel image, and assuming Sony has been able to use the 'windowed' readout mentioned in the launch specifications for the 24.6 megapixel sensor, that could in theory mean an 11 frames per second sequence rate! But, there's a big shutter in there, and the camera is clearly not a 1Ds type brick of a body, so it would just be very nice indeed if they managed 8fps from the cropped format.

Now that the manual for the 70-400mm f4-5.6 G SSM lens has been leaked, with illustrations, I can confirm that this is a WHITE lens in the same design tradition as the 70-200mm SSM - the drawings show it as such, and I've seen an image of the lens. I was not sure if this image was a fake, and I agreed in any case not to post it anywhere. Now I am sure it's a genuine image. Again, I'm sure that this picture will surface shortly via the usual channels. The white finish is why I said a while ago that the 70-400mm would come as a surprise to Canon users!

David
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Now that the manual for the 70-400mm f4-5.6 G SSM lens has been leaked, with illustrations, I can confirm that this is a WHITE lens in the same design tradition as the 70-200mm SSM - the drawings show it as such, and I've seen an image of the lens. I was not sure if this image was a fake, and I agreed in any case not to post it anywhere. Now I am sure it's a genuine image. Again, I'm sure that this picture will surface shortly via the usual channels. The white finish is why I said a while ago that the 70-400mm would come as a surprise to Canon users!

David
Michael Hohner defines it as black. Anyway, that's not so important, but the range and the performance are.
Look here http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/onel ... 70-400f4gs
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Hohner is wrong, he shows an image of the old mockup. The new final version is entirely different in every respect except size and shape, and it is definitely a white lens (the grips are black, and the lens shade is black, so it looks like a zebra lens in use!).

David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

It would appear we have a strong case of good people trying to distort reality in an act of hope.

I think people are putting way to much in the mockup, anyone like me who saw it in person can tell anyone it was pretty darn generic, not as bad as the 2.8/400 which was just wood with a flat plate glass in the front and a numb for the drop in filter glue on, but still not very well finished off.

This lens matches the black mockup in size, and the description given by Sony. It's definitely the lens. I think folks just want to try making more lenses out of what was there.

I can tell you from first hand.

Majority Bad mockups : 2.8/400G
Not great mockups: 70-400G , 4/200G (the smaller white mockup)
So so mockups: 70-300G (was a bit better than the 70-400 and 4/200)
Decent mockups : 16-35, 24-70
Looked production mockups : both Zeiss wide primes.

The mockup that existed is not a lens that was ready. It was devoid of most features, had it's foot just screwed solid too it.

It's a Pro level Tele-Photo G lens, so they make it white (I will trust David that it is white). The 70-300G is a G, but more consumer level G.

Maybe some folks think what we are seeing in the A900 is not the camera we have seen in mockup since some of the mockups for it were clear, must be another camera coming.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Looks like they might have changed the rubber grips on the 70-400G, too a much coarser grip flute (going by the drawing in the lens user guide that's been leaked), that is if you can trust an example drawing in a user guide, but it would be a good move if they have.
Greg
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I wouldn't trust it. At a small size, drawing every rib to scale would make the grip look like a solid mass of black. Just like drawings of gears or splines, you often simplify such things.

Still, it would be nice if they did modify them some, but bigger pitch, some rounded roots.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Well, there are many excellent AF modules built within the APS-C format - and this is not the same AF module as the A700 or A100, A200, etc. It is new and we can not prejudge it.

David
Dr. Harout

By the way, did anyone notice the lever on the left side of the viewfinder (in the case of the picture on the net with the guy shooting with the 16-35)? I am pretty sure that it is a viewfinder shutter (like in Nikon F3) and that is a pretty good thing.

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Thats a nice thing if that is what it is. I never liked the litle strap mounted slide on thing they always had before. even though I never used it much
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

I loved it on my Dynax 9, and miss it - I'm always afraid I'll break the eye cup when removing it to slide the fiddley little cover on - too ham fisted :oops: ,so I too hope that that is what it is.

Philip
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I actually did break the eye-cup on my Maxxum 5, so you can bet I don't touch it on my a700. This will be a very welcome feature. It seems then to be traditionally on the "9" series only, but I hope it trickles down.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

David Kilpatrick wrote:Hohner is wrong, he shows an image of the old mockup. The new final version is entirely different in every respect except size and shape, and it is definitely a white lens (the grips are black, and the lens shade is black, so it looks like a zebra lens in use!).

David
Is it white or silvery?

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Reported from the Toronto release part. that lens is in fact grey.