Sales

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Sales

Unread post by classiccameras »

Barry, this is why I buy used kit. if its in good order then its usually a bargain, just like the KM lenses. my Minolta 24-85 is my general walkabout lens on the 57, it cost me £125 and takes excellent pics. I'm still thinking about a 24-105 like yours. I just don't know what Nikon's strategy is if you can call it that. With the move to the high end compacts, ILC, bridge, and DSLR makes me wonder if they are going to be making cameras for a smaller elite group of people, every one else can use Ipads/phones. I was in a Jessops last weekend and I had a chat with one of the sales persons, He said he is not selling many Olympus OM-D EM cameras or other ILC's, but Canon are still flying and its their best selling brand.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'll have to finish off that roll of film and get that developed will try to do that on Monday. I'm not really short of cameras or lenses there are a few gaps that are not really that urgent for me if you don't meet buyers needs they shop elsewhere.

This is a good post I ran across in the forums it raises the usual points about Sony's shotgun strategy
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3725013

I treat Sony like I do politicians I try to ignore them and just worry about that photos. I am thankful though that I have been able to get hold of most of what I need for peanuts thanks to Tamron and the good stockpiles of Minolta lenses around s/h. I'll update the 24-105mm findings when I get a chance.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Excellent post on the DPR forum. It says more or less what I think and I'm sure many others. Here we have an A mount system whether APS-C or FF that out performs in some areas the Canikons. Sony, face facts your never going to break into the pro market so stick to high, medium and low end APS-C and a 2 tier FF at sensible prices for the amateur market as Nikon have done. Having said that, I have a feeling Sony are more interested in the future of ILC.

I'm not sure I agree with comment about Canon sensors, In my view they are one of the best and I prefer the colour palette to most other cameras. With a decent lens a Canon IQ is outstanding, but with a poor lens its mediocre.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Canon sensors are ok I think the only area where one can complain is the dynamic range which hasn't really kept pace with rivals, as for low light/high ISO they seem to have put the banding issues behind them and are competitive enough here.

Mind you looking at the Canon 7d MkII price (got a WEX email today) £1599 is a tad steep..maybe the A77 II isn't such a bad deal after all
classiccameras
Viceroy

I think it safe to say that the range of Sony sensors from 16mp upwards are the industry leaders. Pentax, Nikon, Olympus and apparently one Fuji model chose to use them.
Sony for all the gripes and critisism [well deserved in some areas] Sony get, the SLT cameras have consistantly been given high marks by several review sites, even DPReview dished out several gold awards for a few models. However, it seems that some review sites have latched on to the disadvantages of the SLT design and portrayed it in a very negative light, well quite so, but stop making such a song and dance about, when even with that system some SLT's can out perform in crucial areas other DSLR's of similar spec. Of course there is always room for improvement but then there is with all makes, Sony is not unique there. Its seems that all the DSLR makers are trying to make their cameras all things to all men and Sony is no exception. May be one day, we will see a DSLR totaly divorced of a movie feature! As I said before, the Minolta legacy is my main reason for my continued support for the A mount.