Sales

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Sales

Unread post by classiccameras »

Nikon sales drop 31% world wide over the last 12 Months. I don't know the break down of models or what geographically, but I suspect its DSLRs.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Re: Sales

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I read that the drop was on CSCs. I can't remember where I saw it though.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'd personally never buy Nikon again that's the price you pay for dubious quality control, I know more than a few who got fed up with problems some D600 and D800 users and like myself D7000 problems. Not that I can blame the drop on that clearly other factors at play, but Nikon are having too many problems and it surely didn't help.

I suspect all the main players will have drops in sales we shall see how much though
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just saw this.

CIPA data: Mirrorless cameras shipment growing. DSLR falling. Even in US and EU!

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/cipa-da ... -us-and-eu
classiccameras
Viceroy

I wouldn't buy a Nikon either, but some of the earlier models are probably trouble free, but its how many models back you go. I'm sure there are thousands of pros round the world working with Nikons as it has been the camera of choice for them. Canon I suspect come in a trailing 2nd.
bfitzgerald

Hard to say I've used a few recent entry models and they seemed ok AF wise though I don't have the faster lenses anymore to test so any problems might be less apparent. No doubt the D7000 was plagued with odd AF issues as it's been far too widespread the complaints, can't really explain it as it's not consistent back focus rather erratic and when it's off it's not a bit off (which might not matter for some shots) but loads off no way of knowing when it happens. The Sony's I have used are not perfect for AF but they're mostly consistent.

D800 has different problems with the outer AF points esp earlier production models, and the D600 was well known for it's sensor dirt problem which Nikon eventually owned up to (took them a while though) It is true pixel peeping high res cameras does show AF variation a bit more, but at normal sizes you're not likely to see a big problem, however I did downsize the D7k shots to 6mp and it clearly showed the AF as being off even there so you can't put it down to higher sensor resolution only. Big misses are big even at non super high resolution

As for ILC shipments is fine but sales are what really counts. No doubt the DSLR market is over saturated and sales will continue to slow (and prices will have to fall as well as less updates) On the other hand out and about I see very few ILC users in comparison I think the industry is fooling itself if they think they can simply switch over to ILC's and enjoy a decade of big sales.

Cameras like this are going to be what they were years ago, tools for specific users enthusiasts and working shooters everyone else can use their iPhone's and Smart Phones.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I never had any cause for concern with my old D90, best APS-C Nikon ever made IMO, I wish I had not sold it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw this link posted and sort of interesting.

Camera Pricing Has Been Going Up

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/cam ... -been.html
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting article Henry. Makes sense in a saturated market.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Its the old British rail syndrome, passengers are fewer because the seats are so expensive, BR says oh dear are profits are dropping, we will have to increase the ticket price to claw back lost profits, even fewer passengers use the trains because the price goes up again, it a viscious circle which is of their own making and hard to break. I think the camera industry is not to far away from this syndrome.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Its the old British rail syndrome, passengers are fewer because the seats are so expensive, BR says oh dear are profits are dropping, we will have to increase the ticket price to claw back lost profits, even fewer passengers use the trains because the price goes up again, it a viscious circle which is of their own making and hard to break. I think the camera industry is not to far away from this syndrome.
It might be worth a reread since I think you may have misunderstood it.
classiccameras
Viceroy

OK, got it.
bfitzgerald

Don't disagree prices are going up..so I avoid buying these overpriced products problem solved ;-)
Camera makers must hate buyers like me, I only buy near end of life or much lower priced bodies, hardly ever buy OEM lenses or flashes and hit ebay looking for Minolta bargains. Sony might have broken even after I bought the A77 (well they made a profit on the grip), though I suspect they still run a loss on me personally (after my A57 fiasco) Still not bought a single Sony lens (the 2 I have I didn't pay for)

They're not exactly making a fortune off me but that's down to nothing new lenses wise showing up (nothing new I'm interested in) and that glaring gap in the bodies is a problem for them. And I've no intentions of buying their overpriced flashes either..
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Barry, I will say the same thing to you: It might be worth a reread since I think you may have misunderstood it.

The article is about a shift to higher end, higher priced models. Not about raising prices on a particular model.
bfitzgerald

I understood it I simply don't agree that this move will work
Today we have another FF body the D750 and again a move to higher priced models

Same with premium compact makers are cutting models down at the low end and going with higher profit ones
I'm not convinced purely because cameras are grossly overpriced (relative to consumer electronics) it simply won't work trying to get more profits off less sales and trying to push more profitable bodies

Camera sales are in terminal decline, lower sales should equal lower prices that's a golden commerce rule. I can't see why this industry thinks there is any "wow" factor in any recent camera announcements, take the DF a complete yawn all round. Nothing has changed simply offering less cheaper models will do very little longer term for the camera market