Stay or move

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Stay or move

Unread post by classiccameras »

I hope every one has recovered from the festivities and looking forward to some photography in 2015.
I have to be honest and say that 2015 will be my deciding year to stay with Sony A mount or move over to Canon. It's entirely down to Sony how crazy or sensible they are for 2015 regarding A mount.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Stay or move

Unread post by pakodominguez »

classiccameras wrote:I hope every one has recovered from the festivities and looking forward to some photography in 2015.
I have to be honest and say that 2015 will be my deciding year to stay with Sony A mount or move over to Canon. It's entirely down to Sony how crazy or sensible they are for 2015 regarding A mount.
What do you NEED that Sony A or E mount doesn't offers you -but Canon, for the same price, does?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I think for me, 2015 will determine if I move in to my third Sony mount, the FE mount :)

I'm hoping for an A99 mk2, an A7R mk2 and an A9 to be released so that I can be torn between the three of them! All this will be just GAS though. 2015 I expect will be more opportunities to practice the craft of making pictures, and I hope I can make them better than those in 2014.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Pako, the biggest used market in the world.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Of course if you switch to Cannon and sell your Sony gear, that will help with the size of Sony's used market. :)

Seriously though, I understand your frustration. But for me, I'm thinking of buying an e-mount body in the next few months (used of course).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

classiccameras wrote:Pako, the biggest used market in the world.
not all those second hand lenses are good lenses...
If lenses (cheaper lenses) are what you are looking for, I'll will probably go to the Nikon route, where you can find really good AIs lenses for not that expensive.
Or Sony A7(R,S...) with adapters and the lenses of your choice...
I'm not shopping for lenses for the moment. I believe Sony won't drop A mount anytime soon. Even if they are not bringing the lenses you want.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classiccameras
Viceroy

I'm hoping for a mirrorless A mount body and more user control over noise and better DR, but I think Sony are not interested, they are putting all their production into E mount. If you saw their Christmas line up add, A mount was not mentioned, well certainly not here in the UK. With such a massive Canon and Nikon second hand market, you can at least pick and choose bodies and lenses. We will have to wait and see.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Depends where you go and why. Canon APS-C doesn't interest me even slightly I dislike the 1.6x crop factor. Canon FF could be of some use but I am unlikely to move to Canon for a few reasons. If you're after DR then Canon are soundly beaten even my APS-C bodies would thump the life out of any Canon FF camera at any price if DR is a big thing then Canon are a weak choice.

But like you say they have a massive market and system if it's not made for Canon it ain't made.
The market is becoming more interesting no question the A7 is down to £799 in the UK the cheapest full frame on the market, but I have no interest in buy E mount lenses. But I do have a lot of full frame A mount lenses, I am not unhappy with APS-C but there are more options now I would sit down for a while and think about this one as I will this year. All I need is one digital FF body to unleash my FF lenses (most of my lenses are full frame) bar a few missing bits I'm ready to go straight off the bat and without a big wallet dent trying to buy essential lenses.

Now saying that I am playing with the Fuji I have but I am not convinced yet that I would move to Fuji (the sensor is excellent though no question) I'm not sure how many lenses you have but for me it would cost a small fortune to move to Canon (or Nikon) and try to replicate my line up (some lenses are just not available and some would be costly) I am not likely to look at Pentax or Nikon again for obvious reasons. For me it would be better if Sony came out with a more affordable FF A mount body

I have to admit despite not being that much of an SLT fan it's working out fine for me with the demands I make of the system
If I moved mount again it would involve having to dump a lot of inventory though I am aware I probably have stuff I don't use much. It's never an easy choice
classiccameras
Viceroy

Barry, some logical points but for me I don't have a huge system that cost me much, every thing was second hand, I list what I have

A37 New, cheap closing down deal from Jessops
A57 second hand
18-55 SAM new with 37
18-135 SAM Whit box purchase
KM 17-35 F/2.8 second hand
Minolta 24-85 F/3.5 second hand

Canon 550D low mileage body second hand
Canon 18-55 STM Second hand.

Canon G16 bought new, but would not change or sell.
Fuji X10, bought new but would not change or sell
Leave these out of the equation. They are too good to sell.
I have to agree, the Fuji sensor especially the EXR is superb, not so keen on the later one

I prefer picture quality/colours from the Canon but the SLT are also good. I get on OK with EVF but OVF is nicer to use.
I can pick up some pretty good Canon ( and other makes ) lenses on the used market for a fraction of what they cost new and I have a huge choice. Pick and choose.
I won't look at Nikon for various reasons although I acknowledge they make some good lenses

Like I say, a mirrorless APS-C 'A' mount body would keep me on board.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

There is a lot to think about but for the moment I'm hanging on. 2 main reasons, A99 and 70-400G, superb combo. My mates Nikon D800 and latest 80-400 is good but is bigger and heavier.
I don't class the A99 as a travel camera but I have acquired a new Tamron 28-300 which so far seems very good, certainly better than the A77 and Sony 18-250 combo.
I just need some time to try it all out.
I'd like to see a 70-200G f4. Better for travelling but retaining the IQ of the f2.8.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Mike, with high end equipment like that I would hang as well, A99 and those excellent tele zooms is not worth changing, I doubt you would get any better from other brands and certainly not cheaper if you bought new. My question is, are Sony going to support A mount in the future with a new mirrorless body and finally dump SLT, that would keep me on board, but I some how think APS-C SLT A mount days are numbered.

Peter
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Peter one reason I'm playing with X mount is seeing how I can use my A mount lenses on other platforms. Granted the A7 is cheap now but I'm still not tempted
I spent too long hankering over what Sony might do or not do it's not worth the effort or worry.

If they packed it in tomorrow I can use other cameras my photography will carry on regardless it would be a pain but it would be overcome. I have a soft spot for Minolta always did as a kid going to my local photo shot the Dynax models wowed me that has carried on ever since so whilst I don't really "dig" Sony for want of a better word it is a place to put my mostly Minolta lenses (and Tamron's though I have 2 Sony lenses neither of which I paid a penny for) Sony don't make a lot of cash off of me I buy Metz flashes, Tamron and Minolta lenses and the odd body I've built up a mostly complete system over the years in relative terms for absolute peanuts and I'm quite proud of that. I'm not boycotting Sony lenses they're just not making the ones I want

To out and out change mounts would be costly for me and too much hassle
But I am wondering if you need an lens change camera? What subjects do you shoot?
Honestly I like the X10 so much if I didn't need longer focal lengths I could use it for a lot of shooting I only have a system as I need to for working jobs if I were not doing that I'd have far far less stuff (I have to have spare flashes, bodies etc by default) some of my best shots I've had on very modest equipment the beercan alone has been worth it's weight in gold for me. I couldn't give a rats what others think white lenses and top grade I have a good system and it's mostly complete bar an UWA lens for APS-C. I keep some lenses in case I ever go FF I might not and some are worth very little in honesty (but optically they are strong)

It might be worth sitting down and really seeing what you need.

I have only ever advised people to go with A mount because of some of the sizzling glass s/h that's around and IBIS for nothing that's it. Anyone who wasn't trying to save cash and wants to really invest the whole hog longer term would probably be safer with Canikon. All of the equipment I have has paid for itself multiple times over I have no real interest in picking up exotic glass thus I have nothing to lose staying put. Simple question is what you want and need I know many friends who have sizeable investments in Canon or Nikon built up over a long time. One friend barely uses his FF Canon stuff and L lenses. Yet my ancient beercan gets far more use than his 70-200mm.

It's an impossible question to answer but that's my take but I have not dumped down £1000+ on lenses I've been careful to buy bodies at end of life prices. What I have is more than capable enough, sometimes I look back at simple cameras I've used and think I enjoyed those days more. Food for thought